Photographing a CRT Oscilloscope Screen Outdoors under shade

4 years 6 months ago #658785 by BlurredLines
Hi!
First, let me say that I found your tutorials on photography among the best on the Internet. Thank you for providing those they are of great help.

I am an absolute beginner to photography. 2 weeks ago I didn't know what ISO, f stop and shutter speed meant. After reading your tutorials, I'm at least somewhat familiar now with those.

So today I was trying to photograph the face of an anolog oscilloscope to capture the waveform moving across it's screen (CRT) with a refresh rate of approximately 100ms

I was outdoors but in the shade under a tarp canopy. Bright sunshine.

The problem I encountered today was with Brightness. I had a very difficult time finding a combination of settings that gave me a dark enough image. I ended up with the following settings....ISO 80, f8.0, 1/30 shutter speed.
The camera was approximately 18 inches from the screen. I tried normal and macro modes.

This is a Canon SX20is Digital camera.

I found it very difficult to get the image dark enough. I ended up draping a towel over the subject and the camera just to get it down to a reasonable light level. I could not understand this.

Since the CRT image was refreshing at approximately 100ms I tried to set the camera shutter speed to just below 1/10 of a second, but adjusting the shutter speed any lower than 1/30 cause the image to be over bright and wash out.

The lowest ISO for this camera is 80. Smallest aperture setting is F8.0

Did I do something obviously wrong? Or is this simply a limitation of the camera?

Thanks in advance.
Randy

4 years 6 months ago #658809 by garyrhook
You're trying to deal with a lot of variables, without much experience or knowledge.

Outside? Lots of light. Slow shutter speed? Lots of light. You have to deal with balancing the subject with ambient light, and needing to use a long shutter duration just makes it worse.

Here's where you have to use ND filters, to cut down the overall amount of light entering the lens. ISO will only get you so far, as you've discovered, and so now you need to use other techniques. Shade is not a bad thing, but it's not enough, as you've discovered.

You probably need to start with a 6-stop ND filter, but that's just a guess (3 stops isn't a lot). You don't mention aperture, but f/8 will help, too. Then, you can compute the number of stops you need to cut by working from an acceptable exposure in your environment. Given a starting point, and given a target, you can figure out a filter strength.

One presumes the display will be bright enough to capture, since it can be seen in daylight.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlurredLines
4 years 6 months ago #658828 by Nikon Shooter
In the old days, photographers used to through a black cloth
over their head so to shield them from incoming daylight as
they were looking at the ground glass on the back standard
of their camera.

Making a black paper cone to fit snuggly around the lens and
the oscilloscope's screen will simply and efficiently solve your
problem.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #658869 by garyrhook
Dear OP:

In an effort to provide you with more clues about what to research in order to enhance your knowledge and skills, let's start with the Sunny 16 rule, which we use for shooting in bright, open daylight:

1/100s @ f/16, ISO 100.

You need 1/10s, at minimum, for your shot to record the entire pattern, if it cycles at 100 ms (10 Hz). 1/30 won't do it, by the way; it's not long enough for the entire pattern.

Let's adjust only the shutter speed to figure out how many stops away you are from your goal:

1/100 -> 1/50 = 1 stop
1/50 -> 1/25 = 1 stop
1/25 -> 1/13 = 1 stop
1/13 -> 1/10 = 1/3 stop.

You are 3.3 stops away from what you need. If you go on to 2 cycles, that's 1/5s, another 1/3 stop.

Changing your ISO from 100 to 80 only helps by 1/3 stop less. Your aperture, going from f/16 to f/22 (if your lens allows), would give you one less stop of light, so moving in the right direction.

There's too much light in your environment.

All that said: bare minimum, you are still 2 stops away from your goal. You need to remove two stops of light from entering the lens. Wrapping the entire setup in a thick, dark blanket might get the job done (you will need to eliminate light from every angle, not just above), but an ND filter will be a lot more convenient.... if you can even use one on that camera. Also: tripod. Forgot to suggest that.

Have you considered shooting at dusk, or at night? You haven't explained what you're hoping to accomplish (or even why a scope is outside?) so the only advice is, change up your environment, or change up your equipment.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #658874 by BlurredLines
I ordered an N2 - N1000 variable ND Filter
However, after reading the above post, I may also order a 6 or 10 stop filter.
Thanks for the assist

4 years 6 months ago #658997 by garyrhook

BlurredLines wrote: I ordered an N2 - N1000 variable ND Filter
However, after reading the above post, I may also order a 6 or 10 stop filter.
Thanks for the assist

I think a 6 stop is probably your best bet, but the variable will come in handy. The 10 will let you get multiple tracings of the pattern, which might also come in handy.

Note that some variable ND filters, at strong settings, create a "X" pattern due to the diffraction gratings interfering with each other. Usually usable at modest settings, however.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024