Tips for photographing fruits and vegetables?

12 years 5 days ago #218946 by GiraffeSpots
I've been trying on and off to shoot the things I grow in my garden but they don't quite have the punch I'm looking for. I know part if it is I need better equipment (workin on it!)

There are tons of sites on flowers and what not but not as many I've found dedicated to edible gardens. Any tips or insights? Websites to share that I could study up on?

Thanks!

12 years 5 days ago #218969 by Darrell
How about posting some pics....................

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 4 days ago #219181 by GiraffeSpots
Oh my... maybe after I get my DSLR. For now they're too embarrassing! lol.

12 years 4 days ago #219247 by john_m
Nothing to be embarrassed about. I may just need a little love in photoshop. The best way to learn is to allow someone to see you photos. Poeple on here are not animals unlike (insert numerous other photo forums) and will give you some valuable advice on how to improve. Oh and by the way, I have seen amazing photographs done with a point and shoot!

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

11 years 11 months ago #222620 by GiraffeSpots
Haha thanks! I've been really busy lately hopefully I'll have time to get back at it soon.

11 years 11 months ago #222811 by Notthatone
We would all love to see some when you get the chance.

11 years 10 months ago #228204 by GiraffeSpots
Ok well here is one I got of my little tomato plant. :)

Attachments:
11 years 10 months ago #232073 by GiraffeSpots
Hmmm... that bad eh? :huh:

11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #232138 by icepics
Maybe it's more that some of us (meaning me) aren't exactly much in the way of being gardeners! - so I don't photograph much in the way of veggies!

Anyway, I can't tell exactly where the camera focused, maybe on the leaves in the middle? rather than closer to the camera. I'm wondering if the movement of the water drops made it more challenging to focus. Maybe if we knew more the camera settings that would help.

I'm wondering if shooting from different perspectives might make a difference; there are some nice varying shades of green in the leaves from the sun and shadow, but they might show up better from a bit higher vantage point than from directly in front of the plant.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #240847 by GiraffeSpots
:) Thanks for the tips. I'll try next time. Been having the darndest time with the gophers but I think I got it sorted now and will start having some great fruit soon to photograph.

11 years 8 months ago #241710 by proverbs3photos
My best advice for photographing fruits and veggies is to make the light work for you! walk around to get the right angle so that you get the natural light on your subject w/o the flash. Personally I like to take pics right around sunset so that you get more pronounced shadows w/ your object being well lit. Either that or when it's really sunny out so that the light is more intense on the object. Depends on what type of fruit or veggie you're trying to shoot too. You don't need an SLR either for it... believe it or not some of my fave pics were taken w/ my old point and shoot (which was admittedly a nice point and shoot... but a point and shoot nonetheless lol)

11 years 8 months ago #241730 by GiraffeSpots

proverbs3photos wrote: My best advice for photographing fruits and veggies is to make the light work for you! walk around to get the right angle so that you get the natural light on your subject w/o the flash. Personally I like to take pics right around sunset so that you get more pronounced shadows w/ your object being well lit. Either that or when it's really sunny out so that the light is more intense on the object. Depends on what type of fruit or veggie you're trying to shoot too. You don't need an SLR either for it... believe it or not some of my fave pics were taken w/ my old point and shoot (which was admittedly a nice point and shoot... but a point and shoot nonetheless lol)

Thanks for the tips. I've read about this "golden hour" but I wasn't so sure if that was good for smaller things like vegetables or just for landscapes and people? Seems the shots I've been looking at are very crisp and well lit, studio looking, which isn't what I'm going for really. I'll just have to experiment and practice. No silver bullet! hehe.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024