Wire Wool, take 2...

12 years 1 month ago #205228 by TheNissanMan
Last week I played with Wire Wool for the first time and wasn't 100% happy so had another play last night, definately a lot happier with the results :)

12 years 1 month ago #205240 by Darrell
wow ! Really cool shots....:judge:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #205263 by chasrich
:agree: Amazing shots! It is time for you to share... Wire wool is what we call steel wool I assume. I am also assuming you use a very fine grade of this. But please, before I incinerate my white lab coat can you tell us what you are igniting this with and how are you handling the fire without injuring yourself? Seriously - will I need a hairnet? :woohoo:

:judge: :judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :goodpost:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 1 month ago #205289 by john_m
Im with Charles on this one...........hahaha. Now I know that if you heat steal wool (say with a battery) it will ignite.....(thankyou Discovery Channel)

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 1 month ago #205290 by Cyber geek
Wow. Interesting! Awesome shots! How did you do it?

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #205371 by TheNissanMan
It's actually very simple and quite safe (although I'm over the other side of the pond so no lawsuits lol)...

We use a metal whisk and fluff the fine stee/wire wool up a bit fitting it into the whisk, light with a lighter (you don't need it to be lit much) and start spinning. We attacha dog lead to the whisk so the most dangerous part is the chain rubbing against your hand so gloves are advised.

It is obviously recommended not wear flammable clothes if poss so no woolly jumpers but a pair of jeans is fine :) It doesn't burn for to long so not a major issue. Will try post a vid of lighting and spinning once I get it off the phone :)

For colour changes just play with the sliders in PS :)

For the spiral effect use a zoom lens ( I used the 100-400) focus at max distance and once spinning just pull the lens back to it's shortest lens, you can control the gap between the circles by the speed at which you pull back the zoom, next time out will try get one zoom from 400 to 100 and then back out again if I remember :)

12 years 1 month ago #205374 by Baydream
Awesome. Fits right in with the "creative light" workshop we had last weekend. Probably would not recommend this in areas with high fire danger :woohoo: except maybe on a large parking lot.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #205400 by Dori
Fantastic job!!!!!

:judge: :judge: :judge:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #205407 by Stealthy Ninja
Cool.

Incidentally it's called steel wool in Australia too. We use to light it up with 6 volt lantern batteries when we were young. Fun days.
12 years 1 month ago #205448 by Shanna-Marie
WOW, these are so cool! Thanks for explaining how you did this! :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 1 month ago #205462 by bigbubbaG
Cool light show!

I read you can "light" the steel wool with a 9 volt battery also. Just by touching both + & - poles to the wool, (after putting it in the whisk LOL).

Matter of fact.... here's where I saw this done...

www.learnmyshot.com/Long-Exposure-Photography-using-Steel-Wool

Victory is won not in miles but inches. Win some, hold your ground, win some more.
---Louis L'amour

12 years 1 month ago #205543 by chasrich
"Don't play with matches"... I remember my mother saying this to me as a child. I never was able to tell my own children that. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

This is a summer project waiting to happen. I'm thinking the wide angle lens will do nicely...:evil: :evil: :evil:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 1 month ago #205650 by TheNissanMan
You can light the extremely fine wire wool with a battery, but, it's not as easy to come across over here as fine wire wool which needs a lighter...

The trouble with doing it in summer is that you really need a dark night, these were done between 8pm and 10:45pm, as I work I don't fancy staying up til gone 12 to get some shots before going into the office :) :) :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024