Learning Photography - A question about Shutter Speed and F Stops

4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #659631 by BlurredLines
Hello,
As I casually meander down the road of learning photography I find the journey very enjoyable, still I'm occasionally finding pot holes that trip me.

Right now I'm using a Fuljifilm HS10 and a Canon SX20is.   Older, but all I can handle right now.

What I'm wondering is about MANUAL Mode.

When I'm in Manual Mode, I was under the (obviously false) impression that I could "Manually" set the ISO, f/Stop(aperture?) and Shutter Speed where ever I wanted to but all too often I find this not the case and I'm already sure there is a perfectly good reason, but I've not risen to that level.....yet.

Specifically, why is it that in Manual Mode if for example the shutter speed is set to 1.6 and ISO is set to 800 that I cannot set the aperture to less than 3.6?
(I can raise the Aperture all the way to 8.0, but it refuses to allow a lower Aperture number (Larger Aperture opening?)

Thanks.  This is one of those things I have not been able to resolve through my own research.

4 years 6 months ago #659645 by Shadowfixer1
Most likely due to where you have set the focal length on the lens. On the Fuji the widest focal length would allow an aperture of f-2.8. The more you zoom to a longer focal length, the minimum aperture increases. At the maximum telephoto end your minimum aperture increases to f-5.6. Generally the minimum aperture increases quickly on these type of cameras. I would say as soon as you start zooming the lens the minimum increases from f-2.8 rather quickly.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlurredLines
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #659647 by BlurredLines

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Most likely due to where you have set the focal length on the lens. On the Fuji the widest focal length would allow an aperture of f-2.8. The more you zoom to a longer focal length, the minimum aperture increases. At the maximum telephoto end your minimum aperture increases to f-5.6. Generally the minimum aperture increases quickly on these type of cameras. I would say as soon as you start zooming the lens the minimum increases from f-2.8 rather quickly.  

Thank you ShadowFixer.   In this case, I was not using ZOOM at all.  But I did find that if I changed the ISO to 1600, then it allowed me to change the Aperture to it's most open setting (lowest available number).   Being so new to this all, I'll have to ponder that a while.

So is it safe to say the camera will prevent you from making settings that are way off, even in manual mode?

4 years 6 months ago #659662 by Shadowfixer1

BlurredLines wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Most likely due to where you have set the focal length on the lens. On the Fuji the widest focal length would allow an aperture of f-2.8. The more you zoom to a longer focal length, the minimum aperture increases. At the maximum telephoto end your minimum aperture increases to f-5.6. Generally the minimum aperture increases quickly on these type of cameras. I would say as soon as you start zooming the lens the minimum increases from f-2.8 rather quickly.  

Thank you ShadowFixer.   In this case, I was not using ZOOM at all.  But I did find that if I changed the ISO to 1600, then it allowed me to change the Aperture to it's most open setting (lowest available number).   Being so new to this all, I'll have to ponder that a while.

So is it safe to say the camera will prevent you from making settings that are way off, even in manual mode?

I'm not familiar with these cameras but they shouldn't prevent you from setting what ever you want in manual mode. I have no other answer, sorry. 
4 years 6 months ago #659684 by garyrhook
I'm not familiar with either of those, but I can say this:

The maximum aperture (lowest f-number) is dependent upon the lens. Some lenses have a constant maximum aperture, some have variable. When the aperture is variable, it depends upon the focal length (as stated above). If you want to play with manual mode, suggest you pretend you have a prime lense and set your focal length to one value, and leave it there. Then experiment with aperture/SS/ISO. Once you have those concepts in your head, introduce the lens variable and learn how that affects things.

As for why there would be a limit to the aperture based on settings other than what then lens is capable of, search me. That would be new and unique.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024