Back to the ferry dock. (Richmond, CA)

1 year 1 week ago #644438 by Jared-Weaver
I'm back from work which means I'm back to shooting in some very limited spots around the office in Richmond, CA. 

I finally got some more stormy conditions to try some long exposures.

I'm always looking to improve so C/C is appreciated. My end goal is to produce a worthy image of this old, and historical dock before its completely reclaimed by the sea. 

Before anyone comments- No, you can't actually go onto the dock. The concrete pier goes out to it but it doesn't connect, and its quite a leap to get over there. 

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 6D
Lens: EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 03m:29s
Captured: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 20:41pm
Aperture: f/13.0
Shutter speed: 01m:30s
Captured: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 20:21pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 1 week ago #644478 by Jack Mason
Good composition! But the water exposure is a bit too much for me. It does not look very natural!

1 year 1 week ago #644538 by Jared-Weaver
Gonna have to be more specific.

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #644558 by razashaikh
Nice composition! But, I can suggest you that next time make it more naturally.
But, its a nice one!

1 year 1 week ago #644574 by Jared-Weaver
I'm not following. What does that mean? What's not natural about the image? 

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago - 1 year 1 week ago #644587 by garyrhook
They're blue, they're dark, they're long exposures. That's the whole point, right?

The clouds seem to not have been moving much in the 2nd shot, which is unfortunate. I like to see the smooth water with the streaky clouds. But that's a nit.

I do think some D&B on the structure to add some interest might be nice.

Overall, another good job. :thumbsup:

Photo Comments

1 year 1 week ago #644591 by Jared-Weaver

garyrhook wrote: They're blue, they're dark, they're long exposures. That's the whole point, right?

The clouds seem to not have been moving much in the 2nd shot, which is unfortunate. I like to see the smooth water with the streaky clouds. But that's a nit.

I do think some D&B on the structure to add some interest might be nice.

Overall, another good job. :thumbsup:

Yup! I'm loving the moody, long exposure shots lately and I feel like they work well for this location. 

I think the exposure on the 1x1 crop was closer to a minute. Probably should have gone longer. 

I see what you mean, they're a little dark even with the radial filter applied. I'll repost with some adjustments soon. 

Thanks for the tips! 

Photo Comments

1 year 6 days ago #644743 by Kyle Johnson
For long exposure shots, I think this is good because of the colors and the smooth flow of both the water and the clouds. Some may not like this because they prefer a naturalistic flow of the water. 

1 year 6 days ago - 1 year 6 days ago #644819 by garyrhook

Kyle Johnson wrote: For long exposure shots, I think this is good because of the colors and the smooth flow of both the water and the clouds. Some may not like this because they prefer a naturalistic flow of the water. 

(I'm not talking to Kyle here, I'm just commenting on the thread.)

"I don't care for that image because it doesn't show what I want it to show."

:blink:

The only response to that is, "really?"

We assess an image based on what is there, not on what we think should be there. If you want "realistic" water (whatever that is) then go find images that contain that.

Photo Comments

1 year 5 days ago #644977 by Jared-Weaver
Relevant C/C is something many people struggle with on this forum in my experience.

This is hyperbole, bit I've seen many offer C/C similar to: "This is a good image but it would be better if you managed to put a giraffe in a tutu in the frame!"

That would be a good thread for a discussion and some teaching: C/C 101.

Photo Comments

1 year 4 days ago #645147 by Jared-Weaver
Finally back at my desktop. Here's the improved images. I played with the radial filter, brought out more from the shadows from the under the pier, added contrast and desaturated, warmed and dropped the tint a bit. 

Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 03m:29s
Captured: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 20:41pm
Aperture: f/13.0
Shutter speed: 01m:30s
Captured: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 20:21pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:

1 year 1 day ago #645646 by Uplander
Bravo on the color tones and improved shots.  Thumbs up from me.

Photo Comments

1 year 16 hours ago #645693 by garyrhook
There you go. NIcely done.

I like the increased range, especially in the clouds, and the color and detail on the structure. I think it provides much more to explore.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jared-Weaver

11 months 4 weeks ago #645873 by Stefan-Olsson
nice photos, I would get rid of some "elements" like the guy with the tri pod for instance. Kills the whole deserted vibe about it. Thats just me though

Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

In the Fujifilm X-T2 vs Fujifulm X-T3 battle, which one comes out on top? These cameras are evenly matched, yet have distinct advantages all their own.

May 05, 2020

Latest Articles

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

What is a graduated ND filter? Do you know how to use a graduated ND filter? If not, check out this landscape photography tutorial!

May 21, 2020

My favorite drone is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. But after spending the last few weeks playing with the Mavic Air 2, I've come to the conclusion that it's the best drone you can buy for less than $1,000.

May 21, 2020

There are more ways to carry camera gear than the strap that came with your camera. Give one of these beautiful, well-made, comfortable options a try.

May 20, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Offering your clients a high-quality photo album is a great idea. Offering them bespoke photo album add-ons is an even better option!

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

In this Snaptiles vs Mixtiles comparison, learn which photo tile is better from a build quality standpoint and ease of use.

May 19, 2020