70-300mm lens vs the Moon..............

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #112862 by Stealthy Ninja

redneckphotos wrote: must have me one I read some reviews that said they were not so good all I find today is people loving them

To be brutally honest (is there any other kind?!)... most who love it just don't have experience with anything better. :)

Compare a 70-200 from Canon/Nikon to a 70-300 from any brand and you'll see the difference for sure. If I only compared a 70-300 to a 70-300 I'd think it was good too, but I actually went and compared the Canon 70-200 f/4L IS to a Canon 70-300 (a few years ago) and I just couldn't be happy with a 70-300 knowing the Canon/Nikon 70-200 is so much better.

Still a 70-300 can go to 300mm, which is nice. ;)

Today's lesson. If you want to be happy, don't try better lenses than what you've got and/or can afford. :)

This is why I won't try a 300 2.8 LOL and wish I never saw samples from my friends 200-400 f/4 :nunu:
12 years 9 months ago #112909 by Turbogirlie

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

redneckphotos wrote: must have me one I read some reviews that said they were not so good all I find today is people loving them

To be brutally honest (is there any other kind?!)... most who love it just don't have experience with anything better. :)

Compare a 70-200 from Canon/Nikon to a 70-300 from any brand and you'll see the difference for sure. If I only compared a 70-300 to a 70-300 I'd think it was good too, but I actually went and compared the Canon 70-200 f/4L IS to a Canon 70-300 (a few years ago) and I just couldn't be happy with a 70-300 knowing the Canon/Nikon 70-200 is so much better.

Today's lesson. If you want to be happy, don't try better lenses than what you've got and/or can afford. :)

This is why I won't try a 300 2.8 LOL and wish I never saw samples from my friends 200-400 f/4 :nunu:

Each to their own Stealthy Ninja. :)

I use an Olympus E400 which uses a four thirds lens, which means that it's not compatible with any of the lenses you list whilst being brutally honest!

So the four thirds actually means that this lens is the equivalent to a 140-600mm lens, but at a fraction of the weight. It comes in around 615gms, still heavy enough to require a tripod for me as I've just had major surgery on my neck.

The Zuiko are underrated in my opinion, the lenses I have have not let me down, perform well, great focus & are a reasonable price for the hobbyist.

You don't explain why you think the Canon/Nikon 70-200 was better than the 70-300.

Confusedotcom here! :)

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #113393 by Stealthy Ninja

Turbogirlie wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

I use an Olympus E400 which uses a four thirds lens, which means that it's not compatible with any of the lenses you list whilst being brutally honest!

So the four thirds actually means that this lens is the equivalent to a 140-600mm lens, but at a fraction of the weight. It comes in around 615gms, still heavy enough to require a tripod for me as I've just had major surgery on my neck.

The Zuiko are underrated in my opinion, the lenses I have have not let me down, perform well, great focus & are a reasonable price for the hobbyist.

You don't explain why you think the Canon/Nikon 70-200 was better than the 70-300.

Simple. It's much sharper and has better bokeh. Still can't get a moon shot like with a 300mm lens on a FF camera. ;)
12 years 9 months ago #113493 by Turbogirlie

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Turbogirlie wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Simple. It's much sharper and has better bokeh. Still can't get a moon shot like with a 300mm lens on a FF camera. ;)

Ok, cheers SN! Ta for elaborating! Still unsure what you mean by better bokeh, but I'm a bit slow to catch on sometimes.

FF camera?

I'm happy with my Olympus, it's a shame in a way that these other lenses are not compatible, but my system is light weight which, given my recent op & my chronic shoulder pain, suits me down to the ground.

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

12 years 9 months ago #113600 by Stealthy Ninja

Turbogirlie wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Turbogirlie wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Ok, cheers SN! Ta for elaborating! Still unsure what you mean by better bokeh, but I'm a bit slow to catch on sometimes.

FF camera?

I'm happy with my Olympus, it's a shame in a way that these other lenses are not compatible, but my system is light weight which, given my recent op & my chronic shoulder pain, suits me down to the ground.

Bokeh = quality of the out of focus bits.
FF = Full Frame or 35mm equivalent cameras (the sensor is the same size as a film frame use to be).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turbogirlie

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024