Construction site - light seeping through

1 year 2 weeks ago #645026 by JFP

Any advice on how to capture this in a better way? I was either too dark, like the bottom section here, or too light were you couldn't see the three rays shining through the floors of the building under construction. Couldn't get it better while editing it on different versions of the photo with different apertures.
Do you reach the limits of the camera (Olympus Stylus 1) or the photographer (Me)?

Thanks,

Jonathan 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 2 weeks ago #645028 by Nikon Shooter
No, Jonathan, this is not too bad as the theatrical light
is well describing what you wanted to express. I would
consider cropping out the lower third, though. :)

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 year 2 weeks ago #645097 by JFP
Mmmh, sounds OK, but i like the verticality of the picture

1 year 2 weeks ago #645135 by Shadowfixer1
Verticality is fine except when there is nothing there. Way too much negative space which adds nothing to the image. NS is correct. Crop it or bring up the shadow areas a bit to eliminate so much negative space. It looks like there is some information in the bottom portion to bring out. 

1 year 1 week ago #645146 by JFP
Make: OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Model: STYLUS1
ISO: 250
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 1/160 sec
Captured: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 8:40am

There, that's better (well, to me!) 

Thanks for the advice!

Jonathan

Attachments:

1 year 1 week ago #645182 by iGeek
Crop version is looking better, nice job here.  

The following user(s) said Thank You: JFP

1 year 1 week ago #645275 by Sarit Kevesh

Nikon Shooter wrote: No, Jonathan, this is not too bad as the theatrical light
is well describing what you wanted to express. I would
consider cropping out the lower third, though. :)

:thumbsup:  it does not add in the composition of the shot because there is nothing to see in there. If you would have wanted to emphasize it's vertical point, maybe a little more details in there or interesting lights or colors. 

1 year 1 week ago #645279 by bjb5228
Agree with the crop.  Though it does still seem a little dark.  Does brightening up the shaded areas help at all?

1 year 1 week ago #645449 by Rohan Tushar
I don't think so, it will blow out the highlights i think but if you can compensate with some adjustments not compromising the highlights, it might work.

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these basic landscape photography tips, you'll be able to plan and prepare your outings so you can start taking better photos.

Jun 03, 2020

The Canon 5D Mark IV might be showing its age a bit, but it's still a great camera for 2020, particularly for shooting HD video.

Jun 03, 2020

The DJI Mavic 2 Pro is one of the best drones I've ever owned, and it's even better with these must-have Mavic 2 Pro accessories.

Jun 03, 2020

Increasing your photography income is something that could be easier than you think. Check out these ideas for making extra money so you can improve your bottom line.

Jun 03, 2020

To shoot nude photography takes time, dedication, and practice. Get a few practical tips in this introduction to nude photography.

Jun 03, 2020

Variable ND filters aren't for everyone, but they do have many benefits for photographers. In this guide, learn about the pros of variable ND filters, the cons, the difference between variable ND filters and fixed ND filters, and more.

Jun 02, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

In this ball head buying guide, learn about the specs and features of some of the top ball heads of 2020.

Jun 01, 2020