This makes me like my 14-24, a lot.

12 years 6 months ago #145661 by Scotty
Matt, Matt, Matt.

You know I know the zone system.

You KNOW I know how to expose with the histogram. I tend to ETTR.

You're giving me basic advice about HDR, when i'm talking about one of the most advanced HDR techniques.

I'm using exposure blending by painting exposures through layers to do what Photomatix does with an AI system. I break down the process and customize it.

I do it by hand, so it's not guessing...kind of like pattern metering. ;)

I don't trust a programs version of metering for extended exposures.

I did the exposure blending to make the light coming through the doors a odd glow...think the shire in lord of the rings. The rest I used to control shadows and produce vibrant textures.

Luminosity Masking was to take all the tones, including varying mid tones and to make them blend together across the board.

Please research...use google if need be....on what somebody is talking about before you throw generic information in a condescending "teacher" like tone.

Other than that, I really appreciate everybody's critique, it's not perfect...but I got the overall feel I wanted.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #145665 by MLKstudios
Good. You haven't clued me in to what you know or don't know. I only know what gear you use.

Didn't mean to sound so "teachery", and never mean to sound condescending. Just wondered if you were applying the tools we have to get where you needed to go.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 6 months ago #145669 by chasrich
I like the light streaming in as well defined beams. The wide angle is not noticeable to me as everything seems straight. :judge: :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #145683 by Scotty

chasrich wrote: I like the light streaming in as well defined beams. The wide angle is not noticeable to me as everything seems straight. :judge: :thumbsup:

lol thanks. You can see distortion in the trains, they're a little elongated.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #145702 by Stealthy Ninja
Really nice. Needs less HDR :p

I really like the way the light rays come in. Must have been a dusty room. IT's also really well lined up. Well done. :thumbsup:
12 years 6 months ago #145767 by KCook
As the picture is a composite, I have no clue about the exposure, PP, etc. Just wanted to chime in that you found one cool museum!

choo-choo head

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago #145768 by Stealthy Ninja
If only you didn't ETTR you could have saved this image.
12 years 6 months ago #145815 by Scotty

KCook wrote: As the picture is a composite, I have no clue about the exposure, PP, etc. Just wanted to chime in that you found one cool museum!

choo-choo head

What's really great is....everything inside their is functional.

A lot of old steam powered trains and such.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #145816 by McBeth Photography
Great shot Scotty!

It is what it is.
12 years 6 months ago #145818 by Scotty
Thanks. It was a blast shooting this. There was about 3-4 other shooters there asking what lens I had on there, they've never seen it before.

Between all the love quarrels we have, there is a lot of good information in this thread.

One big dysfunctional family. Hey MLK, pass me the turkey.

Stealthy, pass me the ninja star kenny.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #145822 by MLKstudios
Hollywood is like that. A bunch of misfits who go there to find out where they fit. If you don't think like your neighbors do where you grew up, you'll likely find yourself there.

Some of the smartest and most creative dysfunctional people, too. It's how we all get along. Being weird art types.

Whatever you do, don't even try to act (or look) normal. Everyone will wonder, "What's wrong with him"?

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 6 months ago #145823 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: Hollywood is like that. A bunch of misfits who go there to find out where they fit. If you don't think like your neighbors do where you grew up, you'll likely find yourself there.

Some of the smartest and most creative dysfunctional people, too. It's how we all get along. Being weird art types.

Whatever you do, don't even try to act (or look) normal. Everyone will wonder, "What's wrong with him"?

Our imperfections define us..and that can be a lot of fun.

Where's my turkey?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #145826 by MLKstudios
No turkey for you! :catfight:

Paraphrasing George Bernard Shaw, 'cause I can't remember the exact words he used...

"Life isn't about 'finding yourself', it's about creating yourself."

I tweeted it yesterday. I should've searched there. The words are exact.

BTW I wasn't intending to "bash" your photo. I'm just more concerned about process than results. We (artists) never "get there". We only keep trying.

Still trying to change the world, one photographer at a time.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 6 months ago #145830 by Stealthy Ninja
I thought MLK WAS the Turkey.

LOL J/K my internet bro. Pass the freakin' cran sauce.
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #145832 by MLKstudios
No cran sauce for you! :catfight:

Hey, we're purple!

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024