Cave Delight

2 months 1 week ago #679869 by Alex
This shot was almost being a unicorn for me.  My last 4 times I had gone down to this location, conditions didn't work for me.  Last night MySunset app was showing this area to have a '74' forecast for lighting during sunset.  So at 6:07 pm I left my house and drove down to Laguna Beach to 1000 Steps Sea Cave, which was a 25 min drive.  Then to get to the spot from where you park, it's another 20 minutes... so timing was tight considering sunset was at 7:04 pm.  

What's funny is that I left so last minute, that I didn't check the tide report.  This was the first time being there when a VERY high tide was kicking, so my spot to get to was under about 3' of water.  I didn't expect this and was in pair of jeans and sneakers (vs my outdoor shoes I'm normally wearing).  Yep... I got wet.  

Here is the entrance... which as you can see is under a bit of water.  You get hear after after walking through 30' feet of surf that is about 2-3'.

My pants were soaked up to my pockets.  LOL

Here's the shot that I walked away with.  

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS R
Lens: RF15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM
ISO: 800
Aperture: f/9.0
Shutter speed: 0.3 sec
Captured: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 18:20pm

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #679871 by Stefan-Olsson
Nice....I'm going checking out that place once this corona thing is past us. Nice shot.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #679879 by Alex

Stefan-Olsson wrote: Nice....I'm going checking out that place once this corona thing is past us. Nice shot.

Thanks bud, heck once this whole self isolation thing is over, we should go shooting some time!  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #679884 by Stefan-Olsson
Absolutely, I would totally be up for that......Keeping fingers crossed this is over soon.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #679891 by Shadowfixer1
I've been waiting to see this one since you talked about planning to go there in a video. Great scene and well worth the wading but you may have pushed the processing just a little too much. The halo along the cave entrance needs to dealt with if you are going to be pushing the processing this hard. It is a beautiful scene even so.

2 months 1 week ago #679895 by garyrhook
Yes, a beautiful scene. The framing is quite nice and we have a very clear sense of where we are. So kudos.

I agree with the above regarding the PP. The halo is too pronounced, and the blue is a bit over the top for me. I think it should be a supporting player, but here it wants the lead part. And that should go to the yellows and oranges.

I'd also like to see just a smidge more detail in the cave walls.

$0.02. Worth the hassle to make this happen.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #679997 by Aaron Rogers
Well done for these shots! Worth the journey. 

2 months 6 days ago #680089 by Pat White
I bet this would look nice B&W too

2 months 6 days ago #680159 by Joshua Atkins

Alex wrote: This shot was almost being a unicorn for me.  My last 4 times I had gone down to this location, conditions didn't work for me.  Last night MySunset app was showing this area to have a '74' forecast for lighting during sunset.  So at 6:07 pm I left my house and drove down to Laguna Beach to 1000 Steps Sea Cave, which was a 25 min drive.  Then to get to the spot from where you park, it's another 20 minutes... so timing was tight considering sunset was at 7:04 pm.  

What's funny is that I left so last minute, that I didn't check the tide report.  This was the first time being there when a VERY high tide was kicking, so my spot to get to was under about 3' of water.  I didn't expect this and was in pair of jeans and sneakers (vs my outdoor shoes I'm normally wearing).  Yep... I got wet.  

Here is the entrance... which as you can see is under a bit of water.  You get hear after after walking through 30' feet of surf that is about 2-3'.

My pants were soaked up to my pockets.  LOL

Here's the shot that I walked away with.  

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS R
Lens: RF15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM
ISO: 800
Aperture: f/9.0
Shutter speed: 0.3 sec
Captured: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 18:20pm

Really good frame and light! Awesome! 

2 months 5 days ago #680293 by Adam Wilson
The colors are amazing! 

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

Latest Articles

There are many reasons why you should print on metal, including the durability and uniqueness of metal prints, as well as all the options you have for customizing your print.

May 29, 2020

Razer has unleashed the 2020 version of their Blade 15 Studio, and it is an incredible machine with the power visual creatives need.

May 29, 2020

Canvas or paper prints can be a nice addition to your home, but each one has distinct advantages and disadvantages that are helpful to know before you buy.

May 27, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

I have two high-powered laptops on my desk. In this Macbook vs Razer comparison, I'll break these computers down by specs, pros, and cons.

May 27, 2020

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

If you're in the market for a new camera strap and you want something custom and handmade, look no further than these custom camera straps from Holdfast.

May 26, 2020

You can learn nude photography with any kind of camera. What's more important is to focus on the process and making the model (and yourself) as comfortable as possible.

May 26, 2020