Qualities of film

12 years 1 month ago #195056 by icepics

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #195106 by Karl Wertanen
:goodpost: I like what the writer said about the culture of film photographers. Aside from you and maybe one more on this site, I don't really have any film friends in my day to day world and the only time i really regularly run into one is when i get my film developed. The owner of the processing lab i use is a regular film shooter. I run into them here and there at the different art fair/street fairs and it's nice to get into a conversation about the process and art of shooting a film camera and the fine aspects of using the medium. When i run into these people it makes my day. It's nice that there's people out there that still appreciate the wonderful world of film.
12 years 1 month ago #195110 by Baydream
I agree with you that the film photographer is rapidly becoming a member of a unique group. It was funny that the more I read the article, the more I knew why I don't miss film that much. I have been meaning to get the old Pentax back out a pop off a roll or two but life gets in the way and I keep shooting digital. A few years ago, I thought I would never say that.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #195225 by Karl Wertanen
I knew it wouldn't take long for somebody to come along and poop on the party lol. It never fails :silly:

I can easily say the same thing as well about reading the article and having no real desire to Switch to the other side. ;)
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #195227 by McBeth Photography
Nice read and food for thought. I think that we miss the boat as photographers and artists when we get hung up on which medium is superior, and which medium makes us better photographers.

If you are a photographer it is your vision and skills that come shining through your photographs, regardless of which medium or camera you use. But we should be honest enough to admit that the mediums are different, much different. :)

It is what it is.
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #195228 by Karl Wertanen

McBeth Photography wrote: Nice read and food for thought. I think that we miss the boat as photographers and artists when we get hung up on which medium is superior, and which medium makes us better photographers.

If you are a photographer it is your vision and skills that come shining through your photographs, regardless of which medium or camera you use. But we should be honest enough to admit that the mediums are different, much different. :)

:cheers:
I didn't really get from that article that anybody was touting any medium as any better or superior than the other though. All I saw was the writer explaining whyhe likes film. ;)
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #195239 by photobod
I have been thinking of buying a film camera for a while, this article is certainly food for thought, thanks Karl. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 1 month ago #195243 by Karl Wertanen

photobod wrote: I have been thinking of buying a film camera for a while, this article is certainly food for thought, thanks Karl. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hey thanks!! Icepics posted this though :)
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #195280 by McBeth Photography

Karl Wertanen wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote: Nice read and food for thought. I think that we miss the boat as photographers and artists when we get hung up on which medium is superior, and which medium makes us better photographers.

:cheers:
I didn't really get from that article that anybody was touting any medium as any better or superior than the other though. All I saw was the writer explaining whyhe likes film. ;)

I agree, I was referring to the collective "we" meaning photographers as a whole, here on this site and across the web. I don't mind the casual, friendly banter and ribbing as long as everyone knows its all in fun...

The writer made an excellent case for his choice of media and I didn't see any claims of superiority there, I should have been more clear in my first post. :)

It is what it is.
12 years 1 month ago #195300 by Baydream
Sorry if anyone misinterpreted my comments. I was not trying to put film down because I have a lot of great memories, great experiences and great friends shooting film.

What I was trying to say is the for me, the switch to digital moved my personal skills and enjoyment forward and I thought it ironic that the very things that the author noted made film his favorite were the ones that I don't miss, like the two rolls that got jammed in the processor and I lost part of a memorable trip (sort of like having a card go bad suddenly).

It's the final result and the enjoyment of photography that really makes the difference, be it film, digital or slides.

I apologize if my intent was not clear and/or misinterpreted.

