First Assembly Ministries

10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #361585 by DSRay

One of my first large interiors.

Canon XTi, Sigma 10-20mm, ISO 200 , f-1/16 a 9 exposure HDR.  You know I like C&C!

I had to run across the street to the supermarket for cardboard boxes which I flattened and covered the AC vents to keep the flags still during the long exposure time.

10 years 3 weeks ago #361627 by garyrhook
Nicely detailed. I'm curious, though: why 9 exposures? That seems like an awful lot.

Photo Comments
10 years 3 weeks ago #361641 by One Wish
Well, you have captured a wide range of light!  9 seems a big high, but it's a cool shot, so it works.

Photo Comments
10 years 3 weeks ago #361653 by DSRay

garyrhook wrote: Nicely detailed. I'm curious, though: why 9 exposures? That seems like an awful lot.

It does seem like a lot, but when you look at the image you can see the walls below the lights is still blown out.  There is really a huge brightness range from those wall highlights to the shadows above the pulpit lighting ceiling.  One of the things I learned from this exercise is to always shoot more exposures than I think I need, especially in the highlight range.  The histogram doesn't always tell the full truth when a variance is such a small portion of the overall.

The following user(s) said Thank You: rtenny
10 years 2 weeks ago #363441 by Stealthy Ninja
Seems like the type of place where they like to clap a lot... ;)

Anyway... I can't help feeling like I want to see the stage a bit more.
10 years 2 weeks ago #364043 by Don Hatch
nicely done. but something's missing..

10 years 2 weeks ago #364193 by Stealthy Ninja

Don Hatch wrote: nicely done. but something's missing..

People? :huh:
10 years 2 weeks ago #364281 by photobod
Great C.C. work, but a wider angle lens would have provided what is missing, which is the stage on the left and the rest of the seating on the right, or maybe two shots so you could have stitched them together, you do say you like C.C. !!!

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

10 years 2 weeks ago #364305 by DSRay

photobod wrote: Great C.C. work, but a wider angle lens would have provided what is missing, which is the stage on the left and the rest of the seating on the right, or maybe two shots so you could have stitched them together, you do say you like C.C. !!!

Hey, I do like C&C!

First, I really think it would be difficult for me to shoot this with a wider lens as I used a 10-20mm at 10mm to begin with.  I suppose I could have used a fish-eye but that probably wouldn't have given me the results I wanted.

As far as including the rest of the stage and/or seating, that was not the object of this particular shot although it did accomplish that magnificently.  When you stop laughing, consider the photograph does not show them yet you knew they were there.  That is the value of this shot; by showing a part, it allows you to conceive the whole.

The image was intended to show the beauty of the building, the potential number of attendees and the amount and placement of equipment needed for televangelism activities.  People are also not a factor as this isn't about them, it's about the facilities.

I do have other shots from this series showing the complete stage with the minister at the pulpit and a 4 shot panoramic of the seating from the back of the stage but those are those and this is this.  No masses of humanity tho...

10 years 1 week ago #364497 by garyrhook

DSRay wrote: As far as including the rest of the stage and/or seating, that was not the object of this particular shot although it did accomplish that magnificently.  When you stop laughing, consider the photograph does not show them yet you knew they were there.  That is the value of this shot; by showing a part, it allows you to conceive the whole.

I agree. You were successful in providing an impression of the space, rather than attempting to detail every little nook and cranny. For me, :judge:

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: DSRay
10 years 1 week ago #364603 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote:

DSRay wrote: As far as including the rest of the stage and/or seating, that was not the object of this particular shot although it did accomplish that magnificently.  When you stop laughing, consider the photograph does not show them yet you knew they were there.  That is the value of this shot; by showing a part, it allows you to conceive the whole.

I agree. You were successful in providing an impression of the space, rather than attempting to detail every little nook and cranny. For me, :judge:

excuses excuses. :P

Merge to pano in PS next time dudes.
10 years 1 week ago #364605 by DSRay
Whatever.

10 years 1 week ago #364625 by garyrhook

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Merge to pano in PS next time dudes.

For the benefit of our audience,

Dwight pointed out that this is architectural photography for a customer. The customer decides the format and the content, not the photographer. The photographer simply strives to meet the requirements of the job. Given that this image is likely for a poster, or flyers, or other "marketing"-type materials, it's likely got a format constraint. Which means no pano.

Granted, Dwight could have had some fun at the time and nabbed a few extra images to create a pano for his own benefit. But what the customer wants is paramount. I should think they'd be quite satisfied with this. It seems very commercial to me.

Or, as said above, whatever.

Photo Comments
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #364683 by Stealthy Ninja
You guys love your excuses.

DSRay wrote: The image was intended to show the beauty of the building, the potential number of attendees and the amount and placement of equipment needed for televangelism activities. 

But it doesn't show all the seating. :huh:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024