Do I need a business?

2 years 6 months ago #544568 by T18 Photography
Hey, Everyone, new here, looking for some advice

I'm planning a shoot for a couple of friends soon and hoping to write a little article about their project car which I'm hoping to get published for them.  Would I need to set up a business for the magazine to accept the work?

I'm looking to maybe expand this in the future and become a freelance photographer with the automotive side & possibly getting a few of my shots published from motorsports. The automotive side would consist of doing private shoots, helped by the fact that I go to quite a few car shows which would help me get clients. I don't have a goal for shooting corporate or commercial car reveals or anything like that.

Basically, I'm asking, how hard is it to be a freelance photographer (of any speciality) that is just part-time and not working super hard in order to make it into a fully fledged career and just something that can supplement my income? I.e. tax returns etc. I know there is quite a bit of work involved, it's just that every article I read on the internet is about becoming a full-time freelance and that's not something I'm interested in, nor am I committed enough to work that hard. At least not to start with.

Would it be worth going freelance for the amount (or lack of) time I can afford to put into this or should I just stick to hobby photography and do cash-in-hand private shoots on the odd occasion? I'm a little concerned about the tax man coming knocking though.

Thanks

The following user(s) said Thank You: kamruzzaman80

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 5 months ago #544973 by Joves
No you do not need a business license to write, and submit articles to magazines, or other publications. 

2 years 5 months ago #544977 by T18 Photography
Thanks, although I probably should have stated to get paid for publications do I need a business? Sorry I wasn't clear on that

2 years 5 months ago #546463 by garyrhook
What Joves said.

Whether you get paid as an individual or a DBA, you'll likely get a 1099 from your client (ignoring cash engagements). So it doesn't really matter. And unless you create an S corporation or LLC, you'll be filing a schedule C on your 1040 long form to report the income/loss.

A DBA is required to collect and report state taxes, so you need to figure out what the rules are in your state. And it can help you acquire equipment without paying sales tax. Talk to a CPA. It depends upon what kind of work you're going to be doing.

That said, the feds have a $600 floor, but as soon as you exceed that, you should be legitimate.

Photo Comments

1 year 8 months ago #595903 by saponcpa
I totally agree with you. You had a right decision. If you run clipping path business I mean remove background then it's better for you. Because every photographer needs photo white background. So my suggestion run photo editing service business.

9 months 2 weeks ago #648213 by mariablassingame
There is solid competition in the electronic photography service. Numerous new people and firms enter into this area. So, as a particular expert digital photographer, you must be ready to deal with the competitors. There are many freelance photographers that are your firm competitors. Your goal behind establishing a website and likewise positioning it online must be to drive consumers to your solution. Your digital photography internet site style need to be impressive in addition to straightforward. You had the ideal choice. If you run clipping course business I suggest eliminate background after that it's far better for you. Due to the reality that every professional digital photographer calls for photo white background. So my pointer run image modifying and improving service organisation.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020

Latest Articles

Shutterfly is a household name for photographic prints. In this Shutterfly metal print review, find out if this popular Shutterfly product is a must or if you should skip it.

Apr 06, 2020

Mpix is a popular online printer. But the question is, are Mpix products like their metal prints worth the price? Find out in this Mpix metal print review!

Apr 03, 2020

Learning how to photograph your newborn might be easier than you think. With these newborn photography tips for parents, you'll be in position to take much-improved photos of your bundle of joy.

Apr 03, 2020

This best cameras for beginners 2020 list includes the best DSLRs for beginners and the best mirrorless cameras for beginners at affordable prices.

Apr 02, 2020

real estate photography business, improve your real estate photography business, tips for improving your real estate photography business, real estate photography business tips

Apr 01, 2020

Learning how to become a professional photographer might not be as hard as you think. With these tips on becoming a freelance photographer, you'll be able to get the process started more quickly.

Apr 01, 2020

The Haida M15 filter system is a great piece of photography gear that allows me to use the same filters with many different camera lenses.

Apr 01, 2020

If you're in need of some good reads during the pandemic, give this list of the best photography books a try. Each one is an Amazon best selling photography book!

Apr 01, 2020