Photographin Epilepsy...

12 years 8 months ago #116681 by Dori
I was diagnosed officially with Epilepsy 6 years ago. I had been having seizures for 18 years and until I had a GM, went undiagnosed. (Brain damage from my EX husband.) Anywho, I have tried to 'photograph' what my seizures are. These don't represent mine tho. My seizures stem from the Left Temporal Lobe, when I seize I am just 'not there'. These represent a 'visual seizure'. I am still trying to figure out what mine would 'look' like. Any suggestions? C & C welcome.

BTW, I am not looking for sympathy.

Major stacked filters, slow shutter, zoomed.
BW version...

Color...

Thanks

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago #116693 by chasrich
This is a confusing image. I see ghosts in the trees and shadows where they do not belong. I have a level of frustration as I grasp for camera controls that are just not there. At some point it makes me feel a little dizzy and vertigoish (new word alert). Exhausted in the aftermath.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dori
12 years 8 months ago #116699 by Dori
Thanks so much. I succeeded!! That is exactly what I was trying to do. I appreciate your reply.

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago #116701 by chasrich
ChasRich shoots... and scores! :judge:

I'm glad I saw what you were trying to show.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #116710 by Dori
So am I, no one else has.

Please don't be worried about responding. Negatively or otherwise. I have a thick skin. I posted this for a two-fold reason; to try to make people aware of Epilepsy and to critique my photos, offer suggestions. So many times people have asked what the Medical ID band I wear is for and when the find out the fade into the background. The dialogue stops, which is sad.

Thanks, Dori

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago #116730 by Baydream
It does show the distortion that must be very frustrating. Thank you for sharing and finding a way to help the rest of us see the world through your eyes.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #116765 by eryck
i think its interesting and would be worth it to do more.
12 years 8 months ago #116767 by mj~shutterbugg
Trying to photograph and pull forth a feeling so confusing and hard to place into words is tough. The image is confusing, unclear (focal wise), has ghosts, and in general takes a toll to look at and determine what's going on. From what you've described that was your goal. I know how hard it is to put into a visual what you feel. I have yet to be able to photograph appropriately how my mood disorder makes me feel. The confusion and isolation. I think you are heading in the right direction. I think having a more vague subject would add to the feelings.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 8 months ago #116882 by Rob pix4u2
Photographing what it is like to have a tonic/clonic siezure is hard to begin with but I think you have done a good job. Do you have any prodromal auras or symptoms ? I've observed many seizures over my years as a nurse so I know of what you speak.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #116912 by Dori

Baydream wrote: It does show the distortion that must be very frustrating. Thank you for sharing and finding a way to help the rest of us see the world through your eyes.

Thanks, and thanks for responding!

eryck wrote: i think its interesting and would be worth it to do more.

Thanks for commenting!

mj~shutterbugg wrote: Trying to photograph and pull forth a feeling so confusing and hard to place into words is tough. The image is confusing, unclear (focal wise), has ghosts, and in general takes a toll to look at and determine what's going on. From what you've described that was your goal. I know how hard it is to put into a visual what you feel. I have yet to be able to photograph appropriately how my mood disorder makes me feel. The confusion and isolation. I think you are heading in the right direction. I think having a more vague subject would add to the feelings.

Thanks for replying and thanks for sharing. Good point on the vague aspect. That will give me a direction to go.

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Photographing what it is like to have a tonic/clonic siezure is hard to begin with but I think you have done a good job. Do you have any prodromal auras or symptoms ? I've observed many seizures over my years as a nurse so I know of what you speak.

That is the irony, I have had only GM/TC and I ended up photographing what one might 'look' like. I have Simple Partials and the occasional Complex Partial. I have no auras to make me aware that one is coming on. They just are there. When I seize I lose my memory. That is if I seize when talking to a person I know, I know that I know who they are. But I don't understand what they are saying to me. I have enough awareness to respond with 'ah' or 'uh-huh' at moments. I forget how to do my job which is very simple until it is over.

Once again I thank everyone for responding to this post as well as the suggestions and interest.

Dori

Resident Texasotan...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024