A bit warped.....

12 years 5 months ago #157565 by Shanna-Marie
I really like this pic EXCEPT for the buildings on the Right side. I know that a wide angle lens can cause this to happen, I don't really understand why but will someone explain to me how to prevent this in the future? It wrecked a perfectly good shot.....:(

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 5 months ago #157600 by Towcestermark
Lens correction tab in your raw software (that came with the camera) can adjust this

12 years 5 months ago #157601 by Baydream
All houses in Maine lean a little ;)
The answer above is correct (see how that tree on the left leans a bit also).
Corel calls it Repairing Distortion for lens or barrel distortion. .

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #157602 by VT Hiker
A lot of times that effect is desired; it's one of the cool things about using an ultra-wide angle. You can't prevent it (dang physics getting in the way again), but you can try to correct it during processing.

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 5 months ago #157614 by Shanna-Marie
Thank God for Smart people! Thanks guys, I really appreciate it cause I didn't have a clue. Of course I've heard of this but didn't know what it looked like. Now I do..... :) You're funny John, living here not only effects the houses but I've met Alot of people here, especially lately that are a bit warped or sideways too.....:side: :side:
O.K., I'm gonna go see if I can fix this now..........:woohoo:

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

12 years 5 months ago #157623 by Scotty
Another expensive answer is a tilt-shift lens.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #157633 by Shanna-Marie
:rofl: Thanks Scotty, I just looked at the prices of those lenses..... I think I'll pass, besides, this is a new lens so I can't buy anything for awhile. John, the lens distortion fix in Corel just screws up the rest of the pic and doesn't straighten the houses at all. I'll mess with this later, my brain hurts tonight. But thanks a bunch for all of your help, I really appreciate it. :)

12 years 5 months ago #157636 by Scotty

Shanna-Marie wrote: :rofl: Thanks Scotty, I just looked at the prices of those lenses..... I think I'll pass, besides, this is a new lens so I can't buy anything for awhile. John, the lens distortion fix in Corel just screws up the rest of the pic and doesn't straighten the houses at all. I'll mess with this later, my brain hurts tonight. But thanks a bunch for all of your help, I really appreciate it. :)

Also, you could always go up to 50mm, take multiple shots, and stitch it together to avoid distortion.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #157643 by Shanna-Marie
:pinch: Sigh.......You Are Joking.....right? I know I'm gullible Scotty but the reason I got This wide angle lens was so that I wouldn't have to do That........:lol:

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #157731 by Joiemagic
Great shot anyway Shanna... :judge:

OH, and stitching does work.... as you have seen... eliminates the need for the wide angle lens... thereby saving you money... but, being you already got the WA lens... oh well..

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 5 months ago #157764 by Shanna-Marie
Thank you Joie, yes, I know it works and I've seen some beautiful works of art proving this. I'm going to take this shot again and if I have the same results I'll try to fix it "in camera" as was suggested earlier. This pic is no longer in my camera.....

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #157783 by photobod

Shanna-Marie wrote: Thank you Joie, yes, I know it works and I've seen some beautiful works of art proving this. I'm going to take this shot again and if I have the same results I'll try to fix it "in camera" as was suggested earlier. This pic is no longer in my camera.....

I watched a video a while back that showed how to correct the distortion without affecting the rest of the photo, they put pins in various places the only prob is I cannot remember where I saw it, so maybe google or look through PT using the search tab.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 5 months ago #157823 by chasrich
Another approach might be to hunker down a little so you keep the bottom of the fram in the shot (love the rocks in the foreground) while at the same time raising the perspective to place the items you want vertical closed to the centerline of the frame. Distortion in WA is around the center of the lens. I'm not sure if I explained the why and perhaps it would mess up the shot in other ways but it is worth a try. :judge: :thumbsup: :goodpost:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #157897 by Dori
A very lovely shot tho!!! :thumbsup:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 5 months ago #157975 by Shanna-Marie
Hey, thanks a bunch David , Rich & Dori! David, I'll have a look around here first and see if I can find what you're talking about-I appreciate your help. :)
Rich, I read this earlier today in my E-mail notifications and I was hoping to get this shot again. When I got there the sky was black, pretty windy so No reflections at all. Will try what you suggested hopefully sometime this weekend. ;)
I thought that I had deleted this from my camera but it's still in there. I had a look around , I've got an adjustment for distortion but it only made it look worse. I can't find the disc that came with my camera, I think there was one for Capture NX, not sure that this will do what i'm looking for though....?
Anyway.........thank you all so much for all of your help & suggestions, I Really Appreciate it!:) :)

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024