Sand and Sea

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #153299 by LauraD
Any suggestions welcome

I am a serious hobbyist and I am constantly trying to challenge myself with new and interesting shots. My photography can also be viewed here:
lauradphotography.zenfolio.com/
laura-daddona.artistwebsites.com/
LauraD.imagekind.com

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #153302 by MLKstudios
The sky is blown out in spots, and the sand is a wee bit dark. But still a nice feeling in the shot.

Do you have the original to post? We can see if the cause was exposure or conversion.

HTH :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

The following user(s) said Thank You: LauraD
12 years 5 months ago #153307 by photobod
just darken that sky a tad Laura and you will have a lovely shot :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 5 months ago #153313 by LauraD
C:\Users\Laura\Pictures\2011-09-29 Indiatlantic Beach\Sand and Sea original.jpg
This is the original converted from RAW and resized, no other post processing

I am a serious hobbyist and I am constantly trying to challenge myself with new and interesting shots. My photography can also be viewed here:
LauraD.imagekind.com

12 years 5 months ago #153314 by LauraD
This is the original converted from RAW and resized, no other post processing

LauraD.imagekind.com

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #153316 by MLKstudios
Yes, you have details in the sky!

When converting to black and white, pay attention to two ends of the scale (watch the histogram if possible). Try to keep detail in the highlights AND in the shadows. The rest will fall into place.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 5 months ago #153321 by LauraD
Thank you for the suggestions .... I will see if I can re-work it a bit.

LauraD.imagekind.com

12 years 5 months ago #153326 by rmeyer7
I definitely agree, you have a TON of detail to work with. You can do wonderful things with this photo!

12 years 5 months ago #153335 by chasrich
I feel like I have subscribed to a soap opera... I can't wait for the next installment. :rofl:

I like the color one better than the conversion. Make sure you show us the final choices.

:judge: :thumbsup: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #153372 by KCook
I like the BW version. Agree with the others that the tones need fussing. I would also be tempted to crop a slice off the left end (not a whole lot).

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 5 months ago #153383 by LauraD
Okay so I took it back to PS elements and re-worked it a bit. Unfortunately, I am not sure why but I was unable to get it back to the original RAW version and had to work with it as the JPEG version from above. Not sure why, guess I need to practice a little more PS elements. I may play around with the color version too, but I really like this in B&W and need the practice with b&w conversions.

LauraD.imagekind.com

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #153386 by MLKstudios
No prob.

Have you ever used the Dodging and Burning tools?

Wait! Does Elements have Dodging and Burning tools?

:unsure:

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 5 months ago #153390 by LauraD
They do, and I have played around with them a bit, but not with great results I think I need to practice a bit.

LauraD.imagekind.com

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #153397 by MLKstudios
Good. Dodge lightens and Burn darkens. They come from the old darkroom days.

Make a big brush and Dodge the sand, then a smaller one for the log. Then maybe play a little in the sky. It might look good darker? Or maybe lighter?

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 5 months ago #153404 by rmeyer7
There are a couple of things that will probably make the dodge and burn tools work a little more like you want them to. First is something Matthew said, which is to use a large brush. If you use those tools with a brush that's too small for the area, you'll end up with something that looks streaky.

The other thing I'd recommend is to lower the exposure setting on the tools. That way it won't be so drastic of a change. You might find that you need a few passes to get the look you want in some areas, but that's better than one single pass that overdoes the effect.

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024