If I want to build a profitable freelance business in the next 1000 days, what do I have to do?

7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #485271 by roberthh
I have 3 hours a day to work on my freelancing business next to my full time job. Sometimes less, sometimes more. And because I don't want to rush the process, I'm aiming for about a 1000 days. Or 3000 hours. I'm curious how you guys would spend these hours. To set the bar in terms of revenue: $4.000 per month. Hope to get some interesting insights in what it takes to get there in a 1000 days. :)  (I'm starting with 0 technical skills and 0 contacts.)

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #485750 by Joves
:rofl:
I really hate to tell you this but there is no magic bullet to making money in photography. It takes a lot of time, practice, patience, and some luck. This is especially true for a free lancer, because you have to build a reputation to get the work. 
But good luck on the 1000 days thing.

7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #485841 by icepics
edit - Resources deleted due to concerns mentioned below.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #486064 by roberthh
Thanks for the links Icepics, I've added them to my list of things to learn from here:  learning-photography.zeef.com/roberthopman

Thanks Joves for the feedback. I'm not looking for the magic bullet. Instead there are always obstacles or things to look out for in the beginning. I'm trying to discover those. FYI, I'm trying to find answers for:  www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-pho...aphy-business#484982

Hope that helps for your context.

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #486373 by icepics
Dennis (Joves) is right about it taking a lot of time, etc. etc. etc.

Robert you're saying you want the information for the related thread here on PT about starting a photography business. That wasn't mentioned in your first post and I thought you were just asking for resources for your own use - I posted links for your personal use and to share with other PT members who participate in the forum here on PT.

I see by the links that you used the resources I provided for your page on another website. I didn't provide links for that purpose, especially for a site that's overseas and has Terms that state the website 'owns' the links - which doesn't make sense.

I feel you should have made it clear why you wanted information. I would like you to remove the links I provided from the other website, although I realize the resources are pro photographers organizations that anyone could look up.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #486491 by roberthh
Hi Icepics,

I'm not using anything, it's more that I'm creating a list of links so I keep an overview of things while I'm helping PT. I indeed forgot to share it with him, which I did right away. Thanks for pointing that out (I guess).

I'm sharing the zeef page as often as possible with people that are searching for curated educational content. I don't see why I should remove it right now, hope it's okay to keep them there.

Thank you so much.

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #486787 by srubio77
Although I'm not sure that I can give fool-proof advice on how to find "success" as a freelancer in 1000 days, my experiences have taught me time and time again how important patience and perseverance is in attaining long term success and profitability. I think that every freelancer's experience is a bit of a roller coaster, especially in the beginning - you hit many highs and lows, and I think one of the biggest obstacles is sticking with it through the tough times. 

Other than that, I think that finding your niche is essential. What differentiates your services from those of others? Start small and see what needs there are in your community. Use them as opportunities to build upon your portfolio. As you go, you'll get a sense of what you like and don't like and be able to refine your skills. 

Best of luck!

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #488176 by roberthh
Much appreciated! So find opportunities around you and use those to build your portfolio. Then find recurring needs and make that your niche. Seems logical! Thanks again

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #488276 by icepics
I didn't share resources here on PT for you to post on your page on another website based in another country that includes Terms that are not completely clear or understandable. I posted the info. for your own use and to share with other site users here on PT.

The zeef page is your work being done elsewhere, and to me it wasn't clear you were looking for educational resources for that. I don't think it's OK to ask for info. from any of us here and expect to be able to use or post it elsewhere without asking.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490241 by roberthh
Hi Icepics,

just want to follow up here. I'm making the zeefpage for photographytalk.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024