Fuji S5Pro - worth keeping?...

3 years 8 months ago #691221 by Holdie
Hi all you Fuji Film camera lovers!

Just found the PT site this evening and delighted to see it has a dedicated FF Forum.

For some unknown reason, when I first 'got into' photography it was with a lower end FF bridge camera, which stood me in good stead as a camera to learn on as it had the full range of modes and quite a few other bells and whistles as well.

Progressed through various subsequent bridge camera releases and at some point managed to bag myself a mint condition S5 Pro thinking that was the way to go. (Possibly. Back to this later...)

However, then FF brought out the XS1 bridge which I love so much that I've got two of them. I just love the fact that it's a decent all in one, easy to carry about, quality camera which produces damn good pics (well it does when I take them :dry:  )

Anyway, back to the S5. Seems a waste never to have actually got around to using it! (Blame the XS1). At various times I've bought Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8; Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 & Tamron 70-200 f2.8 lenses to use with it thinking yep, I'll give it a go, but they're all gathering dust. Well they're not really, because they're all still in the boxes they came in...

Was recently wondering whether to buy myself a Nikon D850 on the basis all the lenses could be used with that, then I put the brakes on my thoughts in that direction, thinking 'I'm not a pro-photographer - do I really need this?' And I think I was right to stop myself.

Then I found this site, so I'll throw it open to you other FF Forum members. What do you think? Even though it's old (no, very old - a bit like me I suppose) and the sensor resolution is low - I think its some sort of weird 'combined' pixel equivalent of 12 point something - is this necessarily a 'bad' thing?

I got into photography through my love of the image, and what thoughts/pleasure an arresting photograph can inspire. So really, its the image not the pixel count that truly matters, and if I'm happy with what I produce, then 12mp is still adequate to allow a decent print, right?

Over to you for thoughts, feedback, whatever. I'd be really interested to hear back from you.

Thanks

3 years 8 months ago #691232 by Shadowfixer1
That old camera will make some pretty darn good images. I had the S2Pro. It was a Frankenstein of a camera. It took 2 different types of batteries. It made some very good images. I have a couple of 24x36 inch prints I made with that camera. The S5 was a pretty good step up from the S2. It's based on the Nikon D200 body which I used for many years. The DR of the S5 was darn good for the day. Get that puppy out and play with it then decide. 
3 years 8 months ago #691245 by Holdie
Hey. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and to reply.

Interesting reading - love your description of the S2 as 'a Frankenstein of a camera' - that made me laugh!

24x36" prints are probably larger than most people would ever produce unless they are working commercially and, as you say, if the S5 was a step up from the S2, then its reasonable to assume I could get similar good quality printed images.

I'm going to go with your advice (and my gut feeling - I think I just needed some external confirmation:unsure: ) and put the XS1 to the side and play around and get familiar with the S5 over the next few months and see what results. Autumn's not too far away and Fujis are renowned for their colour reproduction and DR, so it's coming into a good time of year to explore that.

Thanks once again for your time.

3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #691297 by Shadowfixer1
The S5 was very popular with wedding photographers because at that point in time, it handled highlights and shadows very well and the skin tones were the best of any brand. Have fun.
3 years 8 months ago #691345 by garyrhook
I found a DPReview article that details everything:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5pro

Since that camera is a cousin to the D200, and uses a Nikon F mount, you have a path forward.

But in the meantime, 12 MP is perfectly serviceable.

You should get out and shoot. You can upgrade the body when you reach its limits. That will probably be a while.

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691405 by Holdie
Hey Gary

Thanks for the link to the DPReview - I'll check this out later on today.

Appreciate your reply to my post.

Ian

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024