...Working with what's all around us.. part 2.. no tilt shown, to tilt or not to tilt, u decide!

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #127113 by wenspics
Ok so I took this photo which had a tilt to seeing as I was almost falling over trying to get the right perspective.. :ohmy:

I received a compliment and comments, and please, I find these not offensive in any way, actually I love when people show me their ideas.. the idea was that this photo would be much better without the tilt.

Believe it or not, this is one of my very few photos that has a tilt because I hate tilted photos!! :woohoo: But when I did this one up, it sort of brought something to it.. now that I have taken the advice, I do think I too prefer without the tilt. Needless to say, it os one sold photo :)

I now bring to you the tilt, and the "not-so-tilt"....

Thank you to all who took part in this fun conversation especially MLKstudios :)

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #127114 by wenspics
..and not sure how to "insert" or make these larger.

12 years 7 months ago #127121 by VT Hiker
I guess I will stand as the only oddball who appreciates the initial version.

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #127130 by MLKstudios
To me the second one makes the diagonal of the subject stand out more.

It's no longer competing with your camera angle.

Do you agree? You don't have to. It's your work.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #127135 by McBeth Photography
Maybe it's because I'm a part of Generation X, but I look at the first one and the first thing that comes to my mind is unbalance. The second thing was why? There were many, many thoughts that continued and it took a little while to finish.

Then I viewed the second image, which is a little more pleasing perhaps as far as lines go anyway. But then I considered the amount of time that I spent pondering the first image....about three times as much. I guess that my point is maybe, just maybe, its ok for art to trouble us once in a while and make us think.

Which is better? Totally subjective in my book. If I were a struggling artist I'd choose the one that sells better.

It is what it is.
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #127137 by MLKstudios
^ Well put! I'm starting to like the first one more. :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #127157 by chasrich
I like the shot a lot. It takes me down the track showing the weathered ties, the enduring steel rails that are leading to even more weather and storms and beyond that the sunrise/set that pulls us into the peace of the future... Yadda yadda. Now the question remains to tilt or not to tilt... Since it was the no tilt version that led me to journey down the tracks I'm leaning towards that one.

I liked it tilted before but now I too am changing my mind.... Can we try a half tilt please? :rofl:

My vote goes with the untilt.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #127220 by Shadowfixer1
Both work. The untilted image gives the feeling of going on down the road to see new and exciting places. The tilted image gives the impression of speed and soaring upward and you feel like you may just fly off into the sky when you get around the bend. O.K. I'm a little nutty, but that is what I feel when I see these.
12 years 7 months ago #127234 by wenspics
Well, you are all making me think in different ways, which I enjoy :) . After seeing them again, I myself, think I would choose the "untilt". :cheers:

12 years 7 months ago #127312 by hotmama_029
I like both of them. The second picture is my favorite though! Very nice! :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: wenspics
12 years 7 months ago #127401 by rmeyer7
I definitely like it better straightened. Either way it was a really nice capture and your post processing was solid too. It's probably one of the few times I'd be willing to live with the tilt because the photo was otherwise so nice! :)

12 years 7 months ago #127510 by rferro
I agree with McBeth Pho... in that it makes me feel a little unbalanced. My first impression was to copy the image and rotate it in the opposite direction, which, to me, would feel more organized. I also feel that you should go with your gut instinct. I love the first photo because it really makes your viewer look at it in great detail. It's human nature. It's great that you want the opinion's of other artist's in your own craft, however, don't measure your success as an artist from the feedback you receive from anyone. Measure your success as an artist based on how your work makes YOU feel.

I would personally post the first one and open it up for discussion.

I think you did a great job with this particular photo. As you can see, you've received a good response from it. Now ultimately, it's up to you to decide which you feel is the 'better' option for posting or selling.

Great job, keep it up and don't get discouraged.
12 years 7 months ago #127529 by Scotty
After you add file, next to that it'll say Insert.

I took the liberty of doing it for you. Cheers.

BTW I like the 2nd shot a lot more.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #127728 by mazz1956
I like both versions. The first reminds me of the saying "It's a uphill battle" The second one is a little bit easy to look at. You can imagine the train gliding along the tracks with ease.

Joanne
12 years 7 months ago #127755 by Cre8tivefix
I like all the comments that have been made. I can see intriguing things about both. But if I were in a gallery and considering buying one... It would be the second one.

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024