Lumen prints

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 1 month ago #203359 by icepics
Thought I'd post a couple of my lumen or sun prints - they're not film but this seemed the closest category (I've tried a couple making contact prints using film negatives).

Attachment not found

Done on expired Kodak Velox paper.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #203424 by Karl Wertanen
These are really cool. Can you briefly explain to us the process of how these are made? :goodpost: :judge: :judge:
12 years 2 months ago #203715 by icepics
I found out about it from someone thru Etsy, she does a blog on it and I looked at her main page but can't find her info. on lumen prints... if I can find it I'll post it.

Basically it's a simple process, you arrange objects on old photo paper and put it in the sun til it gets to whatever color or level of contrast you want. The tricky part of using the sun is the time of day, the time of year even as to how low in the sky the sun is; how long you leave it - as the earth moves so does your image, which can add to the image giving it a bit of ghostliness or if you leave it too long you get distortion.

I like the paper from around the 60's, sometimes older is more fragile and crumbly where it may have been exposed to humidity or water in a darkroom. You get different colors with different papers - the Kodak Velox is purplish and Azo is orangey; Agfa Brovira is a pinkish blue.

The older paper is often 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"; I scanned them and printed them as 8x10's which gave me some interesting images, with them blown up they don't look like the original object. The chain link one is actually a bracelet and the camera is a doll-sized toy and a smallish Kodak filter that fits old box cameras.(Series III to IV maybe, there's no rhyme or reason that I can figure out for the numbering system).

If nothing else I found a use for old photo paper that got 'thrown in' w/some darkroom supplies I bought at a camera swap (the ol' 'we'll throw in this, and take it to your car...' etc., they weren't desperate to get rid of it or anything!).

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #203753 by Henry Peach
A lumen print is a sort of photogram with the specifics that the light source is the sun, the paper is BW, and the paper is not developed using developer. In the past it would have done using printing out paper (POP), but today it is more common to see it done on regular BW papers. I don't know if anyone even sells pre-made POP papers anymore (other than cyanotype paper and such). Check out alternative processes sites for how to make your own.

If you want to keep the original print it at least needs to be fixed, and toning would be a good idea. Otherwise the whole thing will eventually turn orange or purple. Of course a digital file won't have this problem.

It is a great way to use old paper.

You could make large negs from digital files by ink jet printing onto transparencies. There are websites that discuss what inks block UV better. It's not necessarily black ink.

I played around with color photograms in my college color darkroom. My favorite source of stuff to lay on the paper was an Asian market. Lot's of odd looking, semi transparent objects there, like dried squids!
12 years 2 months ago #203765 by Karl Wertanen
Very cool! :goodpost:
12 years 2 months ago #203824 by icepics
I've thought about making a digital negative sometime, thanks Matt for the info. about different color inks, I'll have to look into that. I think I have a package of POP in my stash, and I'm trying to remember but I think maybe Freestyle carries some. I did a triptych w/sun prints from negatives but wasn't completely satisfied with it, would like to try some 120 and work on the idea some more. (I know they make artificial UV lights but we'll be getting into longer days...)

I thought dried squid was just for throwing on the ice at Detroit Red Wings hockey games. :lol:

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 1 month ago #203905 by Karl Wertanen

icepics wrote: I thought dried squid was just for throwing on the ice at Detroit Red Wings hockey games. :lol:

:blink: :silly: lol! That octopus not squid!!!! :silly:
12 years 1 month ago #204062 by icepics
It's squid impersonating an octopus!! :lol: I don't envy whoever's the scooper-upper.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #204106 by Henry Peach
I've always thought this sort of process (printing in a sun frame) was well suited for hand coated papers (or other materials). Below are some links with info:

www.alternativephotography.com/

unblinkingeye.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
12 years 1 month ago #204117 by icepics
I like the Alternative Photography site, I feel like I've just scratched the surface with there being so many processes. I've run across the other link but haven't looked at it a lot yet, will check it out.

I'm intrigued by tintypes, but wet plate sounds like something that I'd maybe want to try as a workshop than at home. Kind of like pottery, it was fun to try but a messy way to find out I'm not good at throwing a pot (well not that kind of throwing). Did see a dry plate kit and I have the camera already that is used so might try that eventually. I just got a Polaroid emulsion kit so for the $16 it cost I'm going to give it a try and see if I come up with something interesting or just make a mess.

I've started trying cyanotypes but for whatever reason find those trickier. I like w/lumen prints experimenting with three dimensional objects which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024