Comparison photo (Gazebo by the river)

3 years 3 months ago #708257 by butcha61
I took my Nikon D3500 with the "kit lens" Nikkor AF-P DX f/3.5-4.5G VR and took a quick drive down to the James River here in Richmond, VA.  I found one of the, uh, "very comfortably well off" type of homeowners along the river, and saw their beautiful gazebo out along the riverbank.  I walked right to the Private Property, No Trespassing sign, and very carefully aligned myself and my D3500 and took these two photos.

Which one looks better?

f/6.3 1/160 shutter, ISO 100

Or this one?

f/8 1/250 shutter, ISO 180

Attachments:
3 years 2 months ago #708271 by Freshstart
The frame isn't telling me a story, but I would say the bottom one has more color and saturation to it.   I would try getting closer and filling your frame with the gazebo.  

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: butcha61
3 years 2 months ago #708290 by butcha61
I could have used my 70-300mm and zoomed in a little more.  But as it was, I was right near the fence railing by the "No Trespassing" sign, and didn't want to get in trouble with the homeowner.

3 years 2 months ago #708325 by Sarit Kevesh
Story-telling of the shot has to improve. Keep trying. 

3 years 2 months ago #708353 by Thelgord
Others have already commented on the story telling part, so I will mention the settings, but only because you include them. 

From shot #1 to #2 you went from f/6.3 to f/8. This made the image almost 1 full stop darker. It also changed the depth of field, but only slightly. The only noticeable difference in the bush in foreground is slightly sharper in shot #2. 

You also went from ISO 100 to 180. This made the image almost one full stop brighter. Basically the two just about canceled each other out. 

Additional you changed your shutter speed from 1/160s to 1/250s which works out to about a half stop darker (~ish). In the end, you ended up with only about a half stop darker image in #2 with virtually the same depth of field. 

Why is this good or bad? 

Shot #1 is good because it is brighter, so you have preserved more detail in the shadows. This is visible near the stack of stones near the gazebo. It can be bad because you can lose some of the highlight details. You didn't seem to lose a lot here. 

Shot #2 is good because is darker, and therefore you have preserved more highlight detail. This can be seen in the color transition in the sky when compared to shot #1. Shot #2 has a much smoother transition. However, you lost some details in the chimney, the stack of stones next to the gazebo, and the wood tiles on the roof of the gazebo, which are in deeper shadows. 

All of these can be changed and/or manipulated in software, usually by one or two full stops rather easily. This is especially true if you shoot raw. You can even stack images to increase your dynamic range beyond the normal capabilities of your camera. Honestly, both shots are nearly identical. 

I do think it is great that you are changing settings and comparing results. This is a good exercise to help you learn your camera. Keep doing it! :) 

3 years 2 months ago #708370 by butcha61
@Thelgord

Thank you for the detailed reply! Wow... I wanted to try to learn composition, light vs shadows, etc... and though to myself, "what if I took two photos of the same thing but with different settings?"

Photo 1: "P"rogrammed Auto mode. It chose f/6.3 1/160 shutter, ISO 100.
Photo 2: "A"perture Priority mode -- I changed the toggle wheel so it would go to f/8 and the Nikon adjusted the other settings.

I'm still learning as I go. If I seriously screw up a photo, I learn what NOT to do, delete it, and try again.

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024