Advice for logo design

9 years 11 months ago #374517 by Kristy Blake
How did you go about designing your logo?  I mean, where do you start for something like this.  I have been thinking about some ideas, but not sure if I should get software and attempt making myself or use service like 99 Designs.  A friend suggested I just hire a designer and that they can take my general ideas and come up with something cool and trendy.  

Help please.  :thx2:

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #374585 by garyrhook
  1. Do a lot of research to see what you do and do not like
  2. Decide on a name for your business, one that invokes some sort of mood or attitude.
  3. If you don't have any ideas, get a graphic designed.
  4. If you have ideas, take them to a graphic designed.
  5. Don't use a camera or lens or shutter in your design.
  6. Include color, preferably a signature color.
  7. See if you can do a trade for services to minimize expense. Not always possible.
  8. There are photography groups on FB with lots of good advice (and a great way to waste a lot of time). You can try asking for recommendations there. Not every designer is qualified or reputable. I've seen some results that are just hackneyed recycling of generic clip art, having nothing to do with photography. You don't want one of those.
I had a graphic designer friend come up with an idea after I took pictures of them and their daughter. I ended up liking an idea, and am quite happy with the results. My card gets lots of compliments.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374605 by JeremyS
I don't have a business logo, but I have created a watermark for my own personal use in an attempt to stop anyone from stealing my photos. 

I can only tell you how i designed mine, because that is all I know. I used a symbol well known to my family, the phoenix and used that as a backdrop to begin because I feel like the phoenix was a symbol of me. Doing that I had to design my own idea and with some help I came up with what I currently have. You can see it here:

img\def

So, my overall guide is that you should pick something that means something to you, and that might mean something, or attract others to your business. Pick something that would show respect, and also to show your a professional. Try to break out of the norm, such as the letters of your name overlapping etc.

Those are my tips even though I am not overly experienced, and I have never thought very hard about my logo.  

9 years 11 months ago #374653 by Stealthy Ninja
Helps that I do graphic design as a job (among otherthings).  I’m not the best graphic designer in the world, but I get by.

Make some designs yourself and post them here.  Maybe we can collectively help you pic a good one or adjust it to be better. :D
9 years 11 months ago #374812 by Alan Nunez
I find that using a designer give the best results. They are professionals at design so I put my trust in them as I would expect some to do with me and my photography. If you do not have the budget to pay a designer then offer a Trade for services. 

9 years 11 months ago #374835 by Stealthy Ninja

Alan Nunez wrote: I find that using a designer give the best results. They are professionals at design so I put my trust in them as I would expect some to do with me and my photography. If you do not have the budget to pay a designer then offer a Trade for services. 

True, but often a photographer can get by doing it themselves as (honestly) it's not a huge business. 
8 years 8 months ago #449875 by abarko
GIMP is a great free designing tool for your logo

8 years 8 months ago #449911 by Gammill

abarko wrote: GIMP is a great free designing tool for your logo

Photoshop is much better thank Gimp IMO. 

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #449921 by icepics
This is from a year ago.

Since the thread's been revived, 99 designs is just another crowd sourcing type site that wants so-called 'designers' to compete in contests to compete for clients. No good designer is going to waste time and talent on that nonsense for next to no money.

Someone could try checking locally to find a designer at a reasonable price, ask around among your contacts to find resources.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #450000 by cybersholt
It does look like this one returned from the dead! Theres also other "cheap" services like fiverr but I have always believed in you get what you pay for. There are other sites like elance, odesk and upwork that have professionals that you can clearly see their work history, customer satisfaction and samples of previous work.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024