How do you deal with phone price surfers?

12 years 7 months ago #140260 by Flash Steven
You ever get people who don't care about your qualifications and just want price? Down and dirty and not hello :rofl:

Seriously how do you deal with these sort of people. Do you try to meet up, dig for answers to questions that would normally start building a relationship??

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #140278 by Baydream
Could they be just beginning to plan an "event" and trying to establish a baseline budget? Tell them that every "shoot" is different and give them a basic range of prices, explaining that a personal meeting to determine their exact needs will be necessary to offer a firm price.
If you have a web site with some price guidelines, refer them to it but remember to have a disclaimer that individual situations may vary. If they are going "low-ball", you probably don't want the job anyway.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #140319 by Henry Peach
I list my prices on my website so they don't have to waste their time or mine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: avonmill
12 years 7 months ago #140357 by chasrich
Bet them a thousand dollars they can't afford you then tack on two thousand to your normal price. :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #140891 by PNMBritt
All the time, and I am not great with those. If I can't get them to meet me face to face, I usually don't book the work. I will be interested to see what others post here. If I can meet with them however most people spend more than they originally intended with me, and I get referrals. I love referrals!!
www.PortraitsByBritt.com

In life there have always been those who make fire; but most just sit around the fire and enjoy the warmth. A great mind absent of action is waste.
12 years 7 months ago #144728 by rldimages
Developing good phone skills is important for any business.

Do your best to try to find things in common, be casual on the phone, show some humour.

I think if you do these things you will be more likely to get them to come in to see you. If you talk "just business" you will not sound approachable.

There is also nothing wrong with quoting a range, even a broad one, if their needs are not clear. If you refuse to give them any numbers you may be perceived as evasive.

12 years 7 months ago #144748 by GlamBoudoir

Henry Peach wrote: I list my prices on my website so they don't have to waste their time or mine.

This is my approach as well, but I still get those calls. I can usually tell what kind of client I'm dealing with by the tone, the way they word it, and whether or not they have other questions. If I feel they are looking just for the cheapest photog, I refer them to my website, and say, "If you're looking for the cheapest photographer, it's not me. I'm also not the most expensive, and I am confident my work speaks for itself.

Funny thing is reading that everybody wants to get them to an in-person meeting. To me, that's a waste of my time unless they are paying for the consultation. There's nothing I can tell them in person that I can't tell them on the phone. My website answers all the questions and shows more than enough of my work. It even has a video with me introducing myself and talking about what they can expect from their shoot.

Then again, I don't shoot weddings, but do strictly boudoir only...so maybe that's the difference?

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #144800 by MLKstudios
You're doing it right, Glam.

That "instinct" comes after awhile. You get a sense of who is shopping for what you sell, and who is looking for a blue light special.

Just because they ask prices from the get-go, doesn't mean they all are cheap. If you can turn them into customers, that's a good thing.

Matthew :)

"Helping the world become a better place, one photographer at a time."

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 2 months ago #198168 by colebennett_
I always deal with question of price by responding with questions myself.

Providing photography is providing a service. And providing good service is founded on good listening.

Often what us photographers call "price shoppers" are really just people with no experience buying photography. My wife and I have a questionnaire for our wedding photography which helps us listen to the desire of the client, before dropping a price. This is our way of delivering service from the get-go.

Of course, the initial "Our weddings start at" is always a good way to save everyone time.

But if you've mentioned your average, or even your base price and they want to hear more, then you're on your way!

An Illustrative Photographer
colebennett.com

12 years 2 months ago #198171 by Darrell
I don't understand the problem. You do have to ask what they are looking for or else give a wide price range. People have to start somewhere and most have a budget. If they can only afford $1000.00 than it does not matter what you offer or how good you are if they can't afford you. Once they get a few photographers in their price range than I would assume they look at what they have to offer and quality.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #198196 by baldman11
In this day and age of the price being king I think it's important to educate the client about value and not just price. Unfortunately most consumers don't have any experience dealing with a photographer. So they think it's like buying toilet paper. They take the attitude of "It's all the same. I just want the best price." Well we all know you get what you pay for. I take the time to talk to the potential client and get a feel for what they are looking for. You will be amazed at how some people will respond to your interaction with them. Very rarely do I get them booking right then and there. They'll go their merry way and make a couple of more phone calls. Eventually and sometimes too late, they will realize that by taking that extra 2 minutes and being genuinely interested in what THEY have to say, you are the photographer for them.

12 years 2 months ago #198226 by Henry Peach
I didn't mean to suggest that I wouldn't talk to people inquiring about price. I just don't get many calls from people who aren't aware of my price range, at least when it comes to wedding and portrait photography. I do other jobs and sales occasionally that don't have a specific price, and a discussion must occur before I can give a quote. I am happy to go over what is provided for what price on the phone or in person, but I'm not interested in trying to justify my prices, nor trying to talk some one into hiring me if looking at my portfolio didn't excite them. I've found that if someone is seriously looking to hire a photographer they will almost always start with comments about their wedding, description of the project, what they need in a portrait session, etc... Price is the first question in an email from the Prince of Nigeria (who is getting married soon, and wants to hire me! ), not an actual bride-to-be. :)
12 years 2 months ago #198298 by Bubbles
I just tell them what my base line price is. If they like the price, they will call me back for more details.

12 years 2 months ago #198802 by John37
Something I train my agents is to never give the price up front. First, gather information, build value, give price, then close the deal. If you can't close the deal, ask why and see if you can overcome their objections. Asking why is a valuable question. If price is all they're after it won't matter much. But people are generally ignorant when it comes to EVERYTHING they're not already associated with in some way!

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
12 years 2 months ago #200919 by farhadali
clipping path offer infinity clipping path

Thanks,

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024