Thoughts on post processing

1 month 3 days ago #655389 by Vancopime
Just upgraded to Lightroom and still learning. What do you think of this simpleton's post processing?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 2 days ago #655465 by KCook
Very stylish. Style is always a personal thing, you will be your most demanding critic.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

1 month 2 days ago #655466 by Jared-Weaver
I'd say your 2nd image is the strongest overall. But let's go over all three, here's what I'm noticing:

Overall your images are quite dark in the foreground. Either add a radial filter or use the shadows slider. A little bit on the dehaze slider would also draw out more detail in the background. 

I like your 3rd image as well but the foreground is overpowering the bridge in the background. Cropping would help balance the image more between the striking rocks and the bridge. 

This is Twin Falls for sure. That's the Perrine Memorial Bridge! Are you a local or passing through? I'm in Meridian. 

Photo Comments

1 month 1 day ago #655517 by Vancopime
Thanks for the critique, I'll make some adjustments. I am from Twin Falls area originally but was just visiting family at the time. I have a sunrise image of the Perrine as well, it looks more stylized than it actually is, taken at early sunrise with a longer shutter speed without wind. I'm pretty happy how it turned out!

Attachments:

1 month 1 day ago #655616 by KCook

Vancopime wrote: Thanks for the critique, I'll make some adjustments. I am from Twin Falls area originally but was just visiting family at the time. I have a sunrise image of the Perrine as well, it looks more stylized than it actually is, taken at early sunrise with a longer shutter speed without wind. I'm pretty happy how it turned out!

Now that one is just plain dark!

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

1 month 20 hours ago #655634 by Vancopime
I disagree Kelly. To say it is just plain dark is wrong and the histogram proves it. In fact the image is much brighter than the ambient light in which it was taken. 

Attachments:

1 month 19 hours ago #655642 by garyrhook
You may, of course, disagree all you wish. But that doesn't make Kelly incorrect.

Your histogram supports the premise that the image is dark, as most of the data is blow the mid-point. However, I would characterize it as flat, lacking contrast and vibrancy. It definitely needs work to bring it to life.

N.B. "dark" isn't a bad thing. But there are elements that make a good image which are lacking here.

I'll add here that of the 3 initial images, the 2nd one has the strongest composition, but it's also the most flat. And therefore, less eye-catching. The sky in the third is nice, but the foreground, as pointed out, dominates the image to no advantage.

I think with some work both of those could be quite nice.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook, Vancopime

1 month 17 hours ago - 1 month 17 hours ago #655646 by Vancopime
OK thanks so much for the feed back. I made a few adjustments. Perhaps my originals (meaning the RAW files) may have been a bit under exposed and I was trying to avoid an over-processed look. How do these two look?

Attachments:

4 weeks 2 days ago #655809 by KCook

Vancopime wrote: OK thanks so much for the feed back. I made a few adjustments. Perhaps my originals (meaning the RAW files) may have been a bit under exposed and I was trying to avoid an over-processed look. How do these two look?

I do like these foregrounds better.  The skies are still a little flat.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Canon T7i is an entry-level camera with some excellent features that will help you learn and grow as a photographer. Find out if it's the right camera for you in this Canon T7i review.

Sep 09, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Looking to take your camera away from the crowds? Consider these off-the-beaten-path travel destinations for photographers as a great place to start!

Sep 20, 2019

Photo by Cristal Malek Photography Meet Cozette and Bordreaux. They're your typical parents, except they are French Bulldogs. But French Bulldogs enjoy the...

Sep 20, 2019

Video recording glasses have been around for awhile now, so they're nothing new. However, recent price drops have made them quite affordable. Check out the best video recording glasses on our list of budget-friendly options.

Sep 19, 2019

Camera sling bags are a top choice for photographers that want functionality, comfort, and ease of use. Here's our pick for the top 5 camera sling bags of 2019.

Sep 18, 2019

The Fujifilm X-A7 was recently announced as the successor to the X-A5. With some significant improvements, it might just be the best entry-level mirrorless camera on the market.

Sep 18, 2019

If your photo is flat and lacks much in the way of color and contrast, you can use these post-processing tips to add life to a flat photo.

Sep 17, 2019

Photo by Joe deSousa on Unsplash There are certain questionable tactics in the real estate game, like promising free pizzas for...

Sep 17, 2019

If you want to learn how to shoot professional video with a DSLR, start with these quick and simple videography tricks that will help you get better results.

Sep 16, 2019