Do we need Film?

7 years 5 months ago #500678 by martinaconcha
C'mon!

Digital photography came to make our life easier. 

Don't you think it will be dead soon? I mean, FILM. 

7 years 5 months ago #500680 by Screamin Scott
As a commercial enterprise, maybe. As a niche market, no.....

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #500688 by Hassner
Agree with Mr Scott.

A big interest in film cameras the last year or so here on the southern tip of Africa.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #500717 by pegonperez
If you are like Tarantino.

7 years 5 months ago #501138 by effron
There are a few still using film, and many in Hollyweird continue to shoot with it. It shouldn't be a worry for a digital photographer if film lives on or not though....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #501371 by martinaconcha
I think it's demanding to learn where all came from!

7 years 5 months ago #503020 by Stic
Film will never truly be dead, just like petrol cars (once electric and hydrogen vehicles become the norm)...

There will always be a few who keep it alive...

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #503210 by Chris Yates
As a teacher, I have to say that film is an incredibly useful tool in the learning process. With a limited number of exposures, you're forced to perfect your composition, consider your camera settings, and move more slowly than you normally would slowly. In the professional market, there may not be a use for film. But in the art community, I think that it still holds a very special place in the hearts of many.

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #503228 by icepics
I've been reading that film sales are up.

I don't think film was any harder to learn to shoot than digital. It takes time if you develop/print your own. So does post processing digital images. The more you get good photos and don't need to process just to make corrections (whether in a wet or digital darkroom) the more efficiently you can use your time I think. 

Developing your own film typically was just done with B&W film in a home darkroom. If someone worked for a camera store or lab, they would have processed film. Otherwise as a photographer the process with color film was - #1 drop it off at the store  #2 go pick up the pictures! lol not too hard! Now it takes more time having to send out color film for developing.

You want to learn what all of what came from? If you want to learn more about film try http://www.filmphotogrphyproject.com .

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #504139 by effron
I did Color film (negative, positive) processing and printing in my basement lab, and knew a few others that did the same. However, unless one was doing quite a lot of work..and getting paid, a B&W set up was an easy financial choice. Once I stopped photography for dough, I did send out my neg and slide film for processing, but continued to print my own work. I still have most of my gear, but some has become a bit worn from sitting. I will never go back....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
6 years 7 months ago #538213 by McBeth Photography

Personally, I think that film will never go away, nor should it. there is just something about the process that slows me down..... makes me think, perhaps it is a meditation.

Film can be forgiving in the highlights where a digital sensor is not at all. 

The bottom line is that it is just a different medium, or a different tool for the artist to select....some embrace it and a others do not, to each their own.

It is what it is.
Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #629901 by kuzenski
I love the long exposure shot of the creek--just beautiful work.

As to film/digital, it's easy for me: Before digital, when my wife directed a play, I'd shoot either 48 or 72 exposures during the show (320T for you other oldsters.) It isn't easy to get good photos during a live production, and I'd be happy to get a dozen or more decent shots, and a small handful of good shots for her portfolio.

Digital changed that; I could shoot 300 frames during one production and have dozens of excellent shots, because there were so many more shots to choose from. It was great, as far as getting good photos went. (I don't get many calls lately, mostly because people's cellphones get pretty good photos these days.)

But when I'm shooting for my own enjoyment, I use a camera that doesn't take batteries at all, and I shoot maybe three frames of 120 for a specific image. Two entirely different approaches to photography for two different purposes. :-)

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #647665 by fmw
No, we don't need it any more than we need vinyl records.  I agree that both will continue as a niche market.  Some people can't let go of the past.  Nothing wrong with that.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024