Sunrise today

11 years 4 months ago #262886 by nedward50
Frosty start to today, went to Darwen and walked up the moor to Sunnyhurst Reservoir.

If you have time let me know what you think?.

Cheers
Ned

Attachments:
11 years 4 months ago #262900 by KCook
The composition of the middle one works best for me. I would crop a little off the right side, but not so much that the frame ends up square. I would like to see more contrast in the sky, along with a slight lightening to the landscape. Of course those are conflicting requirements, so very hard to pull off without resorting to masking. At least lightening the landscape is easy, bump up the dark output in the Levels tool.

Hey, you are a lot more dedicated photog than me, to get out so early on a freezing morning!

desert rat

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: nedward50
11 years 4 months ago #262903 by McBeth Photography
Any shot that gets a photographer out of the house that early in the morning is a great shot! I do agree with Kelly's suggestions for adjustments, I also agree that the composition of shot #2 is the best. White balance looks really good!

Looks like a beautiful morning to be out!

:thumbsup:

It is what it is.
11 years 4 months ago #262935 by Rascal07
:agree: Also they are beautiful !
11 years 4 months ago #262942 by nedward50
:agree:
With all that has been said, they are flat light shots apart from the wind pump which is side lit, they are silhouettes which makes the contrast we need for depth and definition difficult to achieve.

I used a coloured (black) screw in circular graduated filter, cheap from China to hold back the sky, maybe i should have shot without, yes without the filter to get some better contrast. Still think they would be flat as i'd expose for the sky.

Thing is that the moorland grass needs light on it. To illustrate here's a link to a comparison shot taken toward sunset a couple of weeks ago.

The link also shows the sunrise and set positions for that location today. By the time the sun was sitting on the hilltop all the colour had gone. The sun rises more than once when there's a hill in the way?

Link is posted as i don't like the way our efforts are rendered here by the algorithms and gubbins that this site uses. Plus you'll visit my site !!!! :please: pretty please.

Thanks to all who have taken time to view and comment. From those comments and my on site observations I think the sunset has more potential on this site. nedwar0.wix.com/ned-ward-photography#!jubilee-tower/c1b3o

The whole process from planning to execution is a buzz for me, and I worked or many years with my hands, outside and in any weather, the cold is no worry if you dress well and keep moving. :banana:

I have no illusions about the standard of my images but it keeps me put of jail! Well it has done recently....too much detail lol.

Cheers
Ned
11 years 4 months ago #262946 by icepics
I rather like the first one, I'm not sure if it's the balance or maybe there's more tension in the vertical perspective.

I think low light like this can be tricky, I did some sunset and late evening photos this summer (digtal not film) and lightening the image seems to really start to take away from the picture looking like it was taken at that time of day. I think that's a good observation that the landscape wouldn't have much light on it that time of day for it to be a brighter or richer color.

Gubbins? - LOL is there software to counteract those? The photos do look better on your site, the color seems better.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 4 months ago #262984 by KCook
I for one am impressed with your analysis of sunrise vs sunset. Conceptualization is not one of my strengths, I am more likely to blunder about looking for a decent shot.

Yup, the version on your WIX site shows a lot more color saturation, which really perks the image up!

Keep up the good work (but also try without the dodgy filters),
Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 4 months ago #263023 by nedward50
Sharon,
Its stretching it a bit in portrait mode with a 6x4 ratio, I try it often but don't get it right, there always seems to be too much space?

Yup Gubbins is a technical term where better words just fail lol.

Yes i agree if you lighten too much whats the point of shooting at that time of day. I tend to getter better results into the sun when shooting seascapes. With a hill or mountain in the way my shots turn out "muddy" when i wait for the sun to sit on the hilltop the cloud colour is lost. Yet i've seen many great examples of well taken shots where the colours are vibrant, detail good etc. etc.

