View from the Train Platform (Thoughts and Criticism Appreciated)

2 months 2 weeks ago #650104 by Danni_Shiv

I may be going on a long road trip soon, and I wanted to secure a wide angle lens before I leave (otherwise I'll be shooting landscapes with a 50mm, which isn't the worst, but I would prefer options). Before taking the plunge and purchasing a nice wide angle for my 800, I wanted to test my Nikon D3300's kit lens (an 18-55mm dx lens) to see just how sharp and clean I could get the photos (using the 3300, of course, which, with a great lens, is a great camera).

Unfortunately, a kit lens is not exactly a "great lens".

Since these kit lenses are pretty notorious for producing sub par photos, I wasn't expecting much. This photo is one of the results. Shot with the shortest focal length at f 8, though 5.6 might have been better. I don't know if I'm pleased with it or not. I think it's an alright picture. I've seen people do some truly stunning things with kit lenses, so maybe with a little more fiddling I can get it right.

Wanted to mention I edited the photo so it would be that dark. Not sure if it actually adds to it in any way. I think the overall impression it gives off might be that of afternoon, but this was actually shot in the broad daylight of the morning. It also seems a bit slanted, but I'm not sure if my eyes are deceiving me, since I swear I corrected that while editing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #650132 by Nikon Shooter

Danni_Shiv wrote: Unfortunately, a kit lens is not exactly a "great lens".

This capture could NEVER be helped by a better lens. 
The sky is well exposed and that's is about it. No main
subject, no attention grabber, and story telling… all of
these points are NOT lens dependant.

Technically recievable but, as a means of communication, 
seemingly falling very short. Keep at it! :)

Light is free… capturing it is not!

2 months 2 weeks ago #650179 by Sarit Kevesh
I agree with NS. The composition of the shot has to improve by having a better point of interest. 

2 months 2 weeks ago #650309 by Kelly Emery
Lights are good but the dark tones are too dark leaving the details charred. 

2 months 1 week ago #650441 by Hannah Williams
The sky is a bit overexposed. But it's a nice view from there: overlooking the city. 

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Canon T7i is an entry-level camera with some excellent features that will help you learn and grow as a photographer. Find out if it's the right camera for you in this Canon T7i review.

Sep 09, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Camera sling bags are a top choice for photographers that want functionality, comfort, and ease of use. Here's our pick for the top 5 camera sling bags of 2019.

Sep 18, 2019

Photo by Joe deSousa on Unsplash There are certain questionable tactics in the real estate game, like promising free pizzas for...

Sep 17, 2019

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

Not sure what to give the photographer on your shopping list? With a $5,000 budget, the possibilities are endless! Check out our picks for the best gifts for photographers under $5,000.

Sep 13, 2019

With these innovative camera accessories, you can extend the functionality and ease of use of your camera and give yourself a better ability to capture the beauty around you.

Sep 12, 2019

Learn how to master the art of wide-angle landscape photography with four simple tips that will greatly improve the quality of your landscape photos.

Sep 12, 2019

Are you sick of your gear weighing your shoulders down, causing undue neck and shoulder pain? With the new Holdfast Gear Tanker Belt, you can carry your gear in total comfort on your hips.

Sep 12, 2019

Photo by Prince Akachi on Unsplash #NoBudgetNoPhotos is going viral after a photographer, Nafa Ribeiro, revealed damning emails...

Sep 12, 2019