Just Messing Around

4 years 11 months ago #641654 by J.T.Imaging
There is a long story behind this image. I will try to make it short. On my way to a certain destination, I always pass by a house that has tulips planted out by the roadway. Mentioning it to my wife she requested I stop sometime and take a photograph so she could see. So today, I did just that but all I had with me was a 150-600mm zoom lens. Just messing around I cranked up the shutter speed, closed way down the aperture and got off three shots when here came the homeowner asking "What the hell I was doing?" (his house was in line of sight) After explaining I was a photographer merely taking images of his tulips he calmed down and we had a nice conversation. I wasn't expecting much in the way of quality images because the flowers were beginning to degrade but I was able to tweak the following shot into something soft and glowing.

Specializing In Close-Up Images
Attachments:
4 years 11 months ago #641710 by Sarit Kevesh
Not bad. i like the details here! Beautiful flowers even if it is starting to wither. 

4 years 11 months ago #641713 by J.T.Imaging

Sarit Kevesh wrote: Not bad. i like the details here! Beautiful flowers even if it is starting to wither. 

Thank you Sarit. Very kind of you to say so! It was extremely overcast that day and because of the long focal length, the ISO was very high. When I eliminated the noise in post processing it made the texture of the pedals quite smooth - but I thought the soft effect was appealing.

4 years 11 months ago #641720 by GaryA
Nice, especially for a pair of blooms in decline.  I often take a camera with me when the pooch walks me around the neighborhood.  I also get confronted by homeowners. One time a guy came roaring up and then slammed on his brakes next to me, came aggressively out of the car demanding for me to explain what I was doing.  I replied exercising my 1st Amendment rights ... what are you doing?  He said he was going to report me to the Neighborhood Watch ... I gave him a quizzed expression and said I live over there and there is no Neighborhood Watch for this neighborhood.

Some people get all funny when they see a camera.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 years 10 months ago #642177 by Aaron Rogers
These are really soft-colored petals! I like the details too. 

4 years 10 months ago #642204 by garyrhook

J.T.Imaging wrote: It was extremely overcast that day and because of the long focal length, the ISO was very high.

Other than the maximum possible aperture (i.e. how wide open) on a lens like that, you do understand that focal length has zero impact on sensor sensitivity, right? Your required ISO value is irrelevant of the focal length, and depends upon aperture, shutter speed, and available light. Nothing else.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642211 by J.T.Imaging

garyrhook wrote:

J.T.Imaging wrote: It was extremely overcast that day and because of the long focal length, the ISO was very high.

Other than the maximum possible aperture (i.e. how wide open) on a lens like that, you do understand that focal length has zero impact on sensor sensitivity, right? Your required ISO value is irrelevant of the focal length, and depends upon aperture, shutter speed, and available light. Nothing else.

I had my ISO set on auto. I wanted a totally dark background, so when the first shot came out I wasn't completely satisfied. I cranked the aperture closed even more and then I got what I was looking for.

4 years 10 months ago #642227 by Troponin

GaryA wrote: Nice, especially for a pair of blooms in decline.  I often take a camera with me when the pooch walks me around the neighborhood.  I also get confronted by homeowners. One time a guy came roaring up and then slammed on his brakes next to me, came aggressively out of the car demanding for me to explain what I was doing.  I replied exercising my 1st Amendment rights ... what are you doing?  He said he was going to report me to the Neighborhood Watch ... I gave him a quizzed expression and said I live over there and there is no Neighborhood Watch for this neighborhood.

Some people get all funny when they see a camera.

My reaction to highly aggressive behavior is usually the same; tell me what law(s) I have broken first if you’re going to confront me so boldly. Confront me with some respect and we can have a reasonable conversation. 

Nice capture. I made one of my very favorite captures the same exact way. Folks had gorgeous wild flowers in the easement area of their property. I do try to take care when aiming the camera. If light allows it, I try to point it away from houses because they don’t realize bokeh or lighting won’t show the house most times.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642291 by Kelly Emery
What a turn of interesting events, producing a good shot. You should have asked him to allow you to shoot more if he is friendly already. . 

4 years 10 months ago #644171 by Suni Park
Nice soft tones of the flowers! 

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024