Night time snow landscapes

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 1 month ago #201269 by Karl Wertanen
I don't get out to photograph that often so it's a treat when i do. My wife was in Columbus for a few days on a business meeting :evil: so it made it a little easier this time around to get out with the camera :silly: . I finally finnished those last 18 frames on my roll of film. Sometimes it takes me months to get through a roll. :toocrazy:

Night time winter photographs are probably my favorite type of images to make so i had to take advantage of the free time. Up until this point, it had been about 2 months since i made any photographs. It felt good to be out again.... Even at 11pm :banana:

Elizabeth Park in Trenton MI
Kodak Ektar 100

Light from a nearby streetlamp illuminates this scene.

This one is looking out of the park on the car bridge. On both sides of the bridge at the parks auto entrance are 2 of these neat old spires. Built in the early 20's.

These 2 are from the following night. I made a 2nd trip out because the weather forecast said there might be a slight chance there would be a break in the clouds...

Again from the auto entrance to the park, lit from a nearby streetlamp.
12 years 2 months ago #201271 by photobod
Stunning shots Karl very atmospheric love them all. :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 2 months ago #201318 by chasrich
I just love the attention to details - like brushing out all of the footprints in the snow... :rofl:

This is really inspiring. Did you have to adjust the white balance on number 1? That is a favorite of mine... :judge: :judge: :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #201324 by DonD2
I love them all Karl but the 1st and last photos are my favorites! Great Job! :thumbsup: :judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :cheers:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karl Wertanen
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #201329 by Karl Wertanen

chasrich wrote: I just love the attention to details - like brushing out all of the footprints in the snow... :rofl:

This is really inspiring. Did you have to adjust the white balance on number 1? That is a favorite of mine... :judge: :judge: :judge:

Thanks
Lol, it is what it is. I'm not big on editing so I leave in that kind of stuff. I'd rather show you what I saw ;)

As for white balence, you could say I did that. I'm pretty much against any kind of color editing but with some of my night time winter shots I do. I like to see the color rendition if my film as much as i can but that light from that street light was pretty hideous so I removed some of the garish orange so it didn't have that sepia looking tone to it.
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #201345 by icepics
The first one is particularly stunning, just breathtaking. Looking at the picture I feel like I'm there and can almost hear the stillness.

I'm guessing these are long exposures?? - I know you do those w/some of your landscapes, just curious about your procedures/techniques, haven't tried long exposures myself.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #201361 by Karl Wertanen

icepics wrote: The first one is particularly stunning, just breathtaking. Looking at the picture I feel like I'm there and can almost hear the stillness.

I'm guessing these are long exposures?? - I know you do those w/some of your landscapes, just curious about your procedures/techniques, haven't tried long exposTures myself.

Thanks!! :D

That's one of the nice things about shooting at night in the winter... It's almost always dead silent during or after a snow storm... even in town. Sometimes you can even hear the snow landing it gets so quiet.

These on average are around 20-30 seconds at iso 100 anywhere from f/11 - f16 depending... These didn't get too long because that street light was so bright and the snow is so reflective.
12 years 2 months ago #201364 by Karl Wertanen
Here's one for ya Chasrich. I like to return to the same compositions in different seasons and different lighting.

The compositions are slightly different but still close. I wanted to get just a little bit more of the tree in the autumn. Taken this fall and the other this winter.

C:\fakepath\1st bridge side by side winter autumn.jpg
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #201365 by Karl Wertanen
Here's one for ya Chasrich. I like to return to the same compositions in different seasons and different lighting.

The compositions are slightly different but still close. I wanted to get just a little bit more of the tree in the autumn. Taken this fall and the other this winter.

Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago #201584 by icepics
The quiet in the snow at night really comes thru in that photo.

How do you determine your exposure times for a longer exposure? That time wasn't all that long though I imagine compared to some.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #201586 by Stealthy Ninja
Very nice.
12 years 2 months ago #201602 by chasrich

Karl Wertanen wrote: Here's one for ya Chasrich. I like to return to the same compositions in different seasons and different lighting.

I recognized the bridge straight off. It makes a wonderful subject. I have a few places that I revisit. While we don't get the dramatic seasonal changes that this fall and winter shots offer, I do go at different times of the day and with different weather patterns. I have a few nests this year that I am already stalking... :woohoo: Your bridge is a natural setting to be drawn back into. :thumbsup: :judge: :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #201628 by scifitographer
Wow, that first image of the bridge looks like a painting out of a child's fairytale book. Great series!

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #201819 by Karl Wertanen

icepics wrote: The quiet in the snow at night really comes thru in that photo.

How do you determine your exposure times for a longer exposure? That time wasn't all that long though I imagine compared to some.

These were easy. I wasnt going for long exposures with these. I just used aperture priority and overexposed +1. They didn't break over 30 seconds.

For my real long ones....
I don't have a nice hand held meter so I got online and found the chart for Kodak Ektar 100 and the number of stops to adjust your exposure for reciprocity failure and apply it to my low light, long exposure shots. With my in-camera meter, in aperture priority, I usually spot meter whatever i want to be exposed as medium tone at the desired aperture i was aiming for. Next i increase the aperture reading as i watch my shutter reading move. As I reached the point where my in-camera meter would display "bulb" I would switch it to manual, keep increasing my aperture and continue adding more time to the shutter based on the amount of time that I observed by watching my reading change as I previously stopped down my apertures. Then I would add in my calculation for reciprocity failure. I believe roughly for a meter reading of 2.5 minutes I could get a decently exposed image without color shift at roughly 1.5 to 2x that metered exposure. Untill i bite the bullet and get a decent hand held meter, that's how i'm doing my real long exposures... if that made any sense lol. I'm not the best at explaining things :toocrazy:
12 years 2 months ago #201863 by icepics
Gives me an idea how you did it. My cameras are all manual so I'm already at that step.:lol: I don't have a camera with any priority... it's whatever I set first! LOL Oh wait my digital camera does but I'm still learning manual settings w/that one.

You're giving me homework!

Thanks for sharing your techniques, you've gotten stunning results.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024