Chilly, blustery day (42°) in Richmond, Virginia, USA (James River photos)

3 years 3 months ago #707840 by butcha61
Brrrr.. I grabbed my Nikon D3500 and the "kit lens", the 70-300mm DX f/4.5-6.3G zoom, and drove over to the Huguenot Bridge overlooking the James River here in town. It was chilly, the wind was howling, but I wanted to try to get some photos of a cold, blustery, type of day looking along the river. One was 70mm, another 300mm, etc.. etc... For a "kit lens" it's really nice, as long as you hold steady and can keep the ISO as low as possible.

70mm, looking up river from the bridge.

Looking to the side of the river at 300mm, at the sandbank that I always wanted to paddle my kayak over to.

I quickly ran across the road to the other side of the bridge. This is now looking down river at the James River at 70mm.

I zoomed in on that one part of the river to see the storm debris and trees and logs washed up on little islands, at 300mm.

Here is the last photo, looking at the beautiful house along the river with the two Adirondack chairs in the lawn, taken at 70mm.

I guess it's true that you can go out in any weather with a DSLR and it will be perfectly fine.  300mm can be tricky with a "kit lens" but as long as you have a fast enough shutter speed and low ISO, it will take beautiful photos.  I still want to look into getting a circular polarizing filter, but don't know if Hoya or Tiffen are any better than the other.

3 years 3 months ago #707861 by Kyle Johnson
Interesting set! I think the 3rd shot has really good clouds. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: butcha61
3 years 3 months ago #707929 by db3348
butcha,

You have done quite a respectable job  in a howling wind , with a 300 mm lens .

All the big name brands of polarisers are pretty good – neck-and-neck comparison .  B+W is another to consider if available in your area .

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: butcha61
3 years 3 months ago #707940 by butcha61
Thank you....  To be honest, I had my elbows propped up on the railing of the bridge as an anchor point/stabilization.

3 years 2 months ago #708071 by Lauren Grant
Interesting set!

3 years 2 months ago #708165 by Kira Minori
:thumbsup:  Keep it up!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024