is this a framer?

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #130409 by John37

I shot this pretty much in my back yard, at a place I've never seen, even though I passed it a few thousand times. I'm starting to see things in a very different light. A few months ago I would just see this as another run down building in my small town. I did make some edits and my edit skills were taken to the max as I'm still learning how to use the software. There were about 5 fence posts that I took out, and to the way left was a bedframe sitting up against the fence. I really like this photo and I plan on hanging it. I thought about 'bluing' the sky but I think it would've ruined the photo. The only thing I still would like to do is darken the hills on the far right. I tried it but the color was off and it gave it a strange dark gray color. Any thoughts?
Thanks for looking.

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #130463 by VT Hiker
You can try to burn those highlights down, but the building itself would still be kind of flat. If you went at a different time of day would the front be lit up? This could make a pretty HDR ("high dynamic range" image, which is a fancy name for [usually] 3 or 4 exposures combined in order to capture highlights or shadows that might be lost in a single exposure).

It does look like a neat place with some potential. Where is it?

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 7 months ago #130470 by Baydream
Very nice shot. When you visit again, the old bedframe could be a great subject.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #130531 by John37
Thanks for the feedback. This is in the Niles district of Fremont, Ca. Though Fremont is a big city, Niles is an historic town with lots of cool history. It was home to Charlie Chaplin and the main part of town has a lot of old buidings that are now antique stores. Unfortunately I couldn't get any closer to this building because it's private property.
Thanks again!

12 years 7 months ago #130914 by canon4me
this is really pretty.....although the sky on the right side is pretty bright.

12 years 7 months ago #131174 by John37
The sky on the right side is where I ran into problems. I can't seem to do anything to it without messing up the color. I'm still learning about post production. But I'll figure it out sooner or later. Thank you for the input! :)

12 years 7 months ago #131178 by Shanna-Marie
This should be hanging on my wall..... I think it's Beautiful! I love the colors in it, what a peaceful looking place.... The only thing I'd do is darken the sky some like the others have suggested, but I really can't offer any more advice- my editing skills are on the weak side. Great job John, I love scenes like this. :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #131181 by John37
This is great compliment. Thank you! It's funny that just across the street is a biker bar and the street is filled with Harleys and sometimes Hells Angels just about all the time. I'm not HA but I do ride a Harley so this doesn't bother me. The two scenes are defintely in contrast to one anther though. I'd take some shots of the riders but they'd probably kick my butt! B)

12 years 7 months ago #132516 by Shanna-Marie
Who knows...maybe they'd like to have their pictures taken, have you asked? lol, I probably would hesitate too, hard to imagine this scene plopped down in the middle of "biker bar territory" (I have no idea what you'd call it so I just made that up) but I'll bet they like looking at it too. :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #132527 by MLKstudios
John, I'm a biker too. Work your way into the "gang" with your camera. There is a treasure trove of pictures there just waiting for you!

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024