Critique welcomed!

6 years 8 months ago #534501 by cfdesigns
Hi, please let me know what I could have done to make this photo better.  It's one of my favorites but I want to know how it could have been better.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
6 years 8 months ago #534518 by KCook
I think it's very good.  The horse on the far right is a little close to the edge of the frame.  Could have been better shot (or cropped?) somewhat looser.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: cfdesigns
6 years 8 months ago #534580 by Roy Wilson
Personally I really like this shot.  The lighting is great, very interesting subject matter, the composition could be aligned just a tad, but overall, this one is  winner for me. 

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534587 by garyrhook
Critiques is hard.... like maths.

So here's the thing:

I'm not a fan of the light, as it's rather harsh. However, the angle is a good one. But everything is essentially the same brightness.

The tonality of the image is somewhat one-note: brown with some yellow. In this case some work to manage the lighting will help direct the eye. That's why we have dodging and burning. But controlling the bright and dark areas of the image you can direct the eye to where you want it.

For me, the horse in back on the right is of less interest, and its coloring supports that contention. That's why I'm less concerned about the crop, relative to that animal, than Kelly. The trees/leave in back could be toned down, as could some of the grass in front. For me, the saturation and clarity/contrast could be dialed back a bit. Perhaps bring down the highlights?

I like their movement and grouping. You got lucky with the brightest one in front. Take advantage of that with more PP.

My $0.02.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534624 by Overread
Hmmmm, Gary makes some good points.  First glance I love the shot.  However you want feedback, feedback that could help you improve your photography?  If so, I'm going to have to agree with the items Gary mentioned.  The more I look at the horse on the right, he/she doesn't pop as much as the other 2.  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534625 by cfdesigns
Thanks everyone, I am going to have to read up on dodging and burning.  I will play around with the edit and hopefully take everything in account.  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534635 by rosh4u
Critiques are hard in this pictures which I found personally. All the different color horses in one picture which are far from each other but seems not that far in the pictures depict the beauty. Overall I really liked this shot. 

6 years 8 months ago #534684 by Shadowfixer1
You needed to find a better background to work with. This one is too busy. If this was your only chance to make the image and the only position, then the f-stop should have been chosen to give the most shallow depth of field you can get. I would settle for the horses in the background blurry if it meant the woods behind were out of focus. The front horse being sharp would have been sufficient. Yes, the ideal situation would be to have all the horses sharp but not if the background is distracting. There needed to be more distance between the horses and the background if you want all the horses sharp. Sometimes you get what you get if it's not our choice on position. 
6 years 8 months ago #534720 by effron
I agree with the background issue, don't know if blurring and a little PS desatch would avail the photo, and I also think a crop to allow more room to the right is a correct measure. Its a good photo though, beautiful animals....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #538918 by Soccer Mom
Boy, I'm really out in left field.  I like the image as is.  

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024