Goodbye Gracious Lady • RIP

3 years 8 months ago #692362 by Nikon Shooter
Nineteen years ago, I was commissioned to report on the future restoration plans
of a castle declared cultural good. Everything was fine but a surprise was there for
me at the bottom of these stairs.

A pretty and smily ol'lady was wondering why a bearded bear driving a big motor-
cycle, walking with fast pace carrying a big bag was taking pictures totally ignoring 
her presence!

"Sorry Madame, I was not ignoring you but discovering the place and working my
shots." I showed her my credentials and that seemed to have put the so sweet la-
dy at ease. She invited me for an early morning coffee on her terrace and she went
talking no end about whatever… but always in a funny, amused tone in her voice.

I directed the conversation at some point with questions of my own.

She said she was married at 16 to a 17 1/2 yo (she insisted on that!) young man
that she loved and was drafted in the army during WWII, the day of their mariage.
He was killed within months and she remained a (do I dare say "virgin"?) widow
for the rest of her life. The owner of the castle, who has also lost his son, offered
her this tower as living quarters for life… free of charge.

Claudia (she insisted on that too!) was visited in early March /20 by some folks from
the health department. "Frau Claudia, Sie sind ganz g'sund! Wir werden in einem
Monat zurück sein.… in Ordnung?" They were back in May, June too… all OK.

She was found in her bed in July, victim of CV19… possibly contaminated by the
folks from the HD — since she had no social life to speak of.

I know millions have died and more are on the way but this one… and how it pos-
sibily happened… is too hard for me. 

Auf wiedersehen… Fräulein (I insist!) Claudia, I'll keep your smile forever.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott McKenzie
3 years 8 months ago #692366 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day NS

Lovely image - and lovelier story, showing the 'unintended consequences' that occur through life
Full marks to you for caring and sharing

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 8 months ago #692386 by Nikon Shooter
Many thanks Phil!

When I heard the news in mid July, I ran to her place
to find that she was gone, of course, and her living
quarters were emptied as well — as seen here, even
the curtains of her bedroom window were remove as
no one as ever been there!

The weather was cold and grey and I felt the same.

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #692827 by Lauren Grant
Good back story! I like the contrast of the shot. 

3 years 8 months ago #692839 by Nikon Shooter
Thanks again. :)

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #692880 by Connie K Photos
At first I was going to comment on just the photo - B&W perfection, classic architecture captured here.  Then I read the story, and WOW.  Amazing when you see a shot like this, that grabs your attention, then you hear such a story, and that changes things.  Thank you for sharing this photo and story. 

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #692965 by Nikon Shooter
Most welcome. Connie! :)

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024