FL Keys Sunset

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #145761 by WhoShotYaPhotography

Well I decided to drive south this time looking for a good sunset shot and ended up driving pretty far. I wasnt aware they put up an eight foot fence all the way down US1 to key largo. It was 7:05 and the sign said key largo 20 miles. Sun set is at 730.doing 80mph trying to race the sun....I knew of an opening with a boat ramp and that was my destination. I kept looking west at the sun saying im not gona make it. Halfway there I came to a bridge and while crossing noticed some standing water and re evaluated my time fram. Do I stop here...along the dreaded fence? can I even get a shot with all the powerlines? Well I gambled...parked at the bottom of the hill ,grabbed my gear and ran up the hill again. Trying to find a good spot I started to realize I made the wrong decision.At the top of the bridge I was high enough to see over the fence but the powerlines were smack in the middle of the shot. 60 miles of driving for nothing. I start walking down the bridge when I notice a gate with no lock on it.It was to get to the light post with the cameras on top on the side of the highway. On the other side of the fence was sawgrass and all sorts of knee high vedgetation. I think for a second to weigh out my options, trespassing and possible snake bite.....or a great sunset photo. F@#k it im going in. Using the tripod to poke at the ground in front of my I made my way down the enbankment when suddenly.......DEER FLIES!!! They were everywhere, in my ears on my arms and legs even on the viewfinder for the camera!what the heck have i got myself into. never the less, I waited the gruelling 15 minutes for sunset flapping my arms and yelling at flies!! In the end it was all worth it B)

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #145787 by chasrich
So no macros of the flies? :rofl:

Great story and an even better shot of the sunset. Thanks for sharing. :judge: :thumbsup: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #145792 by WhoShotYaPhotography
lol na......but I would love to get my hands on some ext tubes to try some macro shots :)

12 years 6 months ago #145824 by Scotty
Beautiful colors. The story makes it so much better too.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #145847 by MLKstudios
I don't know who thought this job (photography) was gonna be easy. It's hard at times.

Well done, Chris, and glad you made it back alive!

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 6 months ago #145961 by Dori
Well done! Thanks for the story, you told it very well! :judge:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 6 months ago #146396 by Shanna-Marie
LOL, you are quite the story teller Chris, you had me glued to the screen. Sorry you almost got chewed alive getting these but I agree, it was Well worth it-these are beautiful!! :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 6 months ago #147691 by Angela W
Beautiful Shots, and yes the story was great...

12 years 6 months ago #147696 by fotozone
Beautiful photos at least you did get some awesome shots for your hard work. :thumbsup:

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024