Rookies claiming to be Pro Photographer killing the industry?

12 years 2 months ago #193282 by Baydream

rahul singh wrote: I completely agree with what you are stating, but is there any way out to kick them off the market ?
I think there should be an international association/organisation which shall take responsibility to authenticate professional photographers.

35mmwebdesign posted this response. Post was deleted and replaced since signature violated PT policy.
"
This would be impossible to do and would leave many skilled photographers struggling to get authentication. It would be incredibly difficult to authenticate a creative industry such as photography.

Again, see it as an opportunity to focus your marketing strategy on what you are good at. Don't try to compete on price, but on the level of service that you provide, or your creative niche. The customers who understand this are most likely the customers you will be able to work much better with, as opposed to those that want the lowest price. "

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The topic has been locked.
12 years 2 months ago #193286 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:
Being pro tends to suck the fun out of it.

Amen. Still beats working at a desk editing photos all day for a living... wait-a-minnet?!?! :blink:

I just caught that. :nunu:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #197090 by MARKFORDYCE
I am an ameteaur photographer. I am studying to learn more and strive to be "professional" however I do not bill myself as a pro. I think a lot of people have bought a digital slr and photoshop and think they are ready to set up business. A was recently asked by a friend to shoot his wedding. I want to to help him out but it is not what I do. I asked him to make sure his wife to be felt comfortable not using someone with moe experience because it is a one day one chance to get it right.

11 years 10 months ago #229608 by Nikon-oclast
I think you're a bit confused on some of your terminology. A profesional is anyone that's made money at their chosen profession. Just because they're a "rookie" at it and not as good as someone else, doesn't make them any less a professional.

As for your "wedding client". Why was she YOUR client? Is she a professional bride? I doubt it. You may have pitched your services to her, but because you failed to get a deposit means you lost. I'd even say that it makes you less of a pro than you think you are. As for what she got? She got what she paid for. Did she ask what she was getting for such a good price? Probably not, so she loses too. I've done projects that I charged thousands for and comparable projects I've charged hundreds for, the only difference being that the lesser of the two got less, simple as that.

One thing I don't accept in your weak rant is that a rookie is a bad photographer. My14 year old, with her camera phone takes better photos than some of my local (so called) competition with a ten thousand dollar body and prime lens set-up. You can have the best of the best, but if you don't have the eye it takes to be a truly good photographer, then your not as good as you think you are.

As for wedding photography? Personally I loath it and don't respect any photographer whose sole work is wedding based. I'll do weddings, but I charge an arm and a leg and they get a final package that rivals anyones.

In conclusion, please get off you high horse.

11 years 10 months ago #229615 by Scotty

Nikon-oclast wrote: I think you're a bit confused on some of your terminology. A profesional is anyone that's made money at their chosen profession. Just because they're a "rookie" at it and not as good as someone else, doesn't make them any less a professional.

As for your "wedding client". Why was she YOUR client? Is she a professional bride? I doubt it. You may have pitched your services to her, but because you failed to get a deposit means you lost. I'd even say that it makes you less of a pro than you think you are. As for what she got? She got what she paid for. Did she ask what she was getting for such a good price? Probably not, so she loses too. I've done projects that I charged thousands for and comparable projects I've charged hundreds for, the only difference being that the lesser of the two got less, simple as that.

One thing I don't accept in your weak rant is that a rookie is a bad photographer. My14 year old, with her camera phone takes better photos than some of my local (so called) competition with a ten thousand dollar body and prime lens set-up. You can have the best of the best, but if you don't have the eye it takes to be a truly good photographer, then your not as good as you think you are.

As for wedding photography? Personally I loath it and don't respect any photographer whose sole work is wedding based. I'll do weddings, but I charge an arm and a leg and they get a final package that rivals anyones.

In conclusion, please get off you high horse.

The only one thats on a high horse is you. Some of the most talented photographers in the world do weddings.

Take the attitude somewhere else.

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #229622 by Nikon-oclast

Scotty wrote: The only one thats on a high horse is you. Some of the most talented photographers in the world do weddings.

Don't be mad because I loath wedding "only" photographers. Someone with limited abilities has to do it, so have at it.

Talent is subjective, but I challenge you to name 3 world class (and know) photographers who shoot "only" weddings.

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #229653 by Henry Peach
This subject sure brings out the douche-bags. :P

I remember hearing pros bitch the same way when I worked at the film lab 15+ years ago.

"Somebody let the rabble in." - A dedicated collodion process photographer lamenting how new-fangled film made it so easy that anyone could be a photographer.

Photography attracts all sorts of folks. Many of them probably think they are better than they are. Some of them bite off more than they are ready to chew. Some need to insult and put down others to feel secure. I've been guilty of it all at some time or another. In the end success really does depend on the portfolio and hard work, and that's up to the individual. Blaming failure on other folks isn't likely to help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dr_skn08
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #229672 by Scotty

Nikon-oclast wrote:

Scotty wrote: The only one thats on a high horse is you. Some of the most talented photographers in the world do weddings.

Don't be mad because I loath wedding "only" photographers. Someone with limited abilities has to do it, so have at it.

Talent is subjective, but I challenge you to name 3 world class (and know) photographers who shoot "only" weddings.

I'm not mad. I'm telling you how it is.

I'm not not being baited into this. There are wedding photographers that make millions, and its enough to warrant Nikon ane Canon to spend millions catering to them.

I am locking this thread, and warning you not to continue this immature behavior.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024