Building a business

12 years 8 months ago #111186 by photobod
Wedding Photography by Mark Cleghorn published by pipress order off Photographers institute Press.
this book lives on my coffee table.

Portraits camera craft by William Chueng published by Ava books.
great for portrait techniques.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 8 months ago #111189 by photobod

crystal wrote:

steveheap wrote: Dare I put forward my own book?

It is not in the category of making your full time living out of photography - more aimed at competent amateurs looking to make enough to pay for the equipment (and more besides) that they need to create their images. Getting Started in Stock is available as an eBook from my web site.

Steve

Sure why not Steve. MLK advertises his schooling every other post, every day. So letting others know about your book is no big deal. :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #111333 by MLKstudios
I tell my students to focus on their craft. Build a clientele -- slowly. If you're paying to market, you're doing it wrong.

Two posts found in my Student's Forum this week, under week 5 (backlighting):

_________

"It does! It does make sense! I absolutely love the backlit pictures! I can't wait to take more. It is all really starting to come together for me! I find everyone is wanting me to take their pictures now. I just did a session for Miss Missouri this week (for free) and the mom was so happy (Miss Missouri is 6 years old lol) that they are putting them in her portfolio for the National Pageant. I love these classes. I can't wait to start on the next section!"

Thank you so much
Jeannie

_________

"Yes, as long as you keep improving your work, your business will grow on its own."

Matthew

_________

"Thanks again Matthew. I am a graphic design artist for the last 6 years. My biggest claim to fame is a logo a created was put on a special edition Budweiser can. I'e seen so many pictures come across my desk the last several years and I always found myself saying things like "why didn't they do it this way" or "I would've done it that way. My problem was using a very good camera in manual [exposure mode]. I know photoshop, illustrator, indesign and lightroom 3 very well so the editing is a breeze for me. It was the camera. Everything is starting to fall into place now and I do believe that my dream of starting my own photography business will happen in time. Thanks to you!"

_________

The difference between my school and others, is I actually care about my student's success. It's what makes me happy.

Matthew :)

PS week 5 is just past half-way. They've read no marketing books nor done any advertising. They just take some really good pics.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #111339 by MLKstudios
One more thing to add here:

A lot of my students are MWAC's (Moms With A Camera) and their only goal when they registered was taking better pics of their kids. About halfway, they start getting asked by friends and family to take pictures of other kids (and family events). Without even trying, they end up having a part time business.

If you want to be a pro, focus on your craft. Good pics market themselves.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #111341 by photobod

MLKstudios wrote: One more thing to add here:

A lot of my students are MWAC's (Moms With A Camera) and their only goal when they registered was taking better pics of their kids. About halfway, they start getting asked by friends and family to take pictures of other kids (and family events). Without even trying, they end up having a part time business.

If you want to be a pro, focus on your craft. Good pics market themselves.

:)

Just a little reminder Matthew the thread is about MJ wanting to compile a list of books for her business library.

www.dcimages.org.uk

12 years 8 months ago #111343 by MLKstudios
Thanks photobod. I thought it was about how to build a photo business.

My bad. ;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #111860 by photobod

MLKstudios wrote: Thanks photobod. I thought it was about how to build a photo business.

My bad. ;)

No probs Matthew I am sure you must know some books for her to add.

www.dcimages.org.uk

12 years 8 months ago #111936 by MLKstudios
I bought a 1996 marketing book once. No help.

However, I have a large library of photography books by some of the world's greatest photographers.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #112000 by icepics
Good point about photos marketing themselves. I used to think I'd do 'something' someday w/photography, and had the opportunity a few years ago to do some sports photography for a local minor league team.

Basically I was in their office for who knows what reason, talking to my ticket rep, and the Sr.VP (soon to be team pres.) started looking at some of my photos and commenting that I had some good pictures of the dasher ads; he ended up asking if I'd do him a favor and take pictures of the ads, signage etc. It ended up being an incredible opportunity, esp. since at the time I hadn't done anything remotely freelance or sports related. I ended up w/a press pass and pretty much free reign in the arena and behind the scenes; I learned how to pan w/the camera, make empty seats 'disappear' etc. (gotta keep those sponsors happy!)

I did do some reading and research into sports photography, pricing photos, got a book from ASMP to find sample photo releases etc.; found a website run by some professional sports photographers and attended a sports photography workshop at NCAA headquarters.

Of course things don't necessarily go as planned, the team left town, my job changed etc.; but I learned enough to know I could at some point in the future do something like that again.

If my pictures weren't good I wouldn't have ever had the opportunity in the first place. Continuing to improve my skill level can only help in being able to take advantage of whatever opportunities come along in the future.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024