Renovated ballroom: CC

5 years 1 month ago #635716 by garyrhook
Tried my hand at a bit of interior work for an arts organization. Nikon D850 with a 20mm lens. The wall of mirrors was a challenge.

What works, what doesn't work?

There are a few more in my Architecture album here on PT.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635734 by Nikon Shooter
Well done with the mirrors in the second, Gary.

The issue that seems to beg for a tweak here is the WB, IMO.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635802 by Steve Rodriguez
The lighting is good. I also like the second shot. 

5 years 1 month ago #635858 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote: Well done with the mirrors in the second, Gary.

The issue that seems to beg for a tweak here is the WB, IMO.

It was an extremely yellow room, both in decor and lighting. What you see is what the camera chose. I did not shoot a gray card, and am unable to find any settings that improve upon this.

Instead of suggesting that the WB needs a tweak, perhaps it would be more helpful to suggest what that tweak might actually be?f

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #635865 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: It was an extremely yellow room, both in decor and lighting. What you see is what the camera chose. I did not shoot a gray card, and am unable to find any settings that improve upon this.

That's why I always have a colour checker in my bag,

garyrhook wrote: Instead of suggesting that the WB needs a tweak, perhaps it would be more helpful to suggest what that tweak might actually be?f

I assumed a guy like you would know the way out.

I got your first shot in my converter and I noticed that the columns 
are white… use a part that is lit indirectly to sample the WB.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635867 by Shadowfixer1
Use the piano keys on the images with the piano in it.
5 years 1 month ago #635868 by Nikon Shooter

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Use the piano keys on the images with the piano in it.

Yes, the white keys would be a good way but they are directly lit
and there is no way to know if the piano's body was stained.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635869 by Shadowfixer1
All I know is it looks right when you use the keys. I tried it.
5 years 1 month ago #635881 by KCook
I'm sure these are better than I could do. That said, I would expect the piano keys in #3 and #4 to be brighter, regardless of color cast. My wife used to play the darned things.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 1 month ago #635915 by Kira Minori
I like the composition of the 4th shot as well. I like the placement of the piano in this shot. Good photo. 

5 years 1 month ago #635995 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: All I know is it looks right when you use the keys. I tried it.

When I sample the front end of a key in the original, I get a temp of 3250 and a tint of -1. It's green. The results from the processed image (above) are even worse. What LR values do you get?

Also: what precisely do we not like about the toning? Too pink?

By all means, post a modified version. I'm curious as to what it looks like on my calibrated monitor.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635996 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote: That's why I always have a colour checker in my bag,

Yeah, it was in the wrong bag.

I assumed a guy like you would know the way out.

Not helpful. Data, not opinions, are what I'm asking for.

I got your first shot in my converter and I noticed that the columns are white… use a part that is lit indirectly to sample the WB.

That would be incorrect. I live in Texas. Nothing is painted white here. Everything is some shade that isn't exact; mostly it's Rainier white or antique white, both slightly yellow. FYI sampling the column in middle of #5 (original image) provides a temp of 2350. What does C1 think it should be?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635997 by garyrhook
And, for what it's worth, the unedited image (except for an simple exposure boost), which to me is extremely pink. The D850 chose a temp of 2500 and a tint of +10 (LR values). When I sample the keys, I get 2350/-2. Neither of which I like.

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D850
Lens: 20.0 mm f/2.8
ISO: 200
Aperture: f/11.0
Shutter speed: 1.3 sec
Captured: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 17:41pm

By all means, please explain what I should do here.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #636010 by KCook

garyrhook wrote: And, for what it's worth, the unedited image (except for an simple exposure boost), which to me is extremely pink. The D850 chose a temp of 2500 and a tint of +10 (LR values). When I sample the keys, I get 2350/-2. Neither of which I like.

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D850
Lens: 20.0 mm f/2.8
ISO: 200
Aperture: f/11.0
Shutter speed: 1.3 sec
Captured: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 17:41pm

By all means, please explain what I should do here.

At least the keys are plenty bright :thumbsup:

As for color correction, I don't mind saying I don't have a clue.  I've never been there, how does it match your memory?  As an interior decorator I would not like this tint.  But - I'm not an interior decorator - nor would anybody ever hire me for that.

nohelp

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 1 month ago #636020 by Nikon Shooter
C1 renders this after I applied parametric colour tweaks

Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024