The Point Betsie Lighthouse and Break Wall on Lake Michigan

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #204103 by Karl Wertanen
I'm going to pimp my state just a little bit here. :patriot: Michigan is an amazing state and it offers so much to photograph.

Point Betsie Lighthouse sits on the edge of Lake Michigan on the western side of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan about 5 miles (8km) north of Frankfort MI. The light station was built in 1857-58 and was first lit on October 20, 1858. The light has continued to serve Lake Michigan mariners for 154 years. The light sits about 52 feet (16 meters) above the lake and has a range of about 15 miles (24km). Both the original lens and its 1891 replacement were of the fourth-order Fresnel (Fre’-nel) design.The current light system features a modern acrylic lens made in New Zealand.

October 8, 2011
I was on the tail end, return leg of my annual autumn photo trip through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I was running a little short on time and scrambling to get to this lighthouse. I had never been there before and all i had was my map to guesstimate and follow. Usually I'm more prepared but i hadn't originally planned on visiting this lighthouse. I left Munising MI (in the Upper Peninsula) in the morning and after eating a great beef pasty in St. Ignas, I crossed the mighty Mackinaw Bridge into the Lower Peninsula by noon. I drove the west coast of MI down through the "Tunnel of Trees" (which takes a really really long time) and down into Petosky where I met my dad (who was also on his own travels) for an early dinner. :cheers: From there I headed south for the lighthouse.

I thought i had given myself enough time to make it down to the lighthouse early but the light was disappearing quick. By the time I finally made it there, photographers were scrambling around the structure trying to get their last shot as the last little sliver of sun was setting below the horizon. I couldn't really set up a decent shot that didn't include atleast 2 photographers and a few other normal people that were there just enjoying the sunset :toocrazy: so I went down to the old metal break wall, set up my composition, stacked a couple Grad ND's for a long exposure, and sat back and waited for the orangish pink God rays that usually show up somewhere around 20-25 minutes after the sun sets and exposed pic #1. (1 minute exposure, 3 stops of soft edge Grad ND's)

I knew it wouldn't be more than a few minutes after the sun set before all the photographers packed up their gear and took off for the night. :toetap: It never fails. I love it! :rofl: It's a mystery to me that minutes after the sun sets just below the horizon, all the photographers pack up their gear and go home when some of the best light of the night is about to happen. :slapface: They totally missed the God rays in pic 1, and the soft pastels of the following 2 pics. :slapface:

Now that they were gone i was free to roam. :banana: I took pic #2 with the moon about 35 minutes after the sunset (25 second exposure) and pic # 3 about 50 minutes after the sunset (2.5 minute exposure)
All photos were exposed on Kodak Ektar 100.

If you ever get a chance to take a coastal tour of Michigan, make sure to stop by at least a few of it's lighthouses. Great photo opportunities year round.

12 years 1 month ago #204128 by mattmoran
Awesome pictures!

Speaking of fresnel lenses, this isn't the greatest picture, but here is a picture of the inside of one.

This is at the top of the Cana Island Lighthouse. Across the lake from your great state.

I wish I had the foresight (and time) to get there at dusk like you.

-Matt
Attachments:
12 years 1 month ago #204142 by chasrich
Fantastic shots and yes a valuable lesson. Sometimes the best light comes after the fat lady sings - mixed metaphors aside. Thanks for sharing the location and the timing insight with the fading sun. :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 1 month ago #204143 by Karl Wertanen

mattmoran wrote: Awesome pictures!

Speaking of fresnel lenses, this isn't the greatest picture, but here is a picture of the inside of one.

This is at the top of the Cana Island Lighthouse. Across the lake from your great state.

I wish I had the foresight (and time) to get there at dusk like you.

Those lenses are pretty wild aren't they?! :goodpost:
12 years 1 month ago #204145 by John Landolfi
All great stuff! No1 has an interesting compositional idea: the subject of the comp is light! :thumbsup: :judge:

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #204146 by Baydream
Beautiful shots. Michigan has more lighthouses that any other state and catching them just after sunset is a wonderful gift.
When I make a journey like that, I usually find a guide book that details the exact location and directions. I have them from the Carolinas, New Jersey, Maine, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and others.
I used a guide to PEI to see every light on the island except 5 in 2 1/2 days. That limited the evening shots a bit:)

These are some sources for guides. I get the ones with detailed directions.
www.nicholsonprints.com/Lighthouses.htm
www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=lighth...ouse%20guides&page=1

I also use this site for research them.
www.lhdigest.com/digest/database/searchdatabase.cfm

Michigan is a most for "Lighthouse Hunters".

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #204149 by Baydream
The Fresnel lens is a marvel. The configurations of the prisms and other glass allow a small light to project miles out to sea.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #204192 by Karl Wertanen

Baydream wrote: When I make a journey like that, I usually find a guide book that details the exact location and directions.

It was a spur of the moment thing. On the last day of my trip I decided to add another day and hit this lighthouse and the "Little Sable Point Lighthouse".

Baydream wrote: These are some sources for guides. I get the ones with detailed directions.
www.nicholsonprints.com/Lighthouses.htm
www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=lighth...ouse%20guides&page=1

I also use this site for research them.
www.lhdigest.com/digest/database/searchdatabase.cfm

Michigan is a most for "Lighthouse Hunters".

Thanks for the great links :goodpost: and kind words as well!!!!
12 years 1 month ago #204283 by photobod
Stunning photos all of them, great description "god rays" :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 1 month ago #204648 by Karl Wertanen

photobod wrote: Stunning photos all of them, great description "god rays" :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge:

Thanks bud!
12 years 1 month ago #204772 by icepics
Absolutely stunning Karl. If you aren't already you could be selling these in a heartbeat. Interesting story, about the lighthouses and the fresnel lens, amazing to see up close. All I know about anything fresnel is cameras that have a fresnel screen (which doesn't look anything like that lens!).

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #204778 by Scotty
Karl number 1 is out of hand.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #204983 by Karl Wertanen
Thanks Icepics and Scotty.
For some reason when i upload anything to PT i loose some of the dynamic range in the lower light dark areas like in the 1st one. Facebook as well. Lightroom, my website, and my printer are spot on but for some reason it gets lost on uploads to certain places.....? :blink:
12 years 1 month ago #209669 by bhavik
Nice pictures. Love the long exposure.

Any pointers for a newbie like me, if I want to take long exposures of waterfalls in day light? I suppose for a few seconds long exposure will throw lots of light into my lens and eventually there will be full light in the photo..

12 years 1 month ago #209674 by mj~shutterbugg
Beautiful shot Karl! You have me inspired to get some night shots, just not sure what I should look for. I am thinking maybe the local airport at night would be interesting. Sorry to ramble but as usual you have me wanting to get out and work.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024