The Angle of Incidence

4 years 1 month ago #674378 by Tom-Dinning
Most of the photographs we take are coincidental in their content and context. 
The content of these images is also incidental and needs to be dealt with knowing this.
The Street Photographer is especially aware of this. They will be alert to that which places, in in the frame, a haphazard arrangement of subject matter, often unrelated, and leave the viewer to make sense of it.
We have no control over what we approach, stop and consider, and then frame in the viewfinder. Everything is in motion. Objects shift, light changes. 
All we can hope for is to be in the right place at the right time, whatever that means.
knowing this, we also understand that everything is important. We are bound to consider everything in the frame as the truth. 
There is an element of luck on the street. 
Our task is to be observers, recorders and philosophers.

Make: FUJIFILM
Model: X-T1
Lens: XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS
ISO: 200
Aperture: f/16.0
Shutter speed: 1 s

ISO: 400
Aperture: f/4.0
Shutter speed: 1/4000 sec
Captured: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 20:27pm

ISO: 400
Aperture: f/4.0
Shutter speed: 1/70 sec
Captured: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 1:05am

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 1 month ago #674395 by Bobby Mitchell
This is really interesting I set. I especially like the first shot. Nice render! 

4 years 1 month ago #674473 by Pitter
The second shot is the stand out success of the three as far as I'm concerned.

4 years 1 month ago #674505 by Nikon Shooter
All three are very cool but the cup for
story telling goes to the first, Tom :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #674578 by Suni Park
Same thoughts exactly. 

4 years 1 month ago #675241 by sclipston
I love the first one. What it says about being in the moment is terrific.

4 years 1 month ago #675334 by Eshan Rachit
I agree. The message is received. 

4 years 1 month ago #675603 by Pitter
I like the second one the best. Without human intervention. 

4 years 1 month ago #675610 by Tom-Dinning

Pitter wrote: I like the second one the best. Without human intervention. 

if you are suggesting that the first or third had some human intervention, the only thing I can suggest is that they had no more than the second.
each was recorded in an unobtrusive and non-interventional manner. I prefer not to disturb the scene with my presence.

if you mean the blurring of Eugeneo, the guitarist, then, again, I’d contest any intervention on my part.

when shooting in the street I use slow shutter speeds quite a a lot, as you will note from the exif data attached.
This is quite a challenge for me but the intent is to establish some sense of movement and time either by blurring any movement or blurring the entire image by my movement.
this tedious process often requires patience, a steady hand and some element of luck.
in the case of the guitarist, I waited until Eugeneo was in full swing (he’s quite an animated blues player) and the people in the background were still.

You might find many of my shots are slightly blurred as a result of this method a of shooting. The last shot is such an example but in this case the shutter speed is regulated to blur the hand movement of the orator.

Some shots will automatically require high shutter speeds because of the intensity of the light. In the second shot this applies and give a rather intensely contrasty appearance reminiscent of a winders day in Bologna.

https://eugeniopersico.bandcamp.com/album/re8orn

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #675654 by Joshua Atkins
Well said! 

4 years 1 month ago #675739 by Pitter
I meant there was no intervention of human imagery (or almost none) in the image I referred to. Perhaps I should have made that more clear in my comment.

4 years 1 month ago #675932 by effron
I also favor the second. NOT deriding the others, like them all...maybe its the contrast?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #675953 by Sarit Kevesh
The third shot is quite intense. I like it. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024