NYC Central Park

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #260197 by Alex
Here's a shot from Central Park from our recent trip up there. Last night I was tooling around with some different things I've recently learned in Photoshop.

What do you think of this shot? To much or OK? Click on image to see more detail

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago #260198 by McBeth Photography
Love the colors and the composition, but I do think the treatment is a little strong, kind of a subjective thing though. :)

It is what it is.
11 years 5 months ago #260199 by Alex

McBeth Photography wrote: Love the colors and the composition, but I do think the treatment is a little strong, kind of a subjective thing though. :)

Yeah I hear you. I kind of like the look, perhaps because I know a few more tricks in Photoshop (granted I cooked the living @#$% out of it in this shot) I'm more pleased with knowing that I manually did this, so my perception is out of whack. LOL... Jackie thought it was a bit over the top too!

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #260200 by hghlndr6
I'd like it if the stonework bridge were not in it. Or, if you had kept the bridge really, really sharp. You did a good job, Alex, but on the wrong photo, imo. ;)
11 years 5 months ago #260201 by McBeth Photography

Alex wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote: Love the colors and the composition, but I do think the treatment is a little strong, kind of a subjective thing though. :)

Yeah I hear you. I kind of like the look, perhaps because I know a few more tricks in Photoshop (granted I cooked the living @#$% out of it in this shot) I'm more pleased with knowing that I manually did this, so my perception is out of whack. LOL... Jackie thought it was a bit over the top too!

I think that if you simply backed off the transparency of the treatment layer a little it would make a very good print. I often get Jennifer's opinion on treatments before I export from lightroom, she usually sees thing that I have overlooked.

It is what it is.
11 years 5 months ago #260202 by Alex
I could also blame my warped perception on the couple drinks I had last night :whistle: :rofl:

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #260203 by McBeth Photography

Alex wrote: I could also blame my warped perception on the couple drinks I had last night :whistle: :rofl:

Hmmm, yeah....that'll do it too! lol! :banana: :banana: :beerbang:

It is what it is.
11 years 5 months ago #260208 by jeffsutain
Photo is composed nicely, Im guessing this might be In HDR

jeff's photo's
11 years 5 months ago #260214 by photobod
I personally feel its a tad overcooked but I think you know this anyway by readiong your own comments, the main thing is you are learning photoshop and are prepared to put yourself out there for critique, well done I say. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

11 years 5 months ago #260227 by pinoldy
I've been here!

I like the afterwork you did. There's almost a misty quality to the light, and the softness and color make me feel nostalgic. Beautiful composition, too.

11 years 5 months ago #260235 by KCook
Depends entirely on the application. This would be terrific for a greeting card.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 5 months ago #260237 by icepics
Really nice balance to the composition, just seems like there's nothing sharply in focus in the image (there probably was in the original but seems to have gotten lost in the processing). Sounds like it was a fun experiment, not sure that makes it a keeper (at least my experiments sometimes work and other times go directly in the trash!).

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #260247 by hghlndr6

icepics wrote: Really nice balance to the composition, just seems like there's nothing sharply in focus in the image (there probably was in the original but seems to have gotten lost in the processing). Sounds like it was a fun experiment, not sure that makes it a keeper (at least my experiments sometimes work and other times go directly in the trash!).

I think "nothing sharply in focus" was the goal, Sharon. Alex can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing he was going for the "Orton Effect," ... an altered reality, "dreamlike" appearance done originally by sandwiching films together. Something we can do easily with layers in PS. Rather than overdone, I think he didn't go far enough ... that massive stonework is still too "real," imo. On the other hand, it could be an interesting effect if the stonework, and maybe the path, was held really sharp while everything else was made "dreamy."

It's one of those things that you either really like, or can't stand. ;)

@ Alex. Good photo though. Very nicely composed.
11 years 5 months ago #260564 by icepics
I wasn't familiar with Orton but looked at the website. Some of it especially the more abstract images are interesting, but some seem like I'm trying to see what's there, especially with a more realistic than abstract scene; I feel like I'm looking thru a blur or smear and can't really see anything. Of course photos can be created that are less realistic and more interpretive, but some of this type effect to me seems difficult to look at more than creative.

Sharon
Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024