Rookies claiming to be Pro Photographer killing the industry?

12 years 7 months ago #144236 by Flash Steven
First let me say I don't mind competition, I just think certain photographers who are claiming to be pro's are killing the industry. For example 2 months ago a wedding client turned me down to go with a much lesser priced photographer she found on Craigslist. She asked for me to become more competitive with their prices, I told her you pay for what you get and I couldn't discount my rates to what the other photographer. I warned her, you get what you pay for.

So I got a call from her yesterday, apparently the photo's that were taken of their wedding were horrible and the photographer just gave her a CD with only 66 photos on it. I was expecting her to say, "you were right". But she starts cursing me out saying "All photographers are a joke, all you want is to snap some quick photos and make a bundle". I'm thinking are you serious?! I warned her!

Moving forward this does bother me that there are photographers claiming to be something they aren't, this is doing the industry more negative then good IMHO. These photographers think that all you need is a camera and business cards and your off to becoming a professional photographers need to smarten up. They are making consumers spread negative remarks about the industry. Photographers will have a used car salesman reputation soon!

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
The topic has been locked.
12 years 7 months ago #144237 by Dave Burburry
It's her own fault, people make wrong decisions all day long. You warned her, and she continued to go the cheaper route.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: samiam, bluebox
12 years 7 months ago #144264 by rldimages
I am a lawyer and I hear lawyers saying the same thing about paralegals or even lawyers who undercut their price.

Personally I just see it as a new marketing challenge for photographers who need to differentiate themselves and educate their potential customers better.

And if you consider the 80/20 business rule you are likely better off without the clients who are only buying based on price.

I know an old lawyer who used to practice in the same building as a new and larger firm.

A client came to him and said (this was many years ago). How can you charge $150 for a drunk driving defense when the firm upstairs charges $100.

To which my friend replied, "If you want a $100 defense go upstairs. If you want a $150 defense, stay here."

The following user(s) said Thank You: love4shihtzu
12 years 7 months ago #144266 by Number 7
I agree with that, but the client will hold the industry liable for their bad decision. "Lawyers, photographers, car sales people, etc..." are all @#$@#^%. When their statement is based off a poor decision they made.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #144267 by Maria21
Not that I condone what this other photographer did, but everyone has to get a start somewhere. I took the route of actually working in a studio with another photographer to get experience before trying to make it on my own.I think I would have just told the client that maybe they should have asked to see the work of the other photographer & references before making such a decision.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 7 months ago #144268 by butterflygirl921
I understand that your mad but you cant say that all rookies are destroying the photography field. this woman has to understand that you get what you pay for. ok this rookie got one of your customers but move on dont start with the whole all rookies are destroying this field.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #144269 by photomarketingusa
Any professional photographer will sit down with a client and lay out the marketing plan as to how the shoot will go. Plus, the photographer will present to the client the expectations the client should assume to be what is wanted.

For the photographer not to do that then it's the photographer's fault if they loose the business to the less expensive "rookie" On another note, some people simply cannot afford to have a high overhead photographer shooting their wedding. It's interesting to note the photographers who whine the most about the less expensive photographer are also the ones who don't have control of their costs.

It's all about marketing. If you don't know how to market yourself, you deserve to be undercut. However, by the same principal, if the client hasn't done her homework and said this is what she wants, then the client deserves to get ripped off by the cheap-o photographer.

Professionals are not
defined by what they charge. Professionals are those who market themselves to the clientèle who want to do business with them. If they don't tell the client what to expect, that doesn't mean they are rookies or non-professionals; it means that they lack the same skill set of marketing as the more expensive photographer with the high overhead studio.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: samiam
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #144270 by wagaboo
I agree with the All Rookies statement from above, don't lump them all into one so to speak. I have seen many "Rookies" out shoot MANY so called pros !
My 2 cents :watching: :toocrazy:

The following user(s) said Thank You: waynerd, bluebox, love4shihtzu, Trilby, frs882
12 years 7 months ago #144271 by adi
Hi there,

I know what you mean, but consider this, I am yet not as experienced as many photographers out there but I do think my work speaks for itself. If a client chooses someone else over me, I just think their work is better.

At the end of the day, the client pays for quality. And if someone is providing the same quality for less, why wouldn't the client take it? (unless of course if you have a big name!)

