camera in artic

13 years 7 months ago #150 by victorville
I am going to the Arctic for 10 days and will be in a tent, however, I will not be inside the tent the whole time and when I am in the tent I will not be able to take the camera bag into the tent. Being in the Armed Forces it also will not be uncommon to have your bag thrown around. Of course I want to get photos of the northern lights and say a polar bear in the wild!! I want to get good pictures but I am concerned about taking a good DSLR into such extreme conditions. Do I have to worry much about my camera and lenses in extreme cold?

13 years 7 months ago #1172 by purerumble
I've been told that as long as you keep the batteries warm you should be fine. Because cold kills batteries.

13 years 6 months ago #1223 by victorville
Thank you very much.

13 years 6 months ago #1276 by blacksabath646
Yeah, you need to keep those batteries warm. And of course protect the camera from moisture.

13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #4199 by Clark Elliott Photography
just like a scope, condensation can form on the inside, and if it freezes some of the moving parts won't function, Keep the camera at as constant temp as you can and as mentioned before, keep the batteries warm. I've shot at -20 for short periods w/o much problem. I move the camera bag out to the trunk of the car the night before so it has a chance to cool down slowly without gathering moisture.
Artic school at Greeley can find temps much colder than that so good luck and good shooting.

13 years 5 months ago #4236 by flyingv
I agree with the above posters make sure you keep those batteries warm. If the batteries are not warm, and they get cold and then warm again condensation can form around the batteries and cause damage.

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024