Working on Composition. Suggestions Please!!

12 years 7 months ago #143472 by Maria21

J. Hansen wrote:

Went back, tried again. Don't know what to think. I have to say I like the last one that is kinda in your face cause they were the work horses of their day and it makes it look tough, even with all the rust. Weird I know! :lol: Thank you for all the suggestions!! Will try on an overcast day when we get one.

I like the in your face here.. I would try once again only stand up a lil more to show some of the hood & keep the grill up front & bottom of the image to keep that tougher than life feel. I love your subject...

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. Hansen
12 years 7 months ago #143520 by KCook

J. Hansen wrote:

Kelly, I cropped the picture more. Better or is it to much now?? Can not do anything about the glare until we have a more overcaste day. May get lucky tomorrow cause it is supposed to rain. Will see if I can get more of the top of the hood without loosing to much of the grill. BTW my husband thinks I'm nuts cause I keep running across the street to take pictures of the same thing over and over!! :lol:

That's not bad at all. Another crop -

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago #143522 by JBPhoto

If you are finding it difficult to find a cloudy day (lucky you) try during that period just before sunset or even just after. You will have to open up your aperture and you will probably need a tripod too. I have to deal with a great deal of chrome on some of the motorcycles I shoot this is one way I overcome this.
The image I have attached believe it not it was taken when it was really dark and overcast.B)

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #144313 by icepics
That's a good point. Or you could use the reflection, maybe walk around and notice where the reflection is - one side of the windshield or the other etc. - move around and 'put' the reflection where you want it. What about some golden late day sunlight and a sunset reflection in the windshield? - maybe worth a try. A good subject to try different compositions and see what works best (since this interesting looking truck isn't going anywhere!).

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #145549 by J. Hansen
Have to say I like this one best so far but am open to ideas for improvement.

Okay, I think I am getting closer to what I want from this picture! Hard to tell from my little 1.7' screen on my camera. Thoughts, suggestions??

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #145567 by boriqua latina
the last one here is the best one "the I like in your face version" wished u had left a lill more space, just a tiny bit, across from the headlight is to show sense of space..

12 years 6 months ago #145613 by Towcestermark
There's a great book called, the photographers eye which gives excellent advice on composition. This subject would sit extreme right and low based on the 'rule of thirds' the headlight would be placed on the "thirds" lines being an initial, bright focal point for the viewer to start their exploration into the shot.

I've got to say that this scene lends itself beautifully to a full HDR, grunge treatment.

12 years 6 months ago #145616 by Towcestermark
Excellent shot of the bike, JB

The following user(s) said Thank You: JBPhoto
12 years 5 months ago #160844 by J. Hansen
Tried to use advice given earlier. Still having sunlight issues but working on it. Suggestions welcome!! :cheer:

12 years 5 months ago #160849 by KCook
Where do you find these poor things! Top shot could use less contast. And I'd be tempted to reduce the saturation a little on the bottom one. I would shoot all of them a little wider (assuming you are not already at full WA). This is turning into a humorous series (in a good way).

:cheers: Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 5 months ago #160852 by J. Hansen
Believe it or not they are just across the street from me. Got permission to tromp around out in the weeds of their back fourty and these are what I found. Tried to take shots of just the best looking parts of the rigs. Lots of stuff hidden in the weeds. Tried not to fall into any holes or trip over car parts as I was taking pictures!:lol: The 1st one I think I shot in vivid so it came out pretty blue to begin with but I'm pretty sure I added more contrast, not much. Will look at the original shot and compare. Backing off the saturation, not a problem. Shooting wider, that can be tricky. There is a lot of junk other than the cars out there and I tried to keep as much as possible out of my pictures. It seems just about everyone in my neighborhood has an old old junker in the back fourty. Some in better shape than others! Will keep trying and add them as I find them!! Thanks for the advice Kelly!

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #160857 by Taggelera
I really like this set best, good contrast and tones, maybe a bit of an exposure update and some lens tweeks in LR or get a wide angle lens?

12 years 5 months ago #160858 by KCook
Fair point about keeping the compositions clean of yet more junk. But I see the weedy environment as a key element for these. Since they start to take on the spirit of a grumpy old bird refusing to leave the nest. So a little wider would let the weeds in a little more. Or sumthin like that.

No Help

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 5 months ago #160866 by Rickpaz
I would move the camera to the left to show more greenery in front of the truck and crop out the the back wheel that can just be seen to the right of your current pic. Flip the photo horizontally so the truck is facing to the right. Most people look at photos left to right. This would be a good subject for an hdr blend if you take 3 bracketted photos about 1 stop apart.

12 years 5 months ago #161107 by J. Hansen
Thank you everyone who has taken a look see at my photos!! Will keep trying. I think I need to put these old rigs in their own album to make it easier to keep track of. Looked in my user guide and it says way in the back I can buy a wide-converter and a tele-converter for my PowerShot. Now, do I spend the $$ or save it towards a big girl camera??? Hmmmmmm. Kelly, I will try to get more weeds in the pics if possible and will repost. :)

Rick are you talking about my very 1st picture of this thread? Or the blue jeep with the winch on front?? Either one, I will see if my program will let me reverse the picture. I haven't tried that before!!

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024