Where is the "embarassed" emoticon when you need it. :S

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #195302 by icepics
I found it thru Rayko; they're way across country from me but what's on their website seems to cover a little bit of everything - film, digital, tintypes... But what I'm finding is it's not that hard to use both/either or any combination of techniques. I still love shooting film, and have discovered alternate processes (and re-discovered Polaroids) and now even have a digital camera. I thought the article/blog gave an interesting perspective on what some of us like about film.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #195448 by Henry Peach
I definitely agree that the realm of film gadgets seems infinitely rich compared to digital where most of the variety is in software. My relationship with my film cameras was much more personal than my relationship with my digital cameras. Although it might be more accurate to say electronic cameras, as I don't get excited about modern, AF film cameras either. It's the pre-1980 aesthetic that I like. Cameras that function without batteries. I love the crazy camera designs that will never see a digital form. There's no need to make a digital swing lens pano camera or a sequence camera. Digital makes it easy to get those results with any camera, but there is something about using a camera that was designed to work in an off beat sort of way.

As far as it being organic/natural and not requiring processing that does not describe my experiences shooting, developing, and printing film for many years. I had the same dislike for automatic film development as I do for automatic digital processing. When I was using chems like monomethyl-p-aminophenol hemisulfate, hydroquinone, ammonium thiosulfate, and hexavalent chromium the term "organic" never came to mind. :rofl:

The most powerful cheer for film is the wonderful work that has been and is continuing to be made with it. There's no need to justify it's use beyond the desire to use it.

"Photography has not changed since its origin except in its technical aspects, which for me are not important." -Henri Cartier-Bresson
8 years 10 months ago #437352 by KCook
As for just what the "film look" is, try these examples on FM -

www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1362110

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 6 months ago #453462 by Don Fischer
I like film. Have an F5 around here some where I don't use any more. I like my med format cameras. Have a Yashica 6x6 twin lens, old RB 67 and a Pentax 645. I have this idea that anything I might use 35mm for I can do with digital and have the result's instantly. Film slow's me down then let's me wait apprehensively until it get's back. Don't get me wrong, I know there's a big advantage to digital when you need photo's right away.  At field trials, I can get you photo's of your dog and in well under 30 min have them printed out. Then if you want an enlargement, I can handle that too in a very short time. But I love my film camera's and if money wasn't an issue, it would probably be all I shot. I am not a pro and have no illusions of ever becoming one. Just got some new 120 film in from B&H last week. Waiting for some cloud cover to go to an old homestead I know of.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

The Nikon Zf is a retro-inspired full frame camera that offers modern technologies like a back-illuminated sensor and 4K/60p video capabilities. Is it worth the price, though? Let’s find out!

Feb 16, 2024

The Ricoh GR IIIx is a premium compact camera with capable photo and video specs and a size that makes it easy to carry. Is it the right option for you? Let’s find out!

Jan 24, 2024

Latest Articles

Learning how to shoot in manual mode can be scary, but with this straightforward tutorial, you'll learn the basics of manual mode - and fast!

Mar 18, 2024

The Panasonic Lumix GX9 is a compact camera loaded with features that have made it a favorite of travel and street photographers. What are some of those features? Let’s find out!

Mar 18, 2024

The client experience is key to building a successful photography brand - you need your clients to come back over and over again. Offering many types of prints will help you do that!

Mar 15, 2024

A camera bag is much more than a simple vessel for transporting your gear. Instead, it’s an item that protects your gear, keeps it organized, and helps you be better prepared for photoshoots.

Mar 13, 2024

There are many different steps to take to build a photography brand - from defining who you are as a photographer to building an online presence to getting physical prints for your clients.

Mar 13, 2024

The Nikon Z lens family has many different options for your photography needs. But if you had to pick just one all-around lens, it should be the 24-70mm f/2.8S. Why? Let’s find out!

Mar 06, 2024

Travel photography often involves a healthy dose of selfies, especially if you’re traveling solo. But there are many other portrait ideas you can try to capture the essence of your travels!

Mar 06, 2024

With proper outdoor photography lighting, you can create incredible portraits with the right balance between shadows and highlights. And with Hobolite, you can do so in inclement weather, too!

Mar 05, 2024