Observing Nature

4 years 11 months ago #643153 by Shadowfixer1
4 years 11 months ago #643220 by Eshan Rachit
Nice sharpness! Good foreground. This has a good foreground. 

4 years 11 months ago #643377 by Nikon Shooter
Peaceful…

I think the black recovery went too far,
it does not fit the available ambient light.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643413 by NewavaMike
I like the shot 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643459 by garyrhook
That doesn't work for me at all. Way over-sharpened (clarity?) to my eye, and the highlights on the water dominate the frame. I'm left with wondering what the subject of this image is.

The shadows are fine for me, but not the DoF.

The triangle formed by the hiker, shrub, and rock in the lower left is quite nice (well seen), but my eye doesn't manage to rest anywhere. I think this would be more successful for me at f/5.6 -ish?

But what do I know? Just my $0.02.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643478 by Sarit Kevesh
Really good pointers in here. 

4 years 11 months ago #643494 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote: That doesn't work for me at all. Way over-sharpened (clarity?) to my eye, and the highlights on the water dominate the frame. I'm left with wondering what the subject of this image is.

The shadows are fine for me, but not the DoF.

The triangle formed by the hiker, shrub, and rock in the lower left is quite nice (well seen), but my eye doesn't manage to rest anywhere. I think this would be more successful for me at f/5.6 -ish?

But what do I know? Just my $0.02.

I don't really care much for the image myself. The number of highlights in the water ruin the image and I recovered the shadows a little too much on the person but you could get that effect from fill flash or a reflector but it doesn't look right. It may appear to be over sharpened but I don't think I sharpened it. I did do a micro-contrast enhancement that probably makes it look over sharpened. It's not a very successful effort as you and others have pointed out. It would be hard to get a good image in these lighting conditions. 
4 years 11 months ago #643654 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: The number of highlights in the water ruin the image and I recovered the shadows a little too much on the person but you could get that effect from fill flash or a reflector but it doesn't look right. It may appear to be over sharpened but I don't think I sharpened it. I did do a micro-contrast enhancement that probably makes it look over sharpened. It's not a very successful effort as you and others have pointed out. It would be hard to get a good image in these lighting conditions. 

Yeah, highlights are challenging. And yes, I meant micro-contrast. I like clarity, but it can sometimes be a challenge to apply well. The same spot on a cloudy day might be wonderful. Harsh light is just challenging, and not (for me) preferred.

I hope the hike was nice ;-)

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643700 by Shadowfixer1
It wasn't the use of clairity as I never go over 15 on it or the dehaze slider. It was another step I do.
4 years 11 months ago #644019 by Kelly Emery
The details of the portrait can be a bit too much. how can we know if the details are already too much.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024