Getting Photos Published

13 years 5 months ago #6856 by lmn1980
Does anyone have any information on how to sell your photos and get them published? I would appreciate all the help I can get.

13 years 5 months ago #7069 by lfortier
I sent in a CD of some of my photos to a regional New England magazine.

Bingo - I got the inside back cover - full page (That's where they post all reader submitted images).

You gotta ask.

The following user(s) said Thank You: oamm12
13 years 4 months ago #8106 by Deatach
I have been getting my work in the local newspaper and News weather segiment for last two years. I don't get paid for this, but it's pay back is people really do know my name and I have some contacts come back and ask to purchase useage rights to some photos for promotions they are doing. So check around to places that have reader submitted sections, particularly locally, it will in time boost your career if not on the front end, then on the back side. Remember all those publishes also become part of your perminate resume' so if you are applying for a freelance position these do count.

13 years 4 months ago #8506 by Hamtastic

lfortier wrote: I sent in a CD of some of my photos to a regional New England magazine.

Bingo - I got the inside back cover - full page (That's where they post all reader submitted images).

You gotta ask.

Congrats! What a honor. Someday I would like to have something of mine published.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: shutterbug_phillips
13 years 4 months ago #8580 by Rob pix4u2
I found a hockey publication that needed photographers and ended up getting a cover shot within6 months. I still work for them bi-monthly after 13 years. But now i have a team to write about as well as photograph. If you can shoot hockey and have a team nearby that doesn't have a writer/photographer it is www.prohockeynews.com & they are always on the lookout for talent. Otherwise I would suggest a book called " The Photographers Market" from your local library or bookstore. Good luck and happy shooting;)

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

The following user(s) said Thank You: tagyourit
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #28577 by McBeth Photography
I have learned the importance of tagging photos today. Today I had a Ranger contact me about a shot that I took last month of Mount Jefferson as seen from Baskett Slough National Wildlife Refuge and after a nice conversation with her, I am now a published photographer!!!!! She noticed my work because I've become better about tagging with detailed info of the scene and the location....you never know what people are going to google!

The photo below was taken with my D70 and a Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f4.5 (Ai'd, circa 1975) on a tripod at Baskett Slough and will be included in the 15 year Comprehensive Conservation Plan (about 400 pages) for the Willamette Valley National Wildlife Refuges! YAY!!!!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

It is what it is.
Attachments:
13 years 2 months ago #28580 by Rob pix4u2
Congrats on being published !! Way to go Barry

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 2 months ago #28593 by McBeth Photography

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Congrats on being published !! Way to go Barry

Thanks Rob, It was a really pleasant surprise!

It is what it is.
13 years 2 months ago #28915 by qualityresults
Tagging is key, I have had a couple of my photos used on Shmap.com, which publishes maps of local areas, one was for the Los Angeles Fashion District adnd the Other for the Santa Ana Zoo in California.

Not bad for a guy from Edmonton, Ab, Canada. I have also made Feature story for Inews880.com and a number of other stories as well.

Posting on FLickr and tagging works, and following the local news scene and trying out, I also have pictures on Photgrapher's Direct as well as write for demotix.com when I get a good news story.

Keep submitting, for example on Photographer's direct they will rate your photo's one to 10, most if good will fall in a 6, 7 if they are well composed and are sharp, not too many 8-10's but it is getting you out there. They also post requests and the money isn't bad either.

The following user(s) said Thank You: shutterbug_phillips, linda68
13 years 2 months ago #28970 by McBeth Photography
Good advice and thanks for the tips! :cheers: :goodpost: :thumbsup: :cheer:

It is what it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: linda68
12 years 10 months ago #87817 by photodezigner
Tagging in the metadata? I am new and just learning about these things. Thanks

Marshall Photography
12 years 10 months ago #87833 by Baydream

McBeth Photography wrote: I have learned the importance of tagging photos today. Today I had a Ranger contact me about a shot that I took last month of Mount Jefferson as seen from Baskett Slough National Wildlife Refuge and after a nice conversation with her, I am now a published photographer!!!!! She noticed my work because I've become better about tagging with detailed info of the scene and the location....you never know what people are going to google!

The photo below was taken with my D70 and a Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f4.5 (Ai'd, circa 1975) on a tripod at Baskett Slough and will be included in the 15 year Comprehensive Conservation Plan (about 400 pages) for the Willamette Valley National Wildlife Refuges! YAY!!!!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Congrats. Beautiful, Barry.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #87841 by Baydream
I sent this photo into the travel section of the Richmond, VA paper and it was published in several affiliated papers. This was on North Cape on Prince Edward Island, Canada. They were harvesting Irish Moss (seaweed) for use as fillers in many foods and other products. The men rode the horses pulling large "rakes" and then pulled them ashore to be loaded by hand into trucks. The colour of the water is the confluence of the Northumberland Strait and the Gulf of Lawrence churning up the iron-laden seabed.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #87885 by McBeth Photography
Great capture John! I'm going to be a label reader from now on! lol. :goodpost:

It is what it is.
12 years 10 months ago #88099 by Baydream

McBeth Photography wrote: Great capture John! I'm going to be a label reader from now on! lol. :goodpost:

It's used in ice cream, toothpaste and multiple products :)
I even stopped at a cafe and had seaweed pie. It was some good.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024