Goodbye Kodak Ektachrome E100 !?!?!?!?!?

12 years 1 month ago #207307 by McBeth Photography

It is what it is.
12 years 1 month ago #207308 by Baydream
'Tis sad but a sign of the times. Our club has a contest category for slides but the past 2 years has been used by only 2 or 3 members. It's tough since post processing is basically eliminated unless the slide is digitized.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #233837 by Karl Wertanen

Baydream wrote: 'Tis sad but a sign of the times. Our club has a contest category for slides but the past 2 years has been used by only 2 or 3 members. It's tough since post processing is basically eliminated unless the slide is digitized.

I'm actually thinking of going back to velvia now that I'm shooting medium format. The only problem is a projector that takes 6x7 is hard to come by on the used market and usually cost a pretty penny when you do find one. Buy a new one you say? I'd have to sell one of my trucks lol

It's going to be hard to leave behind the awesome dynamic range of color negative though...... Tough decision.
11 years 10 months ago #234211 by Yellow Bird
We used color slide film in college and my gosh, you cannot get that kind of quality using digital.. I don't care how many megapixels you have. And the first time I used color 4x5? I think I cried a little lol.
11 years 10 months ago #234217 by Bob Eaton
This is why I still shoot film!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :lol: :judge: :cheers: :agree:

Nothing is Beatleproof!!!!!!!!!
11 years 10 months ago #234281 by Karl Wertanen

Yellow Bird wrote: We used color slide film in college and my gosh, you cannot get that kind of quality using digital.. I don't care how many megapixels you have. And the first time I used color 4x5? I think I cried a little lol.

:drool: :beerbang:
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #234289 by Stealthy Ninja

Yellow Bird wrote: We used color slide film in college and my gosh, you cannot get that kind of quality using digital.. I don't care how many megapixels you have. And the first time I used color 4x5? I think I cried a little lol.

Bold (and subjective) statement.

Let me counter with some (semi)objective facts:

Digital has 12-14 stops of dynamic range at base ISO with modern cameras. Film struggles to go past 10. Heck the film that this thread is about can't reach past 10 stops of dynamic range. (I just checked).

20-36MP of resolution on a modern camera is enough for billboards (you can get more in theory with film, but it takes perfect technique, or you're just blowing up smudges). Even 16MP is enough for most things. Heck most people don't need more than 8.

The new Adobe 2012 processing takes care of the sudden drop off at the high (and low) end in digital. The smooth transitions at the high and low end used to be an advantage of film. But sorry to say it's no longer the case.

Colour? Mmm I've seen nothing in film shots that can't be replicated by the 14bit (or 16bit) colour of a modern DSLR. Film tends to be more muted if anything... maybe people just like that look a bit more.

Film is more metaphorically organic and chemical based so you don't get blocks/pixels and can theoretically blow it up as much as you can (there's a theory that limits it to 170ish MP. As said above, it's a rare shot that can go that big) still it's a theoretical advantage of film being analogue.

(Like Karl) shooting Medium Format is the way to go if you're shooting film. That gives you a lot more to work with.

I have nothing against film and people shooting film and liking the "look" of film. It's just you can't say something like "you cannot get that kind of quality using digital" that's just silly. :)

Sorry to interrupt the nostalgia folks. :whistle:

:banana:
11 years 10 months ago #234331 by Henry Peach
The slide shooters were the first ones to abandon film among my peers. My main shooting buddy used 4x5 Fuji transparency films, and printed them using the legendary cibachrome/Ilfochrome process. I thought it was blasphemy when he started using a DSLR and inkjet printing, but deep down I knew that the only reason he would ever switch is because he truly felt he was getting better results. I resisted for a few more years, but when business drove me to get my first DSLR it was impossible to ignore how good the technology had become. I wanted to hate it, and fell in love almost overnight instead. :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024