Went to a Roy Orbison tribute concert the other night

4 years 6 months ago #661522 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

One of the local clubs staged the above concert - we were joined by about 800 others and from the seating area I enjoyed both the music and shooting the following images ~ all hand held. The beauty of using the Panasonic superzoom soon became evident - my distance to the stage was about 20m ~ 25m and using the eyepiece all the time those behind me were not distracted by a large, bright LCD screen in front of them.

Typical EXIF was ....
Panny FZ-200; .. ISO-1600; .. aperture - F2,8; .. shutter - 1/20 to 1/200s [lighting varied constantly]; .. zoom @ 100mm to 624mm [film camera equiv]

As always, feedback welcome
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1) Setting the scene
img\def

2) Roy Orbison in person
img\def

3)
img\def

4) Johnny Cash in person
img\def

5) Backing vocals
img\def

6) Backing vocals & Base guitar
img\def

===========

4 years 6 months ago #661553 by Nikon Shooter
Light conditions, when shooting such concerts, will get
very challenging indeed. Crazy stage light setups are
the main causes of the difficulties.

It took me some time to find a way to produce proper
images but now I'm reconciled with the work.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661584 by Carl Mendez
I agree. Concert shots are really challenging. They should always contact professionals to do the lighting. Not a bad set though. 

4 years 6 months ago #661715 by Aaron Rogers
I think the same predicament we face every time. 

4 years 6 months ago #661753 by Eshan Rachit
I completely agree with it. But these are not the worst ones though. Well done here. 

4 years 6 months ago #661788 by effron
Fine pics, but could any of them even come close to singing like Orbison?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #661863 by Sara Miles
Some shots are a bit out of focus though. 

4 years 6 months ago #661933 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Sarah

No- not out of focus - but perhaps a tad soft as one might expect from the lens stretched out to 600mm using F2,8 @ 1/60sec x ISO-1600.  Perhaps one of the dSLR people here might do better with the larger sensor cameras, ... but I doubt it

Thanks for the feedback
Phil
crop-1... (pixel peeping of the images)

crop-2

Attachments:
4 years 5 months ago #663083 by Breanna Ellington
Wow! This would have been a challenge because of the lighting but not bad shots at all. Nice one! 

4 years 5 months ago #663379 by Suni Park
The last shot is I think the most successful. 

4 years 5 months ago #663457 by garyrhook
You might call them "soft" but they're certainly not sharp. And we don't excuse image quality because of the equipment. If the equipment isn't up to the task, we use different equipment if want better results.

The first problem that I see is slow shutter speeds. I mean, 1/20s? Really? People are moving and you can't capture a sharp image of a moving subject at anything less than 1/160s, not to mention eliminating camera movement. I believe the rule is "nothing less than the inverse of the focal length", which for these should have been 1/600s, mitigated by any IS features (which I don't trust anyways).

And FWIW (for what it's worth) a DSLR is more than capable of capturing an image at 400mm (Nikon 200-500 on a D850, 1/320 @ f/5.6, ISO 6400, VR and monopod)

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D850
Lens: 200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
ISO: 6400
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter speed: 1/320 sec
Captured: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 17:12pm

or 700mm (Nikon 200-500 with a 1.4 TC on a D850, 1/320 @ f8, ISO 6400, VR and monopod):

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D850
Lens: 200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
ISO: 6400
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 1/320 sec
Captured: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 17:32pm

Admittedly, 1/320 is too slow, but I know how piano players work, and I was willing to accept blur in the hands.

Not sure why you thought a DSLR couldn't do better.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 5 months ago #663479 by Joshua Atkins
Well-said Gary! You are always cool man! 

4 years 5 months ago #663553 by Ozzie_Traveller
Thanks Gary
A good pair of images shot under what appears to be very good lighting

re:- "Not sure why you thought a DSLR couldn't do better." I was referring to someone sitting alongside me at the same event and subject to the same lighting

Phil

4 years 5 months ago #663601 by garyrhook

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: re:- "Not sure why you thought a DSLR couldn't do better." I was referring to someone sitting alongside me at the same event and subject to the same lighting

Again: ISO 6400. The lighting was not good: consistent, but dark. And I have plenty of stage shots from various distances, under egregious lighting, that are perfectly sharp. Although usually with my 70-200, to be fair. 

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Panasonic bodies, but a DSLR in capable hands (i.e. practiced) is going to do better in more challenging situations. Every time, IMNSHO.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #663626 by Nikon Shooter
I do hundreds of such events every year and I'm up to
almost any challenge with my FF DSLRs and lenses.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024