Do we need Film?

3 years 2 days ago #500678 by martinaconcha
C'mon!

Digital photography came to make our life easier. 

Don't you think it will be dead soon? I mean, FILM. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 2 days ago #500680 by Screamin Scott
As a commercial enterprise, maybe. As a niche market, no.....

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

3 years 2 days ago #500688 by Hassner
Agree with Mr Scott.

A big interest in film cameras the last year or so here on the southern tip of Africa.

Photo Comments

3 years 1 day ago #500717 by pegonperez
If you are like Tarantino.

2 years 11 months ago #501138 by effron
There are a few still using film, and many in Hollyweird continue to shoot with it. It shouldn't be a worry for a digital photographer if film lives on or not though....

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

2 years 11 months ago #501371 by martinaconcha
I think it's demanding to learn where all came from!

2 years 11 months ago #503020 by Stic
Film will never truly be dead, just like petrol cars (once electric and hydrogen vehicles become the norm)...

There will always be a few who keep it alive...

Photo Comments

2 years 11 months ago #503210 by Chris Yates
As a teacher, I have to say that film is an incredibly useful tool in the learning process. With a limited number of exposures, you're forced to perfect your composition, consider your camera settings, and move more slowly than you normally would slowly. In the professional market, there may not be a use for film. But in the art community, I think that it still holds a very special place in the hearts of many.

Photo Comments

2 years 11 months ago #503228 by icepics
I've been reading that film sales are up.

I don't think film was any harder to learn to shoot than digital. It takes time if you develop/print your own. So does post processing digital images. The more you get good photos and don't need to process just to make corrections (whether in a wet or digital darkroom) the more efficiently you can use your time I think. 

Developing your own film typically was just done with B&W film in a home darkroom. If someone worked for a camera store or lab, they would have processed film. Otherwise as a photographer the process with color film was - #1 drop it off at the store  #2 go pick up the pictures! lol not too hard! Now it takes more time having to send out color film for developing.

You want to learn what all of what came from? If you want to learn more about film try http://www.filmphotogrphyproject.com .

Sharon
Photo Comments

2 years 11 months ago #504139 by effron
I did Color film (negative, positive) processing and printing in my basement lab, and knew a few others that did the same. However, unless one was doing quite a lot of work..and getting paid, a B&W set up was an easy financial choice. Once I stopped photography for dough, I did send out my neg and slide film for processing, but continued to print my own work. I still have most of my gear, but some has become a bit worn from sitting. I will never go back....

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike

2 years 1 month ago #538213 by McBeth Photography

Personally, I think that film will never go away, nor should it. there is just something about the process that slows me down..... makes me think, perhaps it is a meditation.

Film can be forgiving in the highlights where a digital sensor is not at all. 

The bottom line is that it is just a different medium, or a different tool for the artist to select....some embrace it and a others do not, to each their own.

It is what it is.
Attachments:

8 months 1 week ago #629901 by kuzenski
I love the long exposure shot of the creek--just beautiful work.

As to film/digital, it's easy for me: Before digital, when my wife directed a play, I'd shoot either 48 or 72 exposures during the show (320T for you other oldsters.) It isn't easy to get good photos during a live production, and I'd be happy to get a dozen or more decent shots, and a small handful of good shots for her portfolio.

Digital changed that; I could shoot 300 frames during one production and have dozens of excellent shots, because there were so many more shots to choose from. It was great, as far as getting good photos went. (I don't get many calls lately, mostly because people's cellphones get pretty good photos these days.)

But when I'm shooting for my own enjoyment, I use a camera that doesn't take batteries at all, and I shoot maybe three frames of 120 for a specific image. Two entirely different approaches to photography for two different purposes. :-)

Photo Comments

4 months 3 days ago #647665 by fmw
No, we don't need it any more than we need vinyl records.  I agree that both will continue as a niche market.  Some people can't let go of the past.  Nothing wrong with that.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS M200 is coming soon, and if you're interested in upgrading from your phone to a traditional camera, this one might just be for you.

Oct 02, 2019

In this Canon EOS 6D Mark II review, learn about this camera's essential specs, features, and pros and cons so you can determine if it's the right camera for you.

Sep 27, 2019

In this iMovR Lander Lite desk review, learn about the build quality, features, durability, and technology that make it one of the best standing desks on the market today.

Sep 27, 2019

In the Nikon Z7 vs Sony a9 shootout, which camera comes out on top? They're evenly matched with excellent features, but both cameras definitely shine in different areas.

Sep 23, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus E-M5 Mark III has been in the works for a long time and is rumored to be released this week. What specs and features can we expect? Find out here!

Oct 15, 2019

If you have a mirrorless camera, there are tons of accessories you can buy. But our list of mirrorless camera accessories narrows it down to a few must-have items.

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Matt Seymour on Unsplash The body of an FBI forensic photographer was just found in a national park in Nantahala, North...

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Jared Brashier on Unsplash How would you like to be arrested by a drone? While this isn't possible (yet), some police...

Oct 11, 2019

Photo by Bryan Angelo on Unsplash A shocking report released by Bloomberg found dozens of Amazon workers charged with...

Oct 11, 2019

While the Sony a9 II is not a huge leap forward from the a9, there are some critical updates that make it a better camera, specifically for professionals.

Oct 11, 2019

Photo by Daniil Kuželev on Unsplash The Tokyo police believe a pop star's fan found her by zooming in on a selfie the pop star...

Oct 11, 2019

The Nikon Z50 is set to be announced today, and indications are that it will be an affordable, entry-level option with a price around $850 for the body only.

Oct 10, 2019