Cheers
Ned
11 years 4 months ago #263024 by nedward50

KCook wrote: I for one am impressed with your analysis of sunrise vs sunset. Conceptualization is not one of my strengths, I am more likely to blunder about looking for a decent shot.

Yup, the version on your WIX site shows a lot more color saturation, which really perks the image up!

Kelly

I too blunder but don't get the good shot in the main (can I hear some melancholy violins in the background?) but like i say its the whole experience, which is just as well cause the photography sucks! I can see the shot, just can't make it real.

As for dodgy filters, well i'm arse holing to the new economic world power. The Chinese will rule eventually, they have great history, culture, art and sheer numbers. It cost more to ship the filter than buy it. However the grad has already started to fall off in places!!!!! only kidding.

Time to consider the Cokin or Singh Ray system methinks, here in this link they show Neds "muddy water" approach to bright light images but they can do it without the dodgy filters. Then they compare it to a well exposed colour bright good shot.

More fiddling with cold hands and equipment methinks but it looks worth it. Either that or stick to seascapes where my system just about works. singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

Cheers
mud skipper.
11 years 4 months ago #263173 by KCook
I should look in the mirror before casting stones about art filters. Got more Cokins than I will ever use. I still pack one or two in my bag, with a wistful promise that I will use them someday. But my rule is to get the shot sans filter first. Dig out the art filter only when time permits. Which is very infrequent.

BTW, do you check your PMs?
Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #263174 by McBeth Photography

nedward50 wrote:

KCook wrote: I for one am impressed with your analysis of sunrise vs sunset. Conceptualization is not one of my strengths, I am more likely to blunder about looking for a decent shot.

Kelly

I too blunder but don't get the good shot in the main (can I hear some melancholy violins in the background?) but like i say its the whole experience, which is just as well cause the photography sucks! I can see the shot, just can't make it real.

As for dodgy filters, well i'm arse holing to the new economic world power. The Chinese will rule eventually, they have great history, culture, art and sheer numbers. It cost more to ship the filter than buy it. However the grad has already started to fall off in places!!!!! only kidding.

Time to consider the Cokin or Singh Ray system methinks, here in this link they show Neds "muddy water" approach to bright light images but they can do it without the dodgy filters. Then they compare it to a well exposed colour bright good shot.

More fiddling with cold hands and equipment methinks but it looks worth it. Either that or stick to seascapes where my system just about works. singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html

Cheers
mud skipper.

I sold off around 35 cokin "A" filters of various types with holders, cases, hoods, junk, stuff, crap, and things.....I then took the money from the sale and bought two Singh-Ray GND's, 2-stop soft-edge and 3-stop soft-edge! I often think of the poor soul that purchased the Cokin gear from me and feel a sense of pity, this quickly passes. I heartily recommend the Singh-Ray filters and carry the two filters even in a "1 lens kit" kind of a walk.

Nice job on the website Ned, a decent site is my next step in the journey.

Barry

It is what it is.
11 years 4 months ago #263191 by nedward50
BTW, do you check your PMs?
Kelly[/quote]

Sent you a PM Kelly, in the past most people ignore me, can't say I blame em but it stops me using PM's :thx2:
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #263192 by nedward50
:thx2: Barry thats great advice. It will save me time "skinning my knees" and spending money i don't have. I use glass circular filters in the main, polarisers, nd blockers etc. where it applies across the frame.

I knew all along i'd have to get a holder and resin filters to expand flexibility. The cheap Chinese filters are good for a try out though. I bought a (BW German firm) circular nd grad but it only blocks 1 stop and is so faint its difficult to see where it starts and ends when on site. Also the circular screw ins are limiting composition wise as you have fixed "horizons" on the lens.

The web site is just an experiment and you get what you pay for in my opinion. Pro's need a pro approach and would need a designer methinks to get a good showcase and web presence, the customer would ultimately pay.

Cheers
Ned
p.s. talking of equipment and the pro approach, check this out, mind blowing money weeder.org/iWCU0OeH8eq-

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024