Rookies claiming to be Pro Photographer killing the industry?

9 years 3 months ago #193282 by Baydream

rahul singh wrote: I completely agree with what you are stating, but is there any way out to kick them off the market ?
I think there should be an international association/organisation which shall take responsibility to authenticate professional photographers.

35mmwebdesign posted this response. Post was deleted and replaced since signature violated PT policy.
"
This would be impossible to do and would leave many skilled photographers struggling to get authentication. It would be incredibly difficult to authenticate a creative industry such as photography.

Again, see it as an opportunity to focus your marketing strategy on what you are good at. Don't try to compete on price, but on the level of service that you provide, or your creative niche. The customers who understand this are most likely the customers you will be able to work much better with, as opposed to those that want the lowest price. "

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
,
The topic has been locked.
9 years 3 months ago #193286 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:
Being pro tends to suck the fun out of it.


Amen. Still beats working at a desk editing photos all day for a living... wait-a-minnet?!?! :blink:


I just caught that. :nunu:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
,
The topic has been locked.
9 years 3 months ago #197090 by MARKFORDYCE
I am an ameteaur photographer. I am studying to learn more and strive to be "professional" however I do not bill myself as a pro. I think a lot of people have bought a digital slr and photoshop and think they are ready to set up business. A was recently asked by a friend to shoot his wedding. I want to to help him out but it is not what I do. I asked him to make sure his wife to be felt comfortable not using someone with moe experience because it is a one day one chance to get it right.


,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 11 months ago #229608 by Nikon-oclast
I think you're a bit confused on some of your terminology. A profesional is anyone that's made money at their chosen profession. Just because they're a "rookie" at it and not as good as someone else, doesn't make them any less a professional.

As for your "wedding client". Why was she YOUR client? Is she a professional bride? I doubt it. You may have pitched your services to her, but because you failed to get a deposit means you lost. I'd even say that it makes you less of a pro than you think you are. As for what she got? She got what she paid for. Did she ask what she was getting for such a good price? Probably not, so she loses too. I've done projects that I charged thousands for and comparable projects I've charged hundreds for, the only difference being that the lesser of the two got less, simple as that.

One thing I don't accept in your weak rant is that a rookie is a bad photographer. My14 year old, with her camera phone takes better photos than some of my local (so called) competition with a ten thousand dollar body and prime lens set-up. You can have the best of the best, but if you don't have the eye it takes to be a truly good photographer, then your not as good as you think you are.

As for wedding photography? Personally I loath it and don't respect any photographer whose sole work is wedding based. I'll do weddings, but I charge an arm and a leg and they get a final package that rivals anyones.

In conclusion, please get off you high horse.


,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 11 months ago #229615 by Scotty

Nikon-oclast wrote: I think you're a bit confused on some of your terminology. A profesional is anyone that's made money at their chosen profession. Just because they're a "rookie" at it and not as good as someone else, doesn't make them any less a professional.

As for your "wedding client". Why was she YOUR client? Is she a professional bride? I doubt it. You may have pitched your services to her, but because you failed to get a deposit means you lost. I'd even say that it makes you less of a pro than you think you are. As for what she got? She got what she paid for. Did she ask what she was getting for such a good price? Probably not, so she loses too. I've done projects that I charged thousands for and comparable projects I've charged hundreds for, the only difference being that the lesser of the two got less, simple as that.

One thing I don't accept in your weak rant is that a rookie is a bad photographer. My14 year old, with her camera phone takes better photos than some of my local (so called) competition with a ten thousand dollar body and prime lens set-up. You can have the best of the best, but if you don't have the eye it takes to be a truly good photographer, then your not as good as you think you are.

As for wedding photography? Personally I loath it and don't respect any photographer whose sole work is wedding based. I'll do weddings, but I charge an arm and a leg and they get a final package that rivals anyones.

In conclusion, please get off you high horse.


The only one thats on a high horse is you. Some of the most talented photographers in the world do weddings.

Take the attitude somewhere else.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 11 months ago #229622 by Nikon-oclast

Scotty wrote: The only one thats on a high horse is you. Some of the most talented photographers in the world do weddings.

Take the attitude somewhere else.


Don't be mad because I loath wedding "only" photographers. Someone with limited abilities has to do it, so have at it.

Talent is subjective, but I challenge you to name 3 world class (and know) photographers who shoot "only" weddings.


,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #229653 by Henry Peach
This subject sure brings out the douche-bags. :P

I remember hearing pros bitch the same way when I worked at the film lab 15+ years ago.

"Somebody let the rabble in." - A dedicated collodion process photographer lamenting how new-fangled film made it so easy that anyone could be a photographer.

Photography attracts all sorts of folks. Many of them probably think they are better than they are. Some of them bite off more than they are ready to chew. Some need to insult and put down others to feel secure. I've been guilty of it all at some time or another. In the end success really does depend on the portfolio and hard work, and that's up to the individual. Blaming failure on other folks isn't likely to help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dr_skn08
,
The topic has been locked.
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #229672 by Scotty

Nikon-oclast wrote:

Scotty wrote: The only one thats on a high horse is you. Some of the most talented photographers in the world do weddings.

Take the attitude somewhere else.


Don't be mad because I loath wedding "only" photographers. Someone with limited abilities has to do it, so have at it.

Talent is subjective, but I challenge you to name 3 world class (and know) photographers who shoot "only" weddings.


I'm not mad. I'm telling you how it is.

I'm not not being baited into this. There are wedding photographers that make millions, and its enough to warrant Nikon ane Canon to spend millions catering to them.

I am locking this thread, and warning you not to continue this immature behavior.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
,
The topic has been locked.

802.3K

205K

  • Facebook

    802,251 / Likes

  • Twitter

    205,000 / Followers

  • Google+

    1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Sony a6100 vs Sony a6600 debate, there are plenty of similarities. There are also some key differences that could make one or the other a much better option for you.

May 04, 2021

The Pentax KP is an older DSLR with some excellent specs - but are they excellent enough to warrant purchasing this camera in 2021? Let's find out!

May 04, 2021

The Sony RX1R II is a high-end compact camera with loads of features. The question is, is it still worth the price in 2021?

Apr 27, 2021

The FujiFilm X-T20 is an older midrange mirrorless camera that still has plenty of punch for beginner and enthusiast photographers in 2021.

Apr 26, 2021

Latest Articles

Use these tips for good real estate photos to give your clients the best-looking images that will help get their home sold.

May 05, 2021

In the Sony a6100 vs Sony a6600 debate, there are plenty of similarities. There are also some key differences that could make one or the other a much better option for you.

May 04, 2021

Spring landscape photography can be a real treat if you take the time to plan, prepare, and get the right gear for photographing nature's beauty.

May 04, 2021

In this tutorial, learn what high speed sync is, how to use it, and why you should use it. You'll also learn the benefits of using high speed sync.

May 04, 2021

The Pentax KP is an older DSLR with some excellent specs - but are they excellent enough to warrant purchasing this camera in 2021? Let's find out!

May 04, 2021

Teaching online photography classes is a great way to add additional revenue to your photography business. Get some great tips in this tutorial!

May 03, 2021

Sometimes you can handhold your camera and get great results, but there are times when you really need a tripod to get the best images.

May 03, 2021

Taking more photos requires more time, sure, but it also requires planning, preparation, and a commitment on your part to actually go out and do it.

May 03, 2021