Tütgenmühle (another abandoned mill) - HELP NEEDED

3 years 4 months ago #703982 by Esseff
Another abandoned mill near me. A very photogenic site but I am struggling with grainy/unsharp photos lately. Would really appreciate any insight as to why my photos lack that sharp, crisp detail that I see from other users here.

Attachments:
3 years 4 months ago #703984 by Nikon Shooter
Yes SF, terrible affliction if anything… I would try to help
but I know not much of the gear you use.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #703988 by Scotty
Are you sharpening your photos?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #704000 by Esseff

Nikon Shooter wrote: Yes SF, terrible affliction if anything… I would try to help
but I know not much of the gear you use.

Canon 600D
18-55mm
Tripod

The lighting on the day was actually very good. Trying my utmost to move away from taking photos on auto all the time and use the manual settings. In this case (iirc) shutter speed was set to 1/400, aperture to f13 and iso to 3200. RAW. I'm thinking maybe the higher shutter speed and aperture are the cause. When you zoom in there is absolutely no sharpness/clarity, just a very grainy image devoid of detail.

3 years 4 months ago #704001 by Esseff

Scotty wrote: Are you sharpening your photos?

No.

3 years 4 months ago #704082 by db3348
To me ,  your ISO sounds  like the culprit for the 'grainy' effect .  Could  you come down in ISO ? ,  say 400 or 800 ,   especially since  " lighting on the day was actually very good " and camera was on tripod .   That  would still enable  a respectable and useful shutter speed and aperture .

Also ,   are  you using auto-focus or manual focus ,  and  (in particular no#2 )  were you focusing on the building or the bush in front of it ?  The focus seems 'lost' .

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #704098 by Esseff

db3348 wrote: To me ,  your ISO sounds  like the culprit for the 'grainy' effect .  Could  you come down in ISO ? ,  say 400 or 800 ,   especially since  " lighting on the day was actually very good " and camera was on tripod .   That  would still enable  a respectable and useful shutter speed and aperture .

I did what NS suggested a while back put the ISO on auto. Its keeps jumping to high values. Also (noob question alert) if I reduce the ISO to say 800 does that mean I will need a slower shutter speed? Maybe 1/100 instead of 1/400?

db3348 wrote: That  would still enable  a respectable and useful shutter speed and aperture .

What is a 'respectful' shutter speed and aperture? Is there a target value or range to aim for?

db3348 wrote: Also ,   are  you using auto-focus or manual focus ,  and  (in particular
no#2 )  were you focusing on the building or the bush in front of it ? 
The focus seems 'lost' .

I was trying to get it all in (and bungled it massively). Using manual focus.

3 years 4 months ago #704209 by Scotty

Esseff wrote:

Scotty wrote: Are you sharpening your photos?

No.

You just answered your own question. I'm guessing you're shooting RAW?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #704231 by Piechura
If you're on a tripod and it's a static subject like this, then you can go as slow as you want with your shutter speed (unless the trees are moving a lot and you want them sharp too). I'd reduce the shutter speed to a speed that allows you to use the native ISO (probably 100). A shutter speed of 400 would be enough to freeze most moving subjects, so you definitely don't need to go that high with a building. The other thing to be careful of at when using a slow shutter is camera shake, so I use a delayed shutter, so that when you take a picture, you're not accidentally moving the camera when you press the button.

Also you might try taking a number of photos at different apertures to check which ones come out sharpest. Lenses will typically have a range where they're sharpest.

3 years 4 months ago #704236 by Esseff

Scotty wrote: You just answered your own question.

I assumed you meant do I sharpen them in PP. No I didn't. Not sure how that answered my own question...  :dry:

Scotty wrote: I'm guessing you're shooting RAW?

Yes

3 years 4 months ago #704237 by Esseff

Piechura wrote: If you're on a tripod and it's a static subject like this, then you can go as slow as you want with your shutter speed (unless the trees are moving a lot and you want them sharp too). I'd reduce the shutter speed to a speed that allows you to use the native ISO (probably 100). A shutter speed of 400 would be enough to freeze most moving subjects, so you definitely don't need to go that high with a building. The other thing to be careful of at when using a slow shutter is camera shake, so I use a delayed shutter, so that when you take a picture, you're not accidentally moving the camera when you press the button.

Also you might try taking a number of photos at different apertures to check which ones come out sharpest. Lenses will typically have a range where they're sharpest.

Helpful. I use a two second delay on the shutter. I will try a lower ISO and increase decrease the shutter speed. It kinda makes sense actually. Thanks. :)

3 years 4 months ago #704254 by Nikon Shooter
I could possibly attempt to answer you concern under the
condition you would share the RAW files for appreciation.

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #704287 by Esseff

Nikon Shooter wrote: I could possibly attempt to answer you concern under the
condition you would share the RAW files for appreciation.

I can't attached it here. Too large. I will pm you a dropbox link.

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #704288 by Nikon Shooter
Sorry SF, your PP is somehow faulty. See your DB!

Photo Comments
Attachments:

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024