Downtown Charlottesville on the Weekend

4 years 7 months ago #658850 by devizeskayak
Hi Guys,
It's been a long time since I've picked up the camera!  Did a little study of the Downtown Mall in Charlottesville, Va on a Saturday afternoon..  Would love a critique on composition, emotion and feel of the photographs! 

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D5500
Lens: 35.0 mm f/1.8
ISO: 2000
Aperture: f/1.8
Shutter speed: 1/200 sec
Captured: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 18:08pm

ISO: 3200
Aperture: f/4.0
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Captured: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 18:21pm

ISO: 800
Shutter speed: 1/200 sec
Captured: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 17:30pm

Shutter speed: 1/100 sec
Captured: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 17:45pm

Shutter speed: 1/100 sec
Captured: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 18:06pm

Lens: 18.0-55.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Captured: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 17:58pm

4 years 7 months ago #658880 by Nikon Shooter
My comment goes toward the rendition of your images.

I like the DR expression and the constant quality of the
conversion of the set… very good! ;)

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658928 by Joshua Atkins
Nice range of tones here. Well-rendered! 

4 years 7 months ago #659002 by devizeskayak
Thanks guys! I'm glad the rendering works :)

Main drive is to work on how to get better content!

4 years 7 months ago #659005 by Nikon Shooter
If you mean "story telling", some comments:

#1 The better one for me… because of the eye contact.

#2 I fell the two persons are too far from the other, you
could have worked the image.

#3 Why is so much of the building in the shot, what is the
relation to the woman?

#4 Tighter could be the way to go and not cut the elbow.

#5 I can't read the story, the action. Where is the interest?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #659018 by devizeskayak

Nikon Shooter wrote: If you mean "story telling", some comments:

#1 The better one for me… because of the eye contact.

#2 I fell the two persons are too far from the other, you
could have worked the image.

#3 Why is so much of the building in the shot, what is the
relation to the woman?

#4 Tighter could be the way to go and not cut the elbow.

#5 I can't read the story, the action. Where is the interest?

Thank you! Yes, this is very helpful. I find i get "stuck in place" sometimes and just take one view of a scene and am "rooted" - have a hard time getting the courage to move and explore the image. I find photographing in public a really difficult anxious exercise and I'm trying to learn and grow in how to take candid pictures that are responsible and not creepy and have real emotion and story. I suppose it's as much trying to understand what it is I'm trying to say and I think the uncertainty of story or vision comes across.  Lot's to think about, and thank you for taking the time to analyze the images!

4 years 6 months ago #659379 by Kelly Emery
I think the first shot is the most successful of all. The last shot is not far behind if you're trying to document a regular scene in the street, but there must indeed be a story in it. 

4 years 6 months ago #661028 by Sara Miles
Nice rendered  here. The DR is good but the point of interests of the shots can still definitely improve. 

4 years 6 months ago #661189 by effron
I like, the second is my favorite for some reason.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661215 by Monica Martinez
This is not a bad set for me. The render is good indeed but true enough that the story-telling needs to be worked out. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024