I guess it's the same with any profession.

Take care n good luck!

Adi

12 years 7 months ago #144277 by Psmurf
I will not shoot wedding I just don't like them its a personal thing, however, many years ago I shoot my first wedding and it was a friend of mine I didn't charge them just had to pay to have the film developed I had shot many many roles I wanted the experince..... fast forward to last year when I got married 2 days before my wedding I had to find another photographer (my other cancelled on me) they were so bad I had tp do alot of PP on my own and when I went to get prints made I didn't even need the copyright release (which yes I did have, the photographer didn't have a copyright on their photos) to pick them up... OK I understand that all need to get a start however my wife (the bride) shouldn't have to take contol of the shoot. I know I will get comments on this I will answer them all

12 years 7 months ago #144281 by samiam
How sad for you to take a call of a Bridezilla after the fact....I too was a broke bride and hired someone from Craigslist after letting them know I was an ameture photographer and what I expected and didnt get what I paid for!! The pics and videos were substandard and being an ameture photographer was expecting at least to the standard of what I take..... However on the upside...I have two family members who are professional photographers and wound up with my best pictures from them and the ones I took myself (on my own wedding day!) You warned her...in my case I expected some not so good photos from them but wanted something to remember the day....Either way, the day turned out to be my dream wedding despite the photographers being uneducated...I know people need to start somewhere but dont bite off more than you can chew....especially when shooting a day as important as that!! The photographers sounded like they had no clue how sad.....you know what they say...one bad apple can spoil the bunch!!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: love4shihtzu
12 years 7 months ago #144282 by stevenjdonley
You can't lump in all rookies together. I'm a rookie in the professional area, but I started to develop my own b/w film and prints 23 years ago. I used to shoot a Nikon D80 for some USHL hockey and people were amazed that I could get such great shots with a non-professional camera and a slow lens (5.6 @ the 200mm zoom mark)

The difference is some rookies do just buy a camera, think they can compose images and then start charging low rates because they don't think it's right to charge $100+/hour for shooting. Of course, they aren't thinking of the hours of editing they are doing for that $20/hr fee they might charge.

People need to start somewhere, but the undercut on the market is ridiculous! Also, too many photographers are relying on Photoshop or the lab to correct things and make the images look great. Sadly, too many people are moving away from composition in the viewfinder and THAT is doing harm to the industry.

Enlightenment begins where the pavement ends...

Facebook Page

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tomw, love4shihtzu
12 years 7 months ago #144288 by TheNissanMan
It's an old argument that will no doubt be going on for a long, long time.

There are ams who are naturally good at what they do who will charge less as they are getting their foot in the door and at the same time there are ams who have money, buy expensive kit and reckon they know everything. On the reverse there are pro's who have been around the block and charge for sub standard work and pro's who charge a bundle and nail it every single time.

As said in every business you get the good and the bad, it comes down to your portfolio, salesmanship and the market your going for. The best photographer in the world would never make it in weddings if he could not communicate properly with the bride/groom or sell his skills...

It's a difficult one to call.

In this instance the OP has warned the bride but has not managed to sell himself well enough for the bride to see the added value in the product he has to offer, unfortunately the bride has then gone on to see what naff photographers are out there.

12 years 7 months ago #144290 by kimw56
I am an amateur trying to learn to be a pro......with that said....I am very honest about my abilities and level of expertise with anyone that approaches me. I have gotten some tutoring from a professional and spend a lot of time doing online tutorials and workshops. I would never do a wedding or anything that could not have a "do over" if the pictures don't turn out. I am not trying to take business from anyone. I think there is a lot of room for all types of photopraphers out there these days. Be honest...most people can't afford the prices of the seasoned veterans. There just needs to be options for people. There will still be plenty of work for those that have been doing this for years and are experienced enough to charge higher prices. I live in a small community where times are hard and sometimes people just want some nice photos of their family. I try to fill that niche. I have to say that the professionals that I have worked with have been more than willing to share their knowledge and encourage me. They are not worried that I am going to take any of their work. It is just about the love of photography.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Angela W, love4shihtzu
12 years 7 months ago #144292 by rahul singh
I completely agree with what you are stating, but is there any way out to kick them off the market ?
I think there should be an international association/organisation which shall take responsibility to authenticate professional photographers.

shot by Singh

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024