Fireworks

8 years 8 months ago #445765 by garyrhook
It's that time of the year again (in the US), and folks often ask about photographing fireworks. There are articles here on Pt and all over the web. But for those that run across this forum post, I thought I'd provide a simple, useful technique that is very easy to use to begin.

The shots below are all take at ISO 100, f/11, infinite focus, and are mostly 4 second exposures. A tripod was used. Set the camera to manual focus and your lens to infinity. A wide lens (short focal length) is what you want, and you want to position yourself several hundred yards from the action so as to give you a nice wide view. This part of the equation is more trial-and-error than anything.

The f/11 aperture is more about lengthening your shutter speed than it is about sharpness. You want to get 3 to 5 second exposures. You have to experiment here.

I used a remote for these, to minimize camera shake. A wired remote is adequate, as you're going to (initially) be looking at the results of each shot and making adjustments to your exposure until you've dialed in what you want.

As for timing, good luck with that.

Here are some shots from the 2013 Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. Nothing overly dramatic, but a fun time.

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #445803 by tganiats
Thanks for the thoughts..... My problem is getting a loud of 'cloud' from the smoke...I don't see that here. Any secrets??

8 years 8 months ago #445825 by Travel Nut
Very interesting series!

8 years 8 months ago #445826 by Screamin Scott
Nice captures Gary.... I've got firework photos out the ying yang. If I were to shoot any more of them, I'd want added interest in the frame, like reflections of them on water. Those hold the most interest, at least to me.... Not going to happen where I live though...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #445827 by garyrhook

tganiats wrote: Thanks for the thoughts..... My problem is getting a loud of 'cloud' from the smoke...I don't see that here. Any secrets??

Well, I didn't show you those shots. :whistle:

Using LR I brought down the blacks a but, which helps subdue some of the smoke. Pushing the contrast is your friend. If I had a shot I really liked, but had a lot of smoke, I'd spend some time masking (and feathering) to remove it was well as I could.

Of course, I don't pretend to be an expert. Just sharing what I've learned since I know the question comes up every year.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: tganiats
8 years 8 months ago #445828 by garyrhook

Screamin Scott wrote: Nice captures Gary.... I've got firework photos out the ying yang. If I were to shoot any more of them, I'd want added interest in the frame, like reflections of them on water. Those hold the most interest, at least to me.... Not going to happen where I live though...

Thank you. Yes, water would be great, but there's not much of that where I live. And frankly, the last thing I want to do in July is spend 3 or 4 hours fighting traffic to be outside in a crowd in the heat to watch a 20 minute fireworks show. If I happen to be in the right place at the right time, I take pictures.

I would love to be in Boston sometime, to see the show over the harbor.

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #445863 by Addicted2Photos
I was getting ready to get back to work and I just saw your post. Thank you for sharing this! I just emailed this link to my phone!

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #445894 by tganiats
Very helpful thoughts! Thanks

8 years 8 months ago #445895 by Shadowfixer1
Or you buy an Olympus and use Live Composite where it only adds the newly appearing light parts of the image while leaving the dark parts at their normal exposure. j/k

Good explanation and fine fireworks images. Focus is nice and crisp.
8 years 8 months ago #445929 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Or you buy an Olympus and use Live Composite where it only adds the newly appearing light parts of the image while leaving the dark parts at their normal exposure. j/k

Good explanation and fine fireworks images. Focus is nice and crisp.

Really? That's a very interesting feature. Does it have application in other situations?

And thanks!

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #445934 by Shadowfixer1
Night shots with moving cars for one but similar to fireworks it is very useful for capturing lightning. There are 3 different implementations of compositing with the OLY and each treats the initial exposure and how it builds with time differently.
8 years 8 months ago #445987 by garyrhook
Ran across this today:

www.picturecorrect.com/tips/independence...reworks-photography/

Which shows a fair amount of smoke in many of the images. But I don't think that detracts at all. I like them.

Another article here:

www.picturecorrect.com/tips/fireworks-ph...ration-and-planning/

seconds my suggested settings and technique.

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #446159 by tganiats
garyrhook:  One thing to add to the instructions...Turn off in-camera noise reduction!  I found your ballpark settings worked as a great starting place (and a great ending place for many of the photos), but the 5 second wait for the NR was frustrating a few times.   Overall, though, my best fireworks shoot ever.  THANKS!

8 years 8 months ago #446173 by garyrhook

tganiats wrote: garyrhook:  One thing to add to the instructions...Turn off in-camera noise reduction!  I found your ballpark settings worked as a great starting place (and a great ending place for many of the photos), but the 5 second wait for the NR was frustrating a few times.   Overall, though, my best fireworks shoot ever.  THANKS!

D'oh!

Yeah, I forgot about that setting. I turned it off 2 years ago and then forgot about it.  It's also something that gets overlooked in many articles (at least the ones I perused this last week).

Glad to have been of service. Now it's time to share some pics. ;)

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: tganiats
8 years 8 months ago #446228 by tganiats
Yes.  Not really sure why I keep it on.    Perhaps in 2 years I'll say the same as you!

Upload later today, I hope.

Thanks, again

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024