USMC Nowzad - Afghanistan

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #29317 by arkady001
Since we seem to be heavily biased towrds a US membership, I thought I'd share some of my work there as a way of saying hello and establishing my credentials.

Lima Coy clearing Nowzad, Afghanistan November 2009.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #29326 by McBeth Photography
Great work, I sure appreciate these brave souls! The camera man has to be pretty gutsy to get shots like that. Well done!

:goodpost:

It is what it is.
13 years 1 month ago #29363 by crystal
Nice photos. :judge:
13 years 1 month ago #29365 by Baydream
Thank you for sharing. Admire your courage to bring these events "home".

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #29461 by bhowdy
Hello Arkady - Our oldest son has done two (2) tours in the Afghan "garden club". He was a Naval Medical officer attached to the Marine Expeditionary units. His job was to coordinate the Navy Corpsmen, which meant that he did patrols, hospital duty, med evac .... you name it.

Most of his "in country" deployment was in the Helmond province. Your November '09 date would be in line with his last deployment. Which MEU's were you an embed with?

Thankfully for Mom and Dad he is now stationed at Bethesda Naval Hospital training corpsmen, nurses and cadets from Annapolis on what is really going to happen in real combat! Of course only real combat can fully prepare a person.

He always talks about the respect he has for the embedded reporters and photogrpahers that road right along with the Marines

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 1 month ago #29471 by Dryoo7
Are you a Marine?
if so!
Semper Fi. From a Nam Vet A-1-12 3rd Mar. Div.
Good work here. I like the lines and shapes in the fourth shot
Be safe and well.
Chuck

13 years 1 month ago #29472 by arkady001
We were at FOB Cafaretto (Nowzad) with 'Lima Company' - beyond that i have no idea which Battalion or Regiment - sorry.
I wrote it down but it got left out of the file info for some reason to do with OPSEC at the time and those notes were shredded when I left theatre.
I have to say the Cafaretto Sick-Bay was our first port of call when coming in from a foot patrol: it was the only place that had boiling water on the go at all times and as Brits, we need a cup of tea to unwind. It's the Law...
I could not beleive there was no water-heater in the chow-hall - not even at meal times...
I mean no coffee at breakfast? It's un-American I tell you...

Of all the US services we worked with, USMC comes closest to our own ethos for getting things done, so it was quite refreshing to work with these guys...
Plus USMC are just bloody Hard...they're like the Jesuits of the Military - it's a religion to these guys...

13 years 1 month ago #29473 by arkady001

Dryoo7 wrote: Are you a Marine?
if so!
Semper Fi. From a Nam Vet A-1-12 3rd Mar. Div.
Good work here. I like the lines and shapes in the fourth shot
Be safe and well.
Chuck

Hiya Chuck,
no - British Army Combat Photographer.
I made E-6 three times and retired as an E-4 - so you can figure out I have a big mouth and tell it like i see it...lol
Ex Infantry, served with 2nd Bn. The Queen's Regiment and 2nd Bn. The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment.
Tours of Iraq (5) and Afghan (4), plus Bosnia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone and Northern Ireland (way back when).

I'm out now and letting my hair grow (10 weeks and counting...lol)...

13 years 1 month ago #29520 by Dryoo7
Hats off to ya!!!!
Chuck

13 years 1 month ago #29599 by Yasko
Nice shots arkady001

You've definitely had an interesting career in the military. And busted down 3 times :blink:? Ambitious and outspoken, hats off!

I chose a techinician oriented rating, and in hindsight should have chosen a photographic position as well. Then again, maybe not. Navy photographers rarely do anything more exciting than PR shots for the ship's website or NavyTimes fluff pieces lol

Good luck on your studio, look forward to seeing some great work

The following user(s) said Thank You: arkady001
13 years 1 month ago #29773 by Conner
WOW, now those are some cool photos!

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #29791 by Rob pix4u2
awesome pix ! Much respect to you for your exploits in country with your cameras. great to have someone with your experience here on PT :judge:

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 1 month ago #29880 by Stealthy Ninja
You should have set up some off camera flash... oh wait..

:p

Nice shots man.
13 years 1 month ago #29953 by arkady001
We do on occasion:

13 years 1 month ago #29956 by Stealthy Ninja

arkady001 wrote: We do on occasion:

The first one's like: "Dude I'm trying to do stocktake and this dude is like totally in my face with the camera!" (I'm sure he says "dude" a lot).

The second one's like: "Like, dude, don't post me on the net in this funny hat dude."

Nice photos dude